What does a Software QA Engineer do?
A QA engineer is responsible for the creation of tests to identify issues with software before the product launch. Duties include identifying and analyzing any bugs and errors found during the test phase and documenting them for review after. Other tasks include developing and running new tests, reporting on the results and collaborating with software developers to fix program issues. Depending on the internal organizational structure, QA engineers may progress to a managerial or executive position.
A bachelor's degree in computer science is often required to become a QA engineer with an expected proficiency in computer programming languages such as Java, Python, SQL, C++ and XML. Strong working knowledge of Linux and Microsoft Windows is a must along with extensive experience in software development and testing. Due to the nature of the job, a QA engineer must be able to sit in front of a computer for long hours at a time.
- Create tests to identify software problems
- Analyze bugs and errors found during tests
- Document results of tests for the software development team
- Recommend improvements in software to enhance user experience
- Motivate the development process for efficiency and performance
- Works together with the software developer to enhance and improve programs
- Research and compare similar competitor products
- Maintain updated knowledge of industry trends and advancements
- Extensive experience in software development and testing
- High proficiency in computer technology and programming languages
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Microsoft Windows
- In-depth understanding of Java, Python, SQL, C++ and XML
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Great team player and able to work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Able to sit in front of a computer for long hours at a time
Software QA Engineer Salaries
Average Base Pay
Software QA Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Software QA Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Software QA Engineer Insights
“Good place to start your career as we get a lot to learn and package is really good”
“But one person is really dumb and inconsiderate and treat others like his personal slaves.”
“Best part of working with layer is the cool and awesome people you get to work with.”
“Nowadays I'm spending time on Performance testing and Agile transformation training which is so exciting.”
“This is first app/market place in debt market arena which brings huge attraction and career opportunity for growth.”
“Good pay for your work and recognition if you and your work are worth it.”
“I have had a great opportunity to really focus on improving my skills and using my expertise to help others.”
“Good payment for your work and recognises you if you and your work is worth of.”
Software QA Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of QA engineers
A typical day of a QA engineer(https://www.glassdoor.com/Career/qa-engineer-career_KO0,11.htm)is at the computer creating and updating test cases. They conduct manual testing of hardware and software, analyze data, and monitor bug resolutions. QA engineers also plan test schedules, track successes, and review documentation.
A QA engineer is an excellent career. Some of the best things about being a QA engineer are that training can be done on the job, there are good career opportunities, and there is plenty of room for advancement. It is an excellent way to get into the IT field and QA engineers are in high demand.