Auto Trader UK Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Auto Trader UK Interview Questions

Interviews at Auto Trader UK

3.4

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2020.

Interview

45 minute pairing exercise, observed by another developer that required simple file reading, and aggregation to calculate a value. The language I picked was Scala, but the project files to complete were written in a more Java style (try/catch/finally) over Scala's Try. As there were technical problems I couldn't actually 'take the wheel' and instead described how I thought we should progress. This was quite a frustrating experience as we became bogged down in a simple file loading task. It also became clear as the exercise went on that we were thinking about the code from different paradigms (them: Imperative, me: Functional) and I got the impression the person that I was pairing with was new to Scala, as at one point they thought to reminded me that the last statement in a code block was the return value, and would occasionally slip in to Python snake case naming convention.

After the 45 minutes were up we were only just approaching a solution, which I ended up describing. Given a chance to 'take the wheel' we could have completed the task in about 20-25 minutes. Overall I thought this was a really poor way of assessing my ability as a developer - I didn't write a line of code. Whilst pairing and communication skills are important, there was no real assessment of my technical ability.

Once the 45 minutes are up, you either fail, or pass to carry on the rest of the day. Perhaps given the technical issues I was allowed to pass. What followed was a few hours of technical and values questions with two different developers. There were some slightly tricky questions, but mostly they were relatively straight forward.

At the end of the day I got the impression that this wouldn't be the place to go if you wanted to write idiomatic Scala, and further your knowledge in this area. They also advocate pairing (seemingly almost always pairing) which could be a deal breaker for some.

Also I was told I would hear back the following week, but have no contact from them almost a month later.

Interview Questions

Auto Trader UK Response

12 Aug 2020 – Resourcer

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to interview with us. I am sorry that you feel your assessment experience wasn't up to the standard that we aspire to. I will try to address the points you have raised but if you like to discuss anything further email me at recruitment@autotrader.co.uk.
    I have identified that you took part in a virtual assessment, carried out over Microsoft Teams. We've worked hard to ensure candidates get a great experience in this environment by sending a detailed assessment guide, video interview tips and by carrying out a pre-assessment check in call to ensure tech is working; it is therefore frustrating that tech issues arose. We are aware that we did suffer from some technical issues in one assessment that resulted in the candidate not being able to type into the shared screen containing the IDE. We have reviewed the situation and if it were to happen again, we would offer the candidate the opportunity to reschedule.
    At Auto Trader we have a culture of collaborative development. The aim of the pairing exercise is to observe how candidates solve problems and how effective they are at working with others; the emphasis is on behaviours over completeness. This means there should be a collaborative atmosphere with space for healthy debate about the relative merits of different technical approaches.
    The Data Engineering team at Auto Trader come from diverse backgrounds and benefit from the different experiences that come with that. We believe this diversity makes us better overall, but doubtless idioms from other languages do creep in occasionally.
    In regard to your comments on Scala, Data Engineering is building Auto Trader's self-serve data platform. We only use Scala to write Apache Spark applications. We will sometimes embrace non-idiomatic Scala when alternative syntax would be more easily understood by the wider developer community at Auto Trader that is less familiar with Scala
    I am sorry that you have not had feedback, having reviewed emails I cannot see when this has been missed. We always aim to give clear feedback that is based on evidence and aids development so please do reach out to us directly so we can share this with you.
    I have shared your advice and feedback with the team and we have explored it together in detail so thanks again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Graduate Account Builder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2020.

Interview

The process comprised of 5 stages:
    1) Online written application
    2) Online tests (verbal, mathematical and diagrammatic reasoning)
    3) Telephone interview - around 30 minutes, exploring why I wanted to work for Autotrader, what I knew about the company, and why I had applied for this role
    4) Assessment Day - this was all done online because of COVID, but we were given 2 weeks to prepare, and had a 10 minute meeting the week before to check we understood how to use Microsoft Teams. The day itself consisted of 4 assessed tasks: a 15 minute presentation, a roleplay, a 1 hour interview, and a group task
    5) Interview with a member of the OLT which lasted around an hour. This explored my motivations for applying, and how my own personal values fit in with Autotrader's

The recruitment team were very helpful at every stage, always keeping us up to date with where they were up to with reviewing applications, or when the next stage would be. I think the process was meant to be completed in a much shorter time period, but because of COVID there was a 2 month gap between the telephone interview and assessment day. But we were kept well informed throughout this period with regular emails which was very helpful.

