GE Oil & Gas Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 13 Apr 2019

2.9

Sort:

Sales and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional human resources department. Screens for items and then waits weeks and several interviews into the hiring process to come back with information that should have been dealt with in the immediate. First step hr phone screen, hiring manager phone screen, then two hour presentation that is clearly designed for an internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• Seems to steal ideas by making candidates prepare and make presentations to grow business. Doesn't respect candidates time. Schedules and re-schedules meetings and presentation on whims, without working with the candidate on his schedule.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It was constructive, clear, based on submitted Resume and against opening required criteria, and it was in depth.
    No drifting from discussion and very focused, time was limited for each questions.

Interview Questions

• - Take About your self.
      - What are the areas that you think you can contribute.   2 Answers

GE Oil & Gas Response

18 Jul 2017 – Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Great review! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and happy to have you as a part of the GE team. ~Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Digital Thread Lead/MDB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Houston, TX (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Entered application and resume on GE careers site, was invited to a phone interview that was rescheduled three times. The phone interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but the interviewer was five minutes late and concluded the interview 15 minutes early because HR had scheduled the interview over top of one of his meetings.

GE Oil & Gas Response

18 Jul 2017 – Sr Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for the review! We have implemented a new People Leader program as we want to continue to improve in the areas you mention! Appreciate the feedback and if you wish I would like to connect... More

Physicist/Measurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in August 2010.

Interview

Summer 2010 - during the deep(est?) point of the world economic recession.
        Initial telephone went reasonably well. Was asked technical questions and even asked for my A-Levels by HR despite being well educated beyond that up to PhD and over 10 years experience on R&D projects (1-2 private sector, 10 public: large scale particle accelerators). Technical questions were challenging but managed to get through to an on site interview. On site: was talking to one guy who looked close to retiring and decent enough character and thought perhaps the post to fill would eventually replace him when he retires. Anyway, after about 10 mins into the interview I was explaining the work I was doing at my present employer. He then began to show signs of not being impressed. I don't know why, pity. Perhaps he failed to appreciate the importance of my work and was starting to think I was incompetent or perhaps I was somehow boring him with too much detail. My experience up to then only had relevance to the job applied for because of my physics knowledge and that I had done instrument development during my PhD several years ago. After about perhaps 20 mins another engineer popped in and sat in -to a large extent- rather passively. But he too did not seem impressed.
        I was asked to calculate the magnetic field from a current loop and they even kindly wrote down the Biot-Savart law without me asking. I think I did solve this correctly and nobody made an objection. I'm pretty sure it was correct. At this point there were now 3 interviewers, the boss having walked in. He seemed to be arms folded and giving the impression from body language that I better be worth it. Somewhat at unease but still certainly was not going to stomp out. Let's see perhaps I strike a good chord with them...
        Later I mentioned nuclear physics and one said that's good you mentioned it because we have a question for you: can you calculate the penetration of gamma rays from a mono-energetic source into a solid like rock. (They sell gamma tools amongst other things.) So I wrote down exponential decay profile equation for the number of gammas which have not undergone any interaction. This of course assumes a well collimated beam before and after the target if one were to get the same result experimentally. An interviewer then said that it is not as simple as that and that can I please derive the analytical result taking into other effects. From here on I began to think but also sink. They did not write down or verbally give me the answer in any seemingly quantitative form (i.e. the equation) other than to say that photons will undergo collisions (for them predominantly Compton) resulting in their energies be reduced, which in turn changes the probability per unit time of subsequent scattering. This is true but then to answer the question I perhaps should have pushed them to be more specific in terms of the information required, e.g. what are the dimensions of the detector. (I guess I don't deal with open ended questions well in interviews. I should say at this point that about 3 years later I took a 1 year sabbatical from my still present employer (GSI in Darmstadt) to study for a Masters in Medical Physics. I asked a lecturer who was a Nuclear Physicist about the problem they posed me. The reply was in the end that the problem is not a trivial one. Another colleague said you would in practice refer to using one of the freely available monte carlo codes to get the most accurate solution. I cannot be sure it but perhaps the interviewers did not know the answer themselves and that they just wanted to find my limits. I know from previous experience that an employer has said "this is a problem we are working on for a client but do not know the answer to, perhaps you might like to have a go and give us your opinion."
        The final question was on pulse counting, namely Poisson statistics. E.g. gammas emitted at random times from a nucleus. Here I was sometimes right with answers and sometimes not. I admit my knowledge here was rusty. But the funny thing was I noticed after that the boss who wrote down the equation for the Poisson distribution had in fact wrote it down incorrectly. Only spotted this sadly after the interview. Simple dimensional analysis showed it to be incorrect. I have calculated things like means and variances of probability distributions before. Nothing too difficult. Ok, unlucky.
        About 1 year later I saw what must have been the same job posted in physics world. Job title "PhD Nuclear Physicist". That's right, as if a physicist of engineer would have not been enough. As I believe Niels Bohr a Nobel prize winning physicist and one of the founding fathers of quantum theory once quoted: "An expert is someone who has made a lot of mistakes in a narrow field of work". They had already been looking for quite sometime when I had been interviewed.

Supplier Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Cleveland, OH (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online. The entire process took ~6 weeks. 1st Phone interview with HR, 2nd Phone interview with the hiring manager, 3rd On-Site Panel Interviews (with HR, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Engineering etc.)

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Mumbai) in May 2018.

Interview

Through Job Portals and LinkedIn. I was invited to onsite discussion. You would be given a visitor entry card. The Evaluators were friendly initially but they would roast you if the find about your weakness.

Interview Questions

• Sort a list without using any helper methods   Answer Question
    • Why is IDisposable needed (C#) ?   Answer Question
    • I have a chart with X,Y coordinates, and I have a position on it , give me a algorithm to calculate all its diagonal positions.   Answer Question
    • I have 1 million records in my database, and I want to show them in my UI. How would you do it in a responsive way ?   Answer Question

HQ Strategic Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Florence (Italy)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Florence (Italy)) in February 2013.

Interview

1 full day with 4 interviews (1 motivational, the other 3 business cases), a quantitative test and a team group test ... we started at 9:30 am and finished at 5:00 pm

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Houston, TX (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with three project managers and the HR person for about 45 minutes each. They were courteous but they never did respond after the long interview. I feel my age (over 50) was an issue for them.

Interview Questions

• They quizzed me on the C language and how I would handle technical problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Skelmersdale, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas (Skelmersdale, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Firstly there is a pre-recorded video interview which will then take you onto the second stage. The second stage is a face to face interview, and in my experience they can be incredibly flexible and will accommodate to your needs.

Interview Questions

• Asked me some competency based questions on SQL such as "What Queries would you run to get this result?" and other general questions, alot of getting to know you. Lasted Roughly an hour   Answer Question

Commercial Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GE Oil & Gas.

Interview

First HR, then several different functions, finally with your future manager. All interview done over the phone as I was based offshore at the time. Not a difficult process if the job doesn't get out on hold at the last minute.

Interview Questions

• is it best to be perfect but late or on time but no have a perfect job?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.