What does a Supply Chain Specialist do?
Supply chain specialists ensure supply chain performance in aspects ranging from order to shipment to billing and customer service. They supervise and oversee employees and departments within the supply chain and ensure the process runs smoothly. They work in shipping, manufacturing, or supply chain management companies or on a consulting basis and analyze and coordinate a company's supply chain. They are responsible for procuring materials in the manufacturing and shipment of a final product, negotiating price and shipment terms, overseeing the process, and delivering materials needed to fulfill a customer order.
Supply chain specialists maintain adequate inventory and schedule and receive materials shipments. They assess current orders and forecast future demand to provide adequate supplies and remain mindful of significant demand changes by responding to changes and solving problems that may arise. They remain in constant communication with customers to avoid unforeseen charges or surprise in orders they must input and process alongside billing and paperwork oversight. Supply chain specialists need a bachelor's degree in logistics, business engineering, or supply chain management.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies, company policies and procedures.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and challenge the status quo.
- Verify the accuracy of all shipments as they are delivered.
- Meet or exceed all customer key performance metrics and objectives.
- Notify the appropriate parties of any issues or concerns with deliveries.
- Assist with local institutions for the lending, borrowing of products and instruments as required.
- Involved in the hiring process and customer meetings as necessary.
- Facilitate and manage any vendor issues (cost, quality, delivery, A/P issues).
- Identify opportunities to reduce cost, improve efficiency and manage risk through targeted negotiations.
- Participate on project teams and attends meetings as assigned.
- Supervise most processes directly including workforce and equipment scheduling.
- Assist with the development of subcontract terms and conditions.
- Responsible for source selection from contract proposal to execution phases.
- Manage supplier performance from issuance of order through close-out.
- Complete reporting for on-time performance of the carrier for the customer.
- Coordinate and collaborate with key stakeholders such as external customers, contracts, property, security and legal.
- Effectively manage and evaluate sales performance, and mentor sales team to help reach sales goals.
- Implement and maintain an incident free safety culture at the operation.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, business engineering or engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with CSCP,CPSM, and cloud software and systems.
- Confident in negotiation and problem solving.
- Demonstrated leadership and attention to detail.
- Comfortable working collaboratively to solve problems.
- Will strive for continuous improvement.
- Fluent in requirements definition and project lifecycle needs.
- Comfortable using computing, and teleworking when needed.
- Able to assist with rollouts and renewals.
Supply Chain Specialist Salaries near India
Average Base Pay
Supply Chain Specialist Career Path
Learn how to become a Supply Chain Specialist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Supply Chain Specialist Insights
“I always arrived happy knowing I was part of a fabulous team doing fantastic things and helping fun people.”
“Pay is not great considering how much physical labor you do as a supply chain associate.”
“Gave me an excellent Opportunity to learn more about the Middle East supply chain market.”
“good work life balance and learning”
“If you want to grow in your career and learn a lot then don't join.”
“Good good good good good”
“Highly recommend for a start to your career Remote work Great Benefits Easy to move cross functional”
“Flexible Schedule and I can't think of anything else”
Supply Chain Specialist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Supply Chain Specialist
- Demand Planner
- Supply Chain Manager
- Supply Chain Analyst