What does a Solutions Engineer do?
A Solutions Engineer interfaces with customers and identifies their needs. A Solutions Engineer with then work with various departments from network engineers, support and operations to ensure a plan is in motion to improve the customer's experience. A Solutions Engineer works to balance various aspects of the project, from safety to design. Additionally, a Solutions Engineer researches advanced technology regarding best practices in the field and seek to find cost-effective solutions.
A Solutions Engineer is generally located within a large company and work alongside other professionals to meet customer's needs. They usually begin as Technical Architects and as they advance on their career path within the company will become promoted to the role. A bachelor's degree is required for the position, with many holding degrees in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related engineering fields. Individuals with a firm holistic understanding of both the operational and scope aspects of projects tend to excel in this position.
- Work closely with Information Technology professionals within the company to ensure hardware is available for projects and working properly
- Provide detailed specifications for proposed solutions including time and scope involved
- Assist other department engineers in creating practical demonstrations of proposed solutions and demonstrating them to other members of the team
- Establish a framework for necessary contributions from various departments and facilitate their collaboration
- Analyze current technologies used within the company and develop steps and processes to improve
- Document and monitor requirements needed to institute proposed updates in relation to customer experience
- Work alongside project management teams to successfully monitor progress and implementation of initiatives
- Account for possible project challenges or constraints and proactively seek to manage challenges
- Project development and leadership skill are preferred
- Experience developing IT and cloud infrastructure
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering preferred
- Up to date understanding of best practices regarding system security measures
- Experience with software engineering, customer experience and design architecture
- Advanced understanding of business analysis techniques and processes
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with various operating systems
- Professional work experience in analyzing computer hardware and software
- Ability to work with various departments to facilitate the orderly execution of a proposed project plan
Solutions Engineer Salaries
Average Base Pay
Solutions Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Solutions Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Solutions Engineer Insights
“Some of the best people I met worked at Presidio (both technical and genuine people)”
“It is a very exciting place to work and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every day!”
“Everyone was so helpful and genuinely wanted to see me be successful in my role.”
“I look forward to coming to work and fill satisfied knowing I put in a great workday.”
“Everyone is a pleasure to work with and you are surrounded by the best talent in the industry.”
“Manager and VP are 2 of the best leaders I have ever had the opportunity to work for.”
“Incredible amount of opportunity for you to grow your career in the path that best suits you”
“Good place to start your career so you can go somewhere you will be valued.”
Solutions Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Solutions Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Process Engineer
The most common qualifications to become a Solutions Engineer is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.