Envato Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 6 Mar 2019

Sort:

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Envato (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2017.

Interview

The intervew process happened along 2 months due to the new-year's break. The application was sent late november 2017, and a week later I received a request for booking a phone interview.
    The phone interview was book and it happened mid December. in this 30 minutes call I was asked what I knew about Envato, What do I think about diversity at work, and a few other behavioral questions. I was also proposed a couple of technical question to evaluate my knowledge on ruby on rails.
    A code challenge was sent a couple of days later. I responded to it within a day. Feedback on the code challenge happened two weeks later (the Friday before the Christmas/NY break).
    Mid January I received a request for booking a face-to-face interview. On the week after the interview I was at Envato talking to the interviewers.

This last interview is split in two parts, the first half is delivery by people in positions similar to the one you are applying for and it is focused on Software development and pear-to-pear knowledge exchange. The second part happens with a couple of managers or roles similar to the one you are applying for.

I tackled this last interview too lightly. After sitting it and reflecting on it, I believe that all the other parts of this interview process are screening and this last one is the real deal.

A couple of weeks later (now early February) I received a call in which they reported why I would not progress in the selection process.

Overall it was a difficult interview process due to its time demands on the applicant. At the same time It shows how selective they are with their personnel. I might try again next year.

Interview Questions

• ** Phone interview
      behaviour Questions
      - What do you know about Envato?
      - How do you feel about company diversity?
      - Why did you choose to apply to Envato ?
      Technical questions:
      - How would you implement Continuous Delivery? And would it require Service down time?
      - Given a blog website, how would you organise its data elements in a relational database given that there should be, Auhors, Blogged Messages, Comments on the Blog messages, both blogs and comments have authors and blogs can be authored by multiple people.

** On site interview

Part 1
      A - given two integer arrays, create a sudo-code procedure which produces a third array with the common numbers from the first two arrays.
      B - How would you optimise the code produced? this is where I was walked through a better way to write the same function with the interviewers giving guidance on how to optimise the solution

Part 2
      this part was focused on my background and on exploring my knowledge of Envato and some aspects of
      What do you know about envato?
      What are the setbacks of the Scrum methodology?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Envato (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a long interview process. it took over 4 weeks. They have 6 interview phases: HR, Tech interview, algorithms and DB, code test, code review, and behavioral interview. Overall, it was a difficult interview. The interviewers were friendly, However, their rejection reason was nonsense.

Interview Questions

• - How to search for items in two arrays?
      - Some DB questions.
      - When to use Double, Stub, and Mock.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Envato in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I had an interview with two persons, one from HR and the other was from the engineering team. They asked me general questions about my work style and tools that I use (frameworks, libraries etc.). The interviewers were friendly. A couple of days after the interview, they sent me a code task. It wasn't hard, basically they wanted me to implement one of the Envato's APIs on a simple web page. I completed it and sent it in a couple of days but they NEVER got me back. A week after I sent the code task, I asked about the outcome and they told me that they were going to get me back with a feedback but again no result.

Don't waste your time with this company.

Interview Questions

• Tools and libraries that I use.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Envato (Melbourne (Australia)) in October 2018.

Interview

Basic 3 step interview process (phone/skype screen, coding task, face-to-face). Initial interview was pleasant and informal. The coding task is difficult (essentially a real production problem) and took multiple days to complete. I ended the process before reaching the final stage.

The process was a negative experience. It takes a very long time. Envato recruitment does not answer emails, sometimes for weeks on end. The coding task does not need to be so long and difficult. No feedback on the coding task after being submitted. Envato seems to not value the candidates time and does not keep candidates informed.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Envato (Melbourne (Australia)) in April 2018.

Interview

7 rounds of interview.

after application, general + technal phone interview, coding challenge, code review + white board exercise, behavorial interview, background check and acceptance. Unfortunately made it till the fifth stage and stopped.

It was weird that they had not realised that I was looking for a Junior to Mid role, from my one year of experience on my CV. Wished they had taken the time really evaluate my application before I made it to the behavorial interview. Wasted alot of time to only discover that they were looking for a senior. They mentioned that they dont hire juniors. What's odd? my friend works at Envato and she started as a junior developer.

Are we not capable enough to be given special consideration?

