Commonwealth Bank of Australia Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated 29 Feb 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 5 of over 722 interviews

3.2
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Sydney) in Feb 2020

Interview

CBA recruiters contacted me and I submitted my CV. My overall experience was positive for the recruiting process but negative for the interviewers. Recruiters were the best, very supportive and friendly. The interviewers for a phone screening were a bit disrespectful and unprofessional. One interviewer kept cutting my talk and insisted a wrong answer for one-class classification task (the interviewer admitted later, though). An assessment was given to me after the phone interview. After submitting it, I had a face-to-face interview with two senior-level data scientists. The interview itself was not organised well and different from what I have experienced with other companies in the past. They didn't even look at the second task of the assessment (clearly said 15 min were allowed to present this), and they didn't seem to be interested in my work. Neither seemed to know much about AI (this role is for an AI data scientist). No technical ML related questions other than a few data analysis questions. Instead of asking about AI and data science, the interviewers were more into asking questions related to data analysis. I'm pretty sure anyone could get this AI data scientist position without ML/AI knowledge. I'm pretty sad not because I didn't get an offer but because I got to know the level of their knowledge on AI even in one of big 4 banks (I have had chats with many senior-level AI data scientists before). Overall, I don't think they know much about Data Science or Machine Learning/AI, nor do they know what people who have those skills are making.

Interview Questions
  • How do you maximise profit based on the outcomes of data analysis?
    1 Answer
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (New York, NY)

Interview

I felt it was not difficult. General questions, nothing particular. I wasted good time in solving their exercise and in the end there was even no feedback.

Interview Questions
14 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (New York, NY) in Oct 2015

Interview

The data scientist first introduced the company and the team project, then gave me his background information. Then he asked me to tell him something about myself in the first 20 minutes. The first round was technical interview on-site, it lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked 2 programming questions and a predictive modeling question, and had to present on a whiteboard to the interviewer.
8 people found this interview helpful

Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Interview

It was a phone interview. I didn't make it through, but the interviewers were nice, and the talent acquisition team was responsive and kept me in loop while they were making their decision. I didn't have the right background for the job, so the outcome did not seem unfair to me.

Interview Questions
  • General background, one technical problem related to Machine Learning and Optimization. It was an open ended problem.
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Interview

Great interview process, was thoroughly impressed with the technical knowledge of my interviewers. Great HR staff too, provided good feedback. Unfortunately missed out on the role due to lack of experience in certain areas, which I'm working on improving before applying again.

Interview Questions
  • What challenges do you see arising from transitioning from academia to a bank environment.
5 people found this interview helpful