Cornerstone Research Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Cornerstone Research

3.5

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2020.

Interview

First round interview via zoom. 2 45-min case-based interviews. Each interviewer started with some general fit questions and asked about my job market paper for 10-15min. Then they walked through a real case for 20-25min and left 2-3min for any questions from me.

Interview Questions

• Case 1: municipal bond performance comparison
      Case 2: mortgage loan portfolio excessive loss causal methodology   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

(COVID times)
    First round: two 30-minute interviews over Zoom, both around 20 minutes behavioral, 10 case. First case was about analyzing whether a pharma company was competing unfairly. Second was super simple calculations for a bank of assets-liabilities, etc (I have no finance knowledge and I did fine). Both very nice. Heard back next day.
    Second: Super day; 4 40-minute interviews., about 20-25 min behavioral, rest case. First was spitballing ideas about a regression model, nothing formal, just basic econometrics. Second was more supply and demand/price elasticity/competition, nothing hard. Last was similar to the last case in first round. Last interview with principal; pick one research project you've done and know it inside and out--principal asked me about the equation of the model, et, pretty specific questions. Everyone was very nice. Took almost a month for them to get back to me, but I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research project, why economic consulting, what other positions are you applying for...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

On campus interview, then another phone screen, then super day. The super day consisted of multiple interviews back to back, one case interview. People were very friendly, and the interview process felt pretty laid back.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an Econ Consultant, and why do you want to work at Cornerstone?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

One round in an on campus interview, 2 30 minute interviews each with a current analyst. Each interview was 1/2 behavioral, 1/2 technical. Second round was an onsite "super day". I spent the whole day in their offices doing about 5 interviews with 3 analysts, an associate, and a principal. Analyst and associate interviews were technical, asking me to work through old or hypothetical cases. The interview with a principal was about past work experiences, asking me to describe in depth one of the projects on my resume.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe how I would approach a case about estimating lost ad revenue from a copyright infringement on an app.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

The worst. I was flown to Boston for six interviews in one day. When my plane arrived, I had less than 45 minutes to get to the office, so no time to stop for lunch. No lunch, snacks, water or breaks were built into my interview schedule. No one offered me water, snacks or showed me to the restrooms. I had to be late for one of my interviews just to get a restroom break. It was okay thought, because there were so many IT and connection issues, no one really noticed.
     I ended up interviewing with only one person live in the office. The other five other interviews were online from two different conference rooms (two because they couldn't get the conferencing software to work so I had to move to a different conference room). These online interviews could have easily been done from my location without the need for travel. There was no hospitality and lots of connection problems for the online interviews (no concerns or apologies for this)….an ill-mannered cultured. After I submitted my expenses for travel, I was questioned unnecessarily about my receipts when the issue in question was a "possible" problem that the person questioning me didn't get any facts about from accounting - it turned out that my expenses were reimbursed without a problem but somehow this highly suspicious culture needs to question things that are perfectly fine for no logical reason leaving me wondering for nearly two weeks if they were actually going to be true to their word and reimburse me over $1500.00.
    The interviews themselves ranged from one interesting conversation to paternalistic power plays telling me that I had to be on top of my game because people at this company are not easily impressed (as if I haven’t been doing my work for over 20 years and don’t already know how to impress not easily impressed people)….that only added to how unimpressed I was with them. The scheduling, interview process and conferencing tool were all poorly executed. And last, after they chose to hire someone who had a previous vendor relationship with the company, the HR Director called to "let me down easy" because in her world, I was going to be devastated. Frankly, I had marked them off my list within the first 30 minutes of being in their offices.

Interview Questions

• Why would someone with your extensive experience want to take this role?   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

The first round was two back to back 30-min phone interviews. 15 min personal interview and 15 case question. The case questions were very simple. Second round was 4 interviews in their Boston office with the same format, but case questions were much more detailed and complex.

Interview Questions

• Case question about if a company was being investigated after an employee was accused of insider trading, what things would you ask/look for determine whether the employee had insider information or not.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

I applied on Handshake and the process took 1 week. It was a 30 mins behavioral interview followed by 30 mins case interview. It was a positive experience. The team members were friendly and engaging,

Interview Questions

• Questions about the resume.
      Experience of working on a project.
      Why cornerstone?
      Case questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

I got on-campus interview and it consisted of two rounds of 30mins each, with 15 mins of behavioral and 15 mins of case. Typical econ consulting case, and interviewers provided pretty clear guidance.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

The first round has 2 phone interviews back to back. 45 minutes each, with the first 15 minutes behavioral questions and the rest a case. One was with an HR. The other was with an Associate.
    The second round has 4 interviews, in exactly the same format as the first round interviews. I interviewed with 4 levels of the firms: Analyst, Research Associate, Manager and Principal.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Part: Why Econ Consulting. Why Cornerstone. How do you communicate with your superiors when there's conflicting tasks. Talk about a quantitative project.
      Case Part: Read their sample cases on the official website. I would say it's very close to interviewer-led cases in management consulting but involves more economic concepts and how to measure/specify an econometrics equation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cornerstone Research (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

First round interview on campus, second and final round interview (super day) in the office, with other (non)-mandatory networking events in between. All in all, straightforward and not too stressful.

Interview Questions

• First round interview was mostly fit questions with some quantitative questions and light case work. Super day consisted of a number of case studies of mock analyses related to the job. No trick questions or anything wildly out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.