FactSet Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

1,100 Interview Reviews

2.9

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

Met at career fair, received an email to schedule a phone interview. It was a 50/50 behavioral-technical interview. A quick data structure manipulation question, and questions about experience.

Went onsite for a final round--1 code review, 2 technical interviews, and behavioral. The company is awesome, and everyone was super nice. Still waiting to hear about an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FactSet in October 2014.

Interview

I applied on campus career fair. I got response for a phone interview about 10 days later. I was assigned a software manager from New York office. HR asked me to attached my sample code and my resume before interview, but obviously that interviewer didn't read anything before interviewing at all! And just made up a question during the call

Interview Questions

• to design an application to search a particular document which saved in a tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of telephonic interview for a database developer role. After they were satisfied was called onsite for a full day interview. Started the day with database design, then next round was to write specific queries. Followed by object oriented questions. The department manager took me out for lunch where he discussed about the work environment and the expectations from the role. The last was an HR discussion round.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were scenario based so if you have come across the scenario you would be able to answer   Answer Question

The pay was not sufficient for me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

I initially applied for a job through a friend and didn't get a callback. After a few months another position opened and I applied again through the friend. A few weeks went by and they called back. First I was contacted by a recruiter, then I had a phone interview, then I came in for an in-person interview.

The in-person was a whole day. It started with a presentation of their product, then a code review, two design reviews, a lunch, and finally an interview with the director of the department.

Several days later I received a phone call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question presented to me was a C++ code sample that I had to review. It contained numerous logical and syntax errors, as well as poor coding. I had to debug the sample by hand and explain how I would fix the code or re-implement it. The difficulty was doing so on pen and paper and catching all of the problems, including several very subtle ones.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied after seeing job listing on indeed.com, After an initial phone round covering basic programming/algorithms, was asked to come on-site for an interview. Company paid for transportation and hotel.

Spent the day interviewing with various members of the company, some HR, but most of the interviews were technical. Most interviews focused on proficiency with algorithms and data structures, although there was a code review that required strong syntactic knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

I had applied through an employ referral. The recruiter contacted me within a week, to identify what roles I would be suitable for. Within two working days, I was invited for a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by an engineer. The interviewer asked me about my resume and a simple coding question (sieve of erastothenes). I expected them to get back within a week, but to my surprise, the recruiter got back to me within a few hours, inviting me onsite for an interview.

The onsite interview began initially with a demo of the product. This demo is really helpful in formulating questions for the later rounds ;-) Coming to the technical rounds, the first of my technical rounds was a code review. The same Triangle class as the previous posters. This was followed by a coding/algorithms round. In this round, I was asked a "starter" question, to ease me into the process. The question was to pop the minimum from the stack. This was followed by a question, explained in the next section. To answer the same we required to implement disjoint sets. I told the interviewers that I shall use a height balancing BST (like AVL). This I said, would reduce the worst case search/insert/delete to O(log n). The interviewers probably misunderstood me, and maintained that the worst case height is O(n) for a BST (can't be denied :-) ) . This was followed by a system design question, where I had to design a system for expressions (expr = literal|expr + expr|-expr) without wasting effort on parsing. I tried to impress them with class diagrams. BIG mistake! Just write your classes and get done with it! This was followed by a round with the hiring manager. This round is essentially a resume review, and multiple technical discussions.

Finally, I was taken out for lunch by a member of the Security Assurance team. Having a background in security, he talked about the team and opportunities in them. Finally, I had a Behavioral interview with the recruiter.

They again promised to get back to me within a week, and to my surprise got back in two days!!! Alas, it was a reject, but overall an enjoyable and quick interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a graph and an online stream of its edges (like a social network, where edges are the friendships built at that given instant), find the first incoming edge at which the graph is fully connected!   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Applied on the company website. Got a call from the HR for a phone interview and was then invited to their Norwalk office for on site interview. The process was very professionally handled by the HR. I chose C++ as my primary language.
    1. A very thorough introduction to their products, almost like a client training session.
    2. Code walk through. The triangle (mentioned by a few other candidates) class with a zillion errors. Easy but very tedious, you have to watch for dummy loops and wasted function calls.
    3. Data structures and algorithms. Trees, graphs and basic sorting.
    4. C++ language and OOPS. Couple of newbies asked me trick questions with virtual destructors etc. Was asked to implement atoi function. Then discussed design for a chess game.
    5. Lunch
    6. A happy conversation with their head of engineering.
    7. Perfunctory HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Construct trees given the node orders.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)).

Interview

1.1 hour technical phone interview-basic about C++,algorithms,data structures
    2.Onsite interview request after 1 week
    3.At onsite:
                   1. code review of a triangle class in C++
                   2.OOP concepts questions,design a tennis board game
                   3. write a code to add 2 reversed link lists and return the reversed link list
                   4.write a code to detect a cycle in a directory structure
                  5.HR interview
    4.done for the day

Interview Questions

• except for the code review and tennis board design game   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone
    --------
    basics of oops
    how to implement circular queue?

onsite
    --------
    1.code review
    Chose from C,C++,Java. I chose Java. They give you a triangle class to point out design errors and compilation errors. They give you 10 minutes to read the code. Code is 3 pages long. Some of the common mistakes which I found were : One function was useless, one object was not initialized but was being passed as a parameter, a function which converts upper case letter to lower case letter does not function correctly, character array not initialized, some functions takes integers as input but if you enter a negative number, that kind of exception is not handled etc.

2.design round
    Given a c++ code, tell what it prints. Basically there are 2 classes. The second class inherits the first class. Both classes have constructors and virtual destructors. So when object is created, you need to say if base class is called or inherited class is called. Also, note that there is no option of java in this round. So you have to know C/C++ if you want to clear this round.

Design any game - like everyone I chose chess. Just provide layout, like basic classes and functions, and how each class would interact with the other class.

3. Technical coding round

Add two numbers represented in 2 linked lists where each digit represents a node in linked list. Digits are stored in reverse order like if the number is 123, the linked list is 3->2->1->null. The result should be a linked list as well.

Given the preorder and inorder traversal orders of a tree, how would you reconstruct the tree?

4. Lunch

You get to go out with 2 software engineers of your team and ask them any questions about the company. This is an informal session.

5. Director interview

Many behavioral questions by going through your resume. Beware - the director was a software engineer too. He is an expert in C++. He is not any non-IT guy who can be impressed by using heavy technical words. He can understand all the technical details of your projects. So be clear when you are talking to him.

6. HR interview

Basically they ask you how was your day and how did each interviewer treat you. They note down your feedback and ask if you have any questions. They go through the health benefits of the company.

All are 2:1 interviews except the director interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

Started off with a phone interview with a recruiter and followed it up with one with a developer there. I was unable to actually come on-site for a while the 2nd phone interview, and they were very willing to wait till I was available. I interviewed in their New York office, and the hospitality was AMAZING. They were extremely friendly, and I got a great vibe from the place. The interviewers definitely made me want to work there. In addition, my recruiter was absolutely AMAZING. Unlike many other recruiters for other companies, she was extremely helpful and replied back to my e-mails in an extremely prompt fashion. Overall, I would definitely recommend this company.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe how I would design the back-end for Chess. In particular, they wanted to see what kind of abstractions I would make, and how I would treat the board, the pieces, and create the front-end to interact properly with the back-end.   Answer Question

Decided I wanted to pursue other options (not necessarily industry nor financial software). But partially regret not accepting