General Mills Associate Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 14 Dec 2018

3.6

33 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online sometime in September for the AMM position. In early November I received an email from General Mills HR to sign up for an interview slot for a phone interview.

The phone interview was a little tougher than I expected in that there were more case-ish questions around innovative products and approaching marketing problems than I anticipated. I'd say it was a 50/50 mix between behavioral and case questions. About a week later I learned that I was invited to final interviews at General Mills' offices in Minneapolis.

Before your final interviews you need to complete a Hogan Personality Inventory and a deductive-reasoning test. Deductive reasoning test was very reminiscent of the Verbal section from the GMAT, and similar to the GMAT the limited time factor was a large component of the difficulty. Make sure to allocate your time wisely and not devote too much time to one specific problem.

The final round is really well-run and a great opportunity to get a feel for the company and its culture. They fly you in the day before your interviews and you get to have dinner with marketers at General Mills along with your fellow candidates. Dinner was non-evaluative and I appreciated how candid and open my hosts were.

Interview day starts with a breakfast with more marketers for more frank, non-evaluative conversation. Then you go into the case portion. You get 75 minutes to devise a strategy around a scenario outlined in a packet of about 10 slides for a General Mills product. As a general tip it helps to have a strong knowledge of General Mills' brands (especially their major ones) because you can bring in that knowledge on the case and just to the interviews in general. You are given a laptop with no internet access to create a PowerPoint that you will present to a Marketing Manager at General Mills in one of your interviews. After 75 minutes you have a 15 minute break, and then you get printouts of your case that you can mark up for a further 15 minutes. My advice for the case is focus on the fundamental marketing frameworks (4 Ps, STP, etc.) and use your time wisely as the 75 minutes go by quickly.

After that is a tour of the office, which was a nice way to learn more about the company and its history and get a feel for its culture. That is followed by a lunch with a General Mills marketer. They were generally one-on-one or two-on-one so it was a great opportunity again to learn more about the company and just pillory people with random questions.

After lunch you finally get to the evaluative portion of interview day. There are 3 30-minute back-to-back-to-back interviews, generally with Marketing Managers. One of these interviews has you walking through your case. My interviewer would chime in from time to time asking about why I made a certain assumption or adopted a particular strategy. All of his questions and concerns were totally valid and I felt like it was really fair; at no point was he ever difficult for the sake of being difficult.

The other two interviews were a mix of behavioral questions and case-y questions. I didn't get any of the classic "Market share is up but sales are down; what is going on?" questions but did get asked for well-marketed products and trends in the general marketing space. I was also asked to walk through my resume and explain why brand management, why CPG, and why General Mills. All of my three interviewers were tremendously nice and the interviews were pretty conversational.

I interviewed on a Friday. That following Monday I received an offer. General Mills HR was great in terms of being transparent throughout the process and earn bonus points for being so quick to provide an offer (they told candidates to expect to hear decisions within 2 weeks).

Note: I was a campus hire (I'm a second-year MBA) and the interviews may be slightly different for experienced AMM hires. The case is the same for all AMM candidates, but I could see the experienced hire interviews being more technical.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Mills

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)).

Interview

Thorough: General Mills does an extensive amount of testing - personality and aptitude - and interviewing - case and behavioral - before making an offer. Nonetheless, the people were amazing! Recruiters, hiring managers, other team members were responsive, transparent and friendly. Fit is very important

Interview Questions

• If you were to launch a brand tomorrow, what would you consider doing and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

This was a rather uncommon, off-cycle hiring process focused on current marketing professionals with 1+ years of experience, unlike the on-campus process.

Applied via current employee referral on Tuesday, 8/15. Received an unscheduled phone screen from HR on Friday, 9/8. Was contacted later that day via email to set up a phone interview with a current marketer. Completed the phone interview on Tuesday, 9/12 (after a last minute reschedule from Monday, 9/11 due to interviewer schedule conflict). Received another unscheduled call from HR on Friday, 9/15 inviting me to the in-person final interview in Minneapolis on Wednesday, 9/27.

