FactSet Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 18 May 2019
1,102 Interview Reviews

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FactSet (Saint Louis, MO (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Apply through career fair, got an on-campus interview the next day.

Interview Questions

• How to use pre-order to traverse a tree and save it in a txt file. (simple data-structure like string).And then use the file you saved to construct the original tree.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

Scheduled a phone interview with them for Friday afternoon at 4:30 CST, and got the call at 3:45 CST. I had sent a code sample of a linked list implementation in C++ I had written while trying out Unit testing. We primarily discussed the code sample, how to improve it and what considerations I had when writing it.

Interview Questions

• How would you allow any type of object to be stored in this linked list?   1 Answer
    • How would you allow multiple items in the list to be accessed simultaneously?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in March 2008.

Interview

After passing a phone screening which varies according to position, you are asked to come in for a 5-6 hr interview. The interview consists of 3 separate 2:1 sessions covering technical abilities, a 1:1 with a director that focuses on company culture and your career goals, and of course lunch with 2 current employees.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated very little, but was given a very fair offer. My only advice is not to let promised incentive comp alter your view of general compensation because it varies drastically by team. I would also suggest negotiating an adequate starting title as this weighs into compensation metrics.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in September 2009.

Interview

I had a phone interview int he beginning not bad it was ll about data structures. then I was invited for onsite interview. There they interviewed me on Object oriented concepts gave me LEGO blocks and asked me to model it. Then they gave there was code review what wrong or right in code etc etc. Then they tested me on algorithms tree and hash tree based. then I had interview with HR, who took a lot notes. I had my final interview with the director. It was fairly simple. Be through on your basics. Ohh I had a dinner the night before, They were good but I was not good enough

Interview Questions

• Asked me to model a Lego systems. They were testing my object oriented concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at FactSet in October 2009.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview about my background and my skills, but nothing technical.

Went in later that week for an all day interview. Questions were more about algorithms than specific C++ syntax. It wasn't that difficult, but my nervousness and unpreparedness cost me dearly.

I wasn't really asked about my specific reasons for wanting the job nor was I asked what I thought of FactSet.

Interview Questions

• Given an array with 100 spaces that receives a range of numbers from 1 to 101 how do you find the missing number.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (San Mateo, CA (US)) in February 2008.

Interview

I applied online for a C++/C# software engineer position in their San Mateo office. I had a phone interview with a recruiter which went well. They contacted me for an all day on-site interview.

When I visited their office, I ended up going through a couple of rounds of people. I had a migraine headache that day, so I wasn't exactly at my best, but I slogged through anyway.

I had an interview with the manager, who gave me a demo and described some of the technology that they developed. Considering that they wrote everything from the ground up, that was impressive. However, they were still using MFC - in 2008! When I asked about C#/.NET, he seemed to be annoyed with my questions. Red flag #1.

Another round was with answering questions about C++, linked lists, pointers, etc., the usual stuff. There was one person just sitting there, and I was told "pretend that she's not here". Red flag #2.

Later, I had a so-called "code review exercise". They had me look at some really bad code, something out of CS 101 - just awful. That was a waste of an hour, considering that when I brought up various issues and concerns, they were ignored by the interviewers. They simply didn't want to listen to what I had to say. Red flag #3.

I ended up talking with another tech lead, who simply had no interest in speaking with me. He pretty much blew me off and didn't even answer many of my questions. I was glad that the day was over. In any case, I would never go back.

A couple of things stood out for me:
    - They're still stuck using MFC in 2008, when everyone's moving to C#/.NET. When I inquired, one person admitted that they've had a lot of trouble finding people with MFC experience.
    - The people were pretty much "checked out" and not really engaging or interesting to speak with. When asked questions, I often got canned answers.
    - The environment seemed okay, but I felt that most of the really interesting work was in their headquarters in CT. They were pretty much a small office and they had a hard time competing with other companies in the area for talent. I can see why.

Interview Questions

• Linked list questions (reversal, delete node, add node. etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

Initially their response was prompt, which was encouraging. I set up a phone interview which went very well. I guess the interviewer was a little unclear about my C/C++ programming knowledge, so he asked me to write a 40 line program that reads data from a file and into a data structure, then allowing the user to query the list. Very simple. I turned in the program and it took them over a week to respond, only with that "Your qualifications were impressive; however, we feel that your background does not match our company's needs at this time." Very vague and unconvincing.

They specifically listed on their job requisition that ANY OO language, i.e. Java, was acceptable. I told them that I knew C++ well, just not as well, but apparently that wasn't acceptable for them. I understand that you may really want an experienced C++ developer, but don't state that other OO languages are fine and then completely dismiss me when you find out that C++ isn't my forte. Oh, and by the way, I've been programming for over 4 years and have my degree in computer science, so I do know what I'm doing.

Interview Questions

• Hash table operations, tree operations, basic data structures and algorithms. Know your basic CS info. I was NOT asked any of those ridiculously useless CS brain teasers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

I first heard about the company by going to a tech talk it put on with one of the student orgs at my university. I also personally know someone who interned and then later was hired at the company. I got to know a lot more of the employees/recruiting team at a casual "mixer" put on by our academic department. I submitted my resume and a phone interview was scheduled. They asked some technical questions having to do with C/C++ related basics (stack/heap, inheritance, local/global/private/public variables, encapsulation). I was not strong on C++ but related the questions back to what I remembered of Java and that seemed to suffice. After the phone interview I was invited to fly out.

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to use a generic list class rather than writing my own BoatList implementation? Is there a performance difference between the two.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter after submitting resume through school's career center. Got a phone interview scheduled a week later, also got asked to send them a code sample. Waiting to hear whether I made it as of this moment.

The company employees are really friendly, at least from what I perceived. One thing that does bother me though is they seem to have a thing for C++ over other languages, even though they list "any OO language" on their job posting.

I was told that my interviewer would ask me some background questions, some questions about my resume and code sample, and some technical questions. When she did call, we only discussed my resume (which took quite a while, actually), and she did not ask anything about the code sample (which was a little disappointing because I had spent a while cleaning it up and packaging it...). Afterwards there were three technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that loops through 1-100, and prints "fizz" when the number is a multiple of 3, "buzz" when the number is a multiple of 5, and "fizzbuzz" when the number is a multiple of both 3 and 5.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of sorted/sequential integers with one duplicate, find the duplicate.   1 Answer
    • Design a blackjack game.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

Started with an on-campus interview with a current engineer at FactSet. Was invited to fly to Norwalk for the full interview, which consisted of a tour and product demonstration, 3 technical interviews, lunch with two other engineers, and two "HR"-style interviews.