Throughout the process it was clear that Autotrader really cared about us as individuals, and that they would put a lot of time and effort into our careers and training if we were to get the job. We were always given the opportunity to ask questions, whether this be to the recruitment team prior to interviews, or to employees who worked in the job roles we would be doing were we to get the job - for example, there was an opportunity to talk to current graduates, as well as ask our interviewers questions at the end of each interview. All the interviewers were very friendly and made a clear effort to help us feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Autotrader?
      Why do you want this specific role?
      Which of our values resonates with you the most?
      Give an example of a time you have demonstrated each of Autotrader's values.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK in July 2020.

Interview

I applied online in February 2020. The process consisted of:
    - Written application submission
    - Online tests
    - Phone interview with a member of the team
    - Online assessment centre (interview, presentation, group task)
    - Final interview with a member of the leadership team

The process was delayed and altered to be online throughout as a result of COVID-19, but the resourcing team made sure to keep us up to date during the process. It was decided that the assessment centre was to be delivered online and this worked really well, especially considering this was one of the first done this way.

I would thoroughly recommend applying to Auto Trader and had a great experience during the application process. Everyone I engaged with was professional yet friendly and communication was excellent throughout the process, despite the unprecedented situation.

Interview Questions

• Motivation questions on joining, competency based questions around their values   Answer Question

Graduate SEO & Content Executive Interview

Application

Interview

I was invited to a virtual assessment centre, where I had to make a presentation, complete a content creation task, complete a group exercise and answer interview and values-based questions.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of when you were community-minded.   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2020.

Interview

The process was really good, the hiring manager was super friendly and helpful in the initial stages of the process. Interviews were conducted over Microsoft teams and though unsuccessful in the role I recieved great feedback.

Interview Questions

• My knowledge of the companies values   1 Answer

Graduate Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2020.

Interview

The application is both a challenging and thorough process, but a great opportunity to demonstrate what you can bring to the role at each of the six stages:

1. Online application and submission of CV.
    2. Online tests.
    3. Telephone interview - lasting around 30 minutes, exploring your motivations for applying to Auto Trader. Also a chance to ask any questions you have about the role or company.
    4. Assessment day - consists of a 1 hour interview, a role play task, a 15 minute presentation, and a group task. We were also given a tour of the office and introduced to the current graduates on the scheme, which was a great opportunity to ask lots of questions about the role. You receive all the information about the day well in advance giving you plenty of time to prepare! A couple of weeks after the day you’ll receive an in-depth feedback phone call from a member of the Resourcing Team.
    5. More tests, including a personality questionnaire.
    6. Final stage is an interview with a member of the Operational Leadership Team - focussing more on you as a person from a values perspective, and your expectations of the role.

The assessors are all very professional and super friendly, and they made the whole experience really enjoyable! The Resourcing Team are wonderful and keep you well-informed on what to expect at each stage. Overall, the process gives you a brilliant insight into life at Auto Trader.

Digital Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Application initially, followed up with online aptitude test, follow up assessment day, interview internally with team members and head of dept. The process lasted around a month in total. After which, I was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have turned a challenging situation into a positive outcome   Answer Question

Auto Trader UK Response

27 Dec 2019 – Head of People and Culture

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at one of our assessments. We are glad it was a positive one and looking forward to welcoming you to Auto Trader.

Digital Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)) in September 2019.

Interview

Short phone call with recruiter followed by on-site, consisting of values alignment section and presentation on previous work.

Seemed more concerned with ticking "aligns with company values" boxes than actually getting to know my approach to work and achievements - then had to cut the second section short due to time spent on the first. At time of interviewing no solid plan for the function of the role. I conclude this is a company where talk is more important than performance and in retrospect was immaterial whether I got an offer as would not have been right for me. Surprising due to company reputation so maybe just a facet of the particular department.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)) in August 2019.

Interview

First there was a "getting to know each other" activity on the assessment day. After that there was a customer scenario - the customer broke down and I had to take on the role of an adviser - calming and helping the customer

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in August 2019.

Interview

Interview initially comprised of four stages; online application via the AT website, numerical, verbal and abstract reasoning tests online, a phone interview and an assessment day. At each point in the process bar the reasoning tests, AT are interested in you as a person, your ambitions for joining the company and your interest/experience in the specific role.

The assessment day usually involves a one to one interview and a group task amongst other activities. If you are successful in reaching this stage , you are given plenty of information in advance, and time to prepare for the day

Throughout the whole process AT ensure you are made to feel welcome and really put in the effort to give you the most relaxing space to be your honest self. Their recruitment team is a testament to the quality of Auto Trader as market leader, overall very impressed.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.