General Motors (GM) Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 2,082 of over 2,082.0 interviews

Interviews at General Motors (GM)

Positive68%
Recruiter8%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

Applied online. HR reached out for initial phone screening. Got a HireVue (video recorded interview scheduled). After passing the HireVue round, a panel interview was scheduled. It took around 1.5 weeks but the HR finally extended and offer. Overall great experience working with HR and Hiring Managers through the interview process. The panel interview itself was challenging. All questions (HireVue & panel interview) were to be responded in a STAR based manner.

Interview Questions
  • (HireVue) Describe a time when you worked on a controversial design issue. What role did you play? What was the outcome?
    Answer Question
  • (HireVue) Describe a time when you/your team were about to miss (or did miss) a deliverable to the program team. What creative things did you do to recover? What role did you play? What was the outcome?
  • (HireVue) Describe a time when you were proactive in a situation and your efforts resulted in an positive outcome for the assignment/project.
  • Describe a time when you had to solve a issue by building a relationship in a tough situation?
  • Describe a time when you had to make a tough decision. What was the outcome of that decision?
  • Tell us about a time when you accepted your mistake.
  • Tell us about a time when a something went wrong with a design issue. What did you do?
  • Describe a time when you solved an issue by a collaborative effort.
  • Describe a time when you had to resolve a safety related issue.
  • Tell us about a time when you had to deal with an issue that caused confusion amongst the team. What was your role?
67 people found this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

The process consists of 4 stages. The first is a Hirevue Behavioral Interview. Next day received a Coding Challenge(also through HireVue Three weeks later received phone screen where final 2 hour interview was scheduled for following week. Received an offer next day!

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

Good interview had no problems with the process and scheduling was good. Due to covid the interview was not as usual so that is to be expected since companies have to take precautions

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) (Ann Arbor, MI)

Interview

After a phone screen, I had an on demand interview- given prompts you recorded a video to record your answers. After that it was 2 video interviews with the team/potential future colleagues.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

HireVue interview was sent after applying, have to complete within one week of receiving the invite. Basic interview questions, followed by hirevue games that test your cognitive ability (puzzles, recalling shapes, etc...).

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time where a group project didn't go the way you expected it to.

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

First stage was the Hirevue video interview, 5 questions, 3 mins each & 2 tries on each question. Then, there were 2 little games you played after, one with shapes and one with numbers. That was all for the first part. Second stage was the hirevue coding challenge, 2 questions, leetcode style, they were pretty tough. This is all I have gotten through so far but will update if I hear back

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

To apply some logic, a programmer needs at least some quiet environment. When I was performing technical coding rounds with them, the interviewer was continuously disturbing me. My resume was made and submitted everywