DreamWorks Animation Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

DreamWorks Animation Interview Questions

Interviews at DreamWorks Animation

2.6

Production Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in May 2020.

Interview

The first part of the interview process was a phone interview (set up over email) with a recruiter, who was very nice! It was a pleasant, quick conversation to let me know that a team was interested in interviewing with me.

I feel very bad and am disappointed to have had a negative experience interviewing at DreamWorks. Unfortunately, the lack of preparation from my interviewers was the reason why it was not a good interview experience.

I hope this does not discourage anyone who is reading this and preparing for their own interview - the most important thing to take away from this review is that how your interview goes might be out of your control. Be prepared for anything - including tired production staff who happen to be your interviewers.

Though PA starting pay is relatively low, DreamWorks is a wonderful place to work and I don't want to lower your excitement for their position - so please consider not reading further until after your interview.

My interviewers were kind, yet distracted. They disclosed that they were on the first of many PA interviews that day and had to take time to read my resume during the interview - after the main interviewer was late. I'm disappointed at the fact they were not prepared to interview their first candidate, which felt like they did not seem interested in interviewing me from the beginning.

They asked me two questions (mentioned below) and then spent the rest of the interview talking about the position and warning me about how unexciting the job's function is. I made it clear I was very interested in the position and that I didn't mind doing exactly what the job entailed, but I find it odd that they were trying to test me and see if they could scare me away from the job. It made the interview awkward and it was clear that the two interviewers were not on the same page in terms of what they wanted to learn from a candidate.

On the positive side, my half-hour went from an interview to a conversation - and I appreciated that aspect of the experience. It allowed me to understand who my potential bosses were and their leadership styles - and ultimately, how I would be valued in my position on their team.

I highly doubt that anyone from DreamWorks will read this, but for anyone who will be hiring in the future, I highly encourage you to be thoughtful about the interview process and respect your candidates' time. Your interviewees want to be their best for you, so help them succeed. At the very least, prepare for the interview - know why you want to hire the candidate and touch base beforehand with the other interviewers. And finally, don't scare your interviewees - that's poor etiquette on the interviewers part. How well you conduct yourself in an interview reflects on your leadership style, how you are as a team member, and how the candidate may view the company.

It was a good learning experience that taught me to be prepared for anything - your interviewers might be looking for a fun conversation or they might not know what they want at all! The best advice I can give other candidates is to expect the unexpected. You could be a great fit at DreamWorks, but not for that team. Keep going and good luck!

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

Applied online on the job board. Received an email to schedule a phone interview the following week. Passed the phone interview with HR, then went on a in person interview with the SVP of the department two weeks later. Was then sent a test a week later and I turned it in. Got the job offer a week later and accepted.

Desktop Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

I was called at about 7 PM - 5PM their time. A man called me, said he was with NBC Universal to hire for Dreamworks. We had an interview a few days later. This was around December 2018, and he said he would reach out again in the new year.

E-mailed, never received a response.

I follow the animation industry as a hobby, and Dreamworks is constantly being sold from studio to studio, so people were probably let go and replaced with...who owns them now? Universal's staff probably happened, but a response would have been great.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in a mixed Mac and Windows environment?   1 Answer

Feature Production Technology Interview

Application

Interview

Reached out to a recruiter through their email and formally applied online. Had an initial phone call with the recruiter to talk about the position and a little bit about me, and then had a video interview with 4 people that took an hour.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions as in, explain an array, how do you find the normal on an object, what is an octree?   Answer Question
    • I think they asked about my favorite programming language? It has been some time since the interview.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

Difficult but can be better, it was easy for me but difficult generally. Highly competetive and requires technical knowhow. Hr easy, and firstround difficult, you can do it. Achievable and do-able.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation in December 2016.

Interview

I had a brief phone call with the 'lead' of the group. Then I came on-site to have several 40 minute interviews over video chat as well as in person.

Interview Questions

• Troubleshooting steps if a machine isn't pulling a DHCP address.   1 Answer
    • The standard 'how do you remove this file with a strange filename'   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

Interview

Heard from a recruiter a few weeks after submitting my online application. Scheduled a phone interview, and the same day she offered me an in-person interview for the next day. The team was super nice and the questions were very straightforward. The recruiter told me it would be about 2 weeks. Emailed her to follow up, and she responded a week later to schedule a phone call, in which she told me I did not get the position. Up until this point, I had really enjoyed my experience interviewing with DreamWorks, but I thought it was very bizarre to schedule a one minute phone call to reject someone and not give any real feedback on their performance.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite movie (doesn't have to be DreamWorks)?   Answer Question

Prop Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

They reviewed my portfolio and checked with my past employers for background. I didn't have to take a test like at other studios. I met the art director and we went over some examples of the style of the show I would be working on. Overall it was very casual.

Interview Questions

• It was more of a conversation to get to know each other.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me out of the blue and asked if I would be interested in the position. We had a quick phone interview and then I went in the following week. The interview went well and was very relaxed.

The recruiter and I had another phone call to touch base. She said they really liked me and that I would be contacted for the second round soon. Some time went by, so I sent her an email, no response. I called, but couldn't get ahold of her. I called the woman I interviewed with; she said they were still interviewing candidates and that I would be contacted the next week. The next week I emailed the recruiter again, no response. I never heard from them ever again! So weird considering they contacted me about the position and then told me they liked me.

Interview Questions

• Very easy, the interview was more of a conversation than a lot of questions.   Answer Question

VFX Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DreamWorks Animation (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2018.

Interview

There was actually a preliminary interview at a hotel during during the SIGGRAPH conference in LA, then a follow-up zoom videoconference with three people, followed by an on-site interview in Glendale.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the coolest thing about you that isn't on your resume.   1 Answer
    • Imagine that it's three years from now and you're being fired from this job. Can you tell us why this is happening?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.