The on-site experience is fantastic, but intense. Starting with a relaxed dinner with a current AMM, the following day begins early at 8am with a breakfast accompanied by another current AMM. After breakfast all (6 this particular day) interview candidates are taken to a small room with a laptop and a rather large (for the time constraints) case (printed PowerPoint slides). The computer does not have the internet and you are given 1.5 hours to create roughly 7 slides. They have switched the model to include a (simple) marketing plan, including financials, instead of 3-4 questions. After a short break, you are allowed to review your printed slides to prepare a 15 minute presentation for later that day. After this, we went a tour, which was a fun way to wind down from that stressful activity. This is followed by lunch with an AMM and one of your peer candidates. After lunch, it's off to round robin interviewing. Each candidate is given a meeting room and the 3 interviewers rotate. There were 2 behavioral interviews lasting 45 minutes each and 1 case interview, totaling 45 minutes. The behavioral interviews are very straight forward, one was more traditional behavioral while the other was marketing skill specific. The case interview consists of 15 minutes of presentation and 20-30 minutes of interviewer questions regarding your case. It's less about being right or perfect than proving your understanding of brand strategy, consumer insights and other key marketing skills. Pro-tip: use the rest room before the first interview, there are no breaks in between. After the last interview, all candidates gather back in the HR office at which point there is a debrief with the HR Manager and you get your General Mills shopping bag of goodies. And just like that, a long day ends up feeling quite short!

As promised, HR reached out on Friday, 9/29, but unfortunately due to the schedule of some key leaders for the decision process, they had to defer on decisions until Monday. On Monday, 10/2, HR called again as promised, even if it was after 6:00 PM EDT. :) At this point the verbal offer was extended. The formal offer follows with 24-48 hours later via email.

Overall, a very fast process with only 4 true interviews, including the phone. HR usually beat expectations by a long shot, or at least met them. The entire HR and marketing team involved were very kind and welcoming. I'm super stoked to be a part of that team in the future! :)

Interview Questions

• Make up a food product and tell me about it. It does not have to be something General Mills makes currently.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process is intense. General Mills the takes time to make sure that candidates are the right fit for the job and the culture. Be sure to be concise in your interview stories, and be prepared to do a marketing case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have to convince management on a specific decision.   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

It's a long and exciting day. We started out with breakfast on-site at 8:00 am. After breakfast you're taken to a conference room where you have 75 minutes to read through a marketing case and prepare a 5-slide presentation on your recommendations. After the 75 minutes they print out two copies of the presentation for you to hold on to. Next is a site tour and lunch with other Associate Marketing Managers. After lunch you have three back-to-back 45 minute interviews. One interview is to present your case recommendations, one is purely behavioral questions (tell me about a time when..) and the last is technical marketing case questions (tell me about an innovative product). After the three interviews you reconvene with other candidates and they escort you out.

Interview Questions

• (Behavioral) Tell me about a time where you had to make a decision with both qualitative and quantitative information.   Answer Question
    • (Marketing) You've just received some funding from an investor. What kind of new food or beverage product would you go to market with, why, and how? (They'll give you 45 sec. or so to gather some thoughts)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process consists of three steps. First, a screening phone intervirew with an AAM. Second, an in person interview (I had this interview with them at ROMBA). And third, a visit to their headquarters in Minnesota, where you have a case study, one interview about the case study, and two more behavioral interviews.

The case study is about 10 pages long, you have to answer all questions in 75 minutes. They give you a laptop and a notepad. The answers should be typed in Power Point.

The behavioral interviews are STAR story based.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a CPG social media campaign that you like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was on campus and was scheduled from 8 in the morning till 2.45 in the afternoon. There were 2 behavioral rounds which are 45 minutes in length and 1 case interview which was again for 45 minutes. We were also given a tour of the wonderful campus. We met Associate Marketing Managers for breakfast and lunch. They were very helpful and tried to make us feel relaxed. The people here are the best. They make you feel comfortable and ensure that you have a great experience.

A little bit more about the case interview, we were given a case that was 12 pages long and then given a laptop to prepare a presentation. It was a simple marketing case, but we are expected to consume a lot of information in the given 75 minutes to read, understand the case and then prepare a simple presentation.

End of the day it was a great experience :)

Interview Questions

• Why General Mills and why Marketing? Which company do you think is the most innovative?   Answer Question

Waiting for decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Intense for the level of role. Applying through the website was a mess due to the open ended questions. I did at work and was pulled away partway through; all my answers were lost so I had to go and redo them. Then came the phone screen with the hiring manager. 30 minutes so not that bad. Next was the personality test. Followed by values, motivations etc. inventory. Finally, the deductive reasoning test which is Sherlock quality questions - 18 of them to complete within 22 minutes. In-person interview was scheduled to begin at 7 and included meeting 3 people plus a 'case study'. The in-person was 4+ hours but hey, you get a goodie bag at the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a group through a challening situation.   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Mills.

Interview

There are multiple interviews with HR and Marketing Managers. The questions are mostly behavior questions. But there is also a case. People should ensure that they have done their research on the company, role, and industry before interviewing

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

First interview with 2 people, in person.
    Second interview was final round, about 6-7 interviews in a day + case interview. Most of the interviews were with marketing people, but also had 1-2 HR people

Interview Questions

• Case interview about marketing launch   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.