Interview Questions

• Coffee app. calculate the debit and credit balance of each user based off a few JSON files.   1 Answer
    • How do you find common elements of 2 arrays.   Answer Question

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Envato (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2013.

Interview

Good discussion around the role and culture. I was asked questions on my experience, and I had a chance to ask a lot of questions. There were behavioural style questions which all seemed relevant. I like the questions on values. I met with a number of senior people, and you could tell that they really cared what kind of HR person they were hiring.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work at Envato   1 Answer

Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Envato in February 2017.

Interview

I applied as a remote applicant with the prospect of moving from Canada to Aus so the majority of my communications were via phone.

It was a wonderful experience, both managers I met I got along with wonderfully, I felt like our vision of a workplace culture really aligned and my experience surpassed most of their expectations.

It was a simple 3 step process- I didn't make it to meeting their department head however that would have been the final step. Regrettably Australia increased the difficulty of sponsorship visas during my interview and it essentially rendered this position unfeasible to spend the capital on a Canadian coming over- which is fair.

Envato is a company I still have on my radar and will be for the foreseeable future. I do recommend reading their qualifications closely as they ensure every character placed carries the same weight as the next. If you're truly qualified then it'll be a breeze.

Interview Questions

• if you could be a villain, which villain and why?   1 Answer

Business/Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Envato in August 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position through Envato's career page, and heard from them 5 weeks later.
    A phone interview was organized through e-mails and a short call took place.
    A second phone interview was organized a week later, and I spoke to the interviewer for about 30 minutes.
    A third phone interview was organized another week later. Along this last interview I was informed that my lack of e-commerce experience would eliminate my candidacy.

Here follows a tip: Beware to fulfill Envato's "thrilled " drivers :-)
    This is how this eliminating criteria was expressed on the position description:
    "As a bonus we'd be thrilled if you have exposure to e-commerce systems...".

Interview Questions

• Usual questions about background and aptitude took place, as well as questions about Envato business model and marketplaces.   1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Envato (Melbourne (Australia)) in May 2015.

Interview

After applying for DevOps Engineer position online, an initial HR phone screen quickly took place. The HR screen was standard with the usual questions - How much do you know about the company, why are you leaving your current position, and where do you want to head your career? There was a lot of talk about the next steps.

A few days later, a technical phone screen was scheduled and conducted. Again, the phone screen was positive and successful. There was a lot of talk about setting up monitoring infrastructure, how to monitor nodes, how to deploy multiple nodes using cloud services, how to replicate databases. It seemed that every answer I gave, the interviewer wanted to know yet another way despite having sound answers backed by commercial experience.

After this hurdle, a technical in-person meeting was scheduled. This sounded to be exactly like the technical phone screen, but it was a chance to ask questions. The interviewer asked exactly the same questions as the technical phone screen. The interviewer also spent a lot of time explaining the next steps and unadvertised job details. This is always a bad sign of untrained interviewers. I was concerned that interviewer was not asking enough technical questions. I asked my own questions about their "Agile" setup and it was clear that they hadn't even read the few words of the Agile Manifesto and the pieces that they had adapted they had misunderstood. They raved about deploying to production 15 - 20 times each day with small changes and how it was "low" risk. When I asked how frequently their 24/7 support pager/phone rang the interviewer admitted it was a few times each week. Hmmm, I wonder why. Despite three solid interviews and much talk about next steps this is where my journey ended. I was surprised and disappointed they didn't decide to send me a small coding task (as this would have been the next step) that is so common in interviews these days.

All-in-all, in was a long and a very duplicated process.

Interview Questions

• How would you deploy and configure 100 servers?   1 Answer

Commercial Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Envato (Wellington, Wellington (New Zealand)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through the website and received correspondence via email. Was asked to complete a Commercial Data Analyst test.
    Sent through the test, they advised they received the test and will contact in few days and then absolutely no correspondence. Followed up with few emails and yet no reply. Disappointed as Envato seemed like a great fit.

Interview Questions

• Commercial Data Analyst test - scenario based questions with a spreadsheet of data.   Answer Question

Envato Response

20 Feb 2017 – Recruitment Partner

Thanks for your review. We pride ourselves on ensuring that everyone that applies for a role at Envato receives an outcome on their application, especially as a number of people we've hired didn't... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.