What does a Software Developer do?
A Software Developer serves as a member of the software development team. They aid in the innovation and creation of company software and programs. Generally found in tech-heavy industries and large corporations, a Software Developer will work alongside a team of programmers to code programs that meet the need of the company or client. They seek to facilitate the proper design and implementation of software. From detailed computer coding to innovative design, a Software Developer is an asset when creating a seamless software experience for customers.
A Software Developer will usually hold a degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. A Software Developer works on both technical and design aspects of software projects. A proactive approach to problem-solving as well as a detailed understanding of coding is essential. Additionally, employers may seek to hire those with specialized certifications in computer languages such as Java or PHP. The most desirable Software Developer candidates will possess a positive teamwork approach and seek to continually improve their skill-set.
- Collaborate with team members to determine best practices and client requirements for software
- Develop intuitive software that meets and exceeds the needs of the company
- Professionally maintain all software and create updates regularly to address customer and company concerns
- Analyze and test programs and products before formal launch
- Troubleshoot coding problems quickly and efficiently to ensure a productive workplace
- Ensure software security by developing programs to actively monitor the sharing of private information
- Actively seek ways to improve business software processes and interactions
- Aid and support the coaching and training of other team members to ensure all employees are confident in the use of software applications
- 3-5 years of experience developing and implementing software applications
- Professional program certification in Java is strongly preferred
- Experience working on large-scale software projects
- Professional experience using cybersecurity and open source technology
- Experience developing software utilizing various coding languages including Java, C++, PHP and more
- Outstanding collaboration and communication skills are essential
- Experience developing secure software systems based upon industry specifications
- Analyze code for weaknesses and errors, and present detailed plans to improve them
- Experience developing customized code for multiple projects simultaneously
Software Developer Career Path
Learn how to become a Software Developer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Software Developer Insights
“This was a remote internship but it was surprisingly engaging and fun for being a remote role.”
“I have worked 4 years in this company environment is good and the best part is HR miss.”
“I would highly recommend others to apply and work in this awesome and fun workplace.”
“My particular position within the IS department was not very challenging and there was no opportunity for career advancement.”
“It is good for those people who want to have a great career in software development and software testing.”
“very low salary and development is not guaranteed if you have been deployed as a support.”
“There's no politics to deal with and meetings are kept to a minimum which is great as a developer.”
“401(k) matching is not great (50% up to 6%? Pretty sad honestly)”
Software Developer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of software developers
Software developers design and create programs that enable users to perform specific tasks on a computer such as playing games, watching movies, etc. Specialized software is created to cater to the demands of what users need, meaning a software developer's skills are sought after in a majority of industries.
For those with technical aptitude and interest, software development is a wonderful career. If you are interested in becoming a software developer, consider that the qualities needed to excel in this field include curiosity that drives you to learn, experiment, and look for new solutions. In addition, the demand for software developers is growing and the field looks promising.
Software development is considered a difficult field, but if you have a passion for technology and innovation, it can be incredibly rewarding. You will need strong technical skills and the ability to adapt to stressful situations. If you have these qualities, you should enjoy the rewards of working as a software developer.