Apple Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 28 Mar 2019

3.3

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy. I talked to 9 different people on the phone, presented a case study onsite and had 2 hours of lunch/interview on site. At the end, I did not hear from them for almost two weeks. I sent an email to follow up and after 3 days, the recruiter sent me "no thank you" email with no feedback. I asked for greater feedback as I had gone through almost 10 hours of interview with them. I never heard back. It is very disappointing to see the hiring process is a "one-way" road for Apple: when they need you, they keep calling you. When they don't, they disappear. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Internal Apple recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn, and set up a a phone call between me and one of the team members. It was a technical phone screening. Then I moved on to the next phone screen with the team lead, which was another technical phone screen. Then another call with the recruiter to set up the onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of a 40 minutes presentation which I prepared a lot for. I had 8 rounds of interviews in one day with 8 people form the team and other teams. Some interviews were technical and some behavioral. I was there onsite from 10AM with back-to-back interviews. The recruiting coordinator "forgot" to schedule a time for lunch. So I had to go through the day without eating until 5PM. Rooms were not reserved for some interviews and we had walk around to find an available room. It was a total mess. After 8 rounds of interviews and 40 minutes of presentation I was done.

After more than 1 month that I did not hear from them, I sent an email to them asking for some feedback. they said we are working on it and will get back to you. I again did not hear form them for another two weeks. So I sent another email again asking for feedback. Then the recruiter called me and said all the reviews were great, and all the candidates were good, it was a hard decision and we had to move forward with the candidate who go the highest score.

That's fine if you do not want to move forward with an applicant. But not giving them any feedback for more than one month, and blaming it on "we are very busy, and have too much on our plates" is not an acceptable excuse. Candidates spent days preparing for such interviews and it is very disrespectful not to even care to email them back with the decision. I am sure had I not emailed them, I would not have heard back for another month. very disrespectful!

Interview Questions

• The asked a question about set cover.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen from recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, technical interview, onsite interview. They were extremely slow at every step. I had to follow up several times between each step just to make sure they were still considering me. It's been a few months since I did the onsite interview and I still haven't heard a definite yes or no even after following up with every person on the recruiting team.

Interview Questions

• Every interview was a relaxed conversation. I asked as many or more questions than they asked me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

Initial interview steps were quite straightforward. Good conversation with the hiring manager, lots of alignment between my skills and their needs. Moved forward to technical screen, 1 hour of Python exercises and general data science reasoning. I'm not a brilliant coder but I was able to talk through my solutions and their shortcomings so I got invited to a full day on-site.

That's where things went sideways. Apple is incredibly secretive about the interview process, so not only did they not tell me who I would be meeting with, they refused to even tell me what subject matter would be covered. Naturally, I prepared in line with what I had discussed with the hiring manager and given my understanding of the role. I was then blindsided by interview after interview of highly technical machine learning and software development practice interviews, none of which focused on the actual application areas that were at the core of the role (NLP and dataset management). It was almost as if I was suddenly interviewing for a different job. Needless to say, things didn't work out.

Oh and then Apple refused to reimburse any of my expenses related to the onsite visit.

Interview Questions

• Describe for me in detail the difference between L1 and L2 regularization, specifically as regards the difference in their impact on the model training process itself   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in May 2018.

Interview

Get contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn. Schedule a phone interview one week later. Recruiter doesn't share any useful aspects on the interview. I was told that I can code in any language but turns out I need to code in Python, which is not my preferred language. Interviewer also asked a few machine learning questions and I answered them well, I believe.

Interview Questions

• what's bias variance tradeoff. How is XGBoost handling bias-variance tradeoff? Code in Python to find anagrams in a list and print out list of anagrams.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

1, HR calls (30 min, asking about your background)
    2, Hiring Manager ( asking more details about your projects, technical)
    3, take home assessment (data analysis take home assessment, 1 week to do)
    4, onsite interview ( 7 rounds, with managers from different teams)

Interview Questions

• loading json, how to store json file, data collection part. Questions regarding quality assurance of design of a product. Free lunch with hiring manager under 10 dollars, however, it's a INTERVIEW, he/she will ask you some projects. Asking about statistics, pdf, cdf. Meet with manager of hiring manager. Do some python.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

16 people interviewed me in two days!! That was crazy! A variety of questions were asked, from teasers, programming questions to statistical questions. I liked how smart interviewers were.

Interview Questions

• My background and specially internship experiences   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Started with 2-3 phone screens after being contacted initially by a recruiter internal to Apple. They then brought me on-site to the Cupertino, CA campus to meet 5 interviewers, which varied from programmers, data scientists, to managers and directors. The interview on-ste consisted of general knowledge questions regarding programming and statistics/math. There was an example of how to model certain data sets.

Interview Questions

• How do you take millions of users with 100's of transactions each, amongst 10k's of products and group the users together in a meaningful segments?   3 Answers

Negotiation

Negotiation is straightforward. They usually come with a very aggressive offer, so dont expect to try and "squeeze" out much more from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I was prepared for this interview. I aced the take-home offline coding challenge. I correctly answered the technical challenges during the onsite. I got along with everyone on the team during lunch. After the interview I felt that I was highly qualified for the role. I surmise that it came down to culture fit. It took time and energy that could have been devoted to pursuing other prospects but it served as a good way of polishing my presentation skills for subsequent interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Hectic but intriguing. I had one phone interview(45 mins) and then onsite round comprising of 5 rounds. The phone interview comprised of a case based on which technical and statistical questions were asked. The expectation of team was not clear as they wanted Data Scientist to know data engineering, analytics and developer work as well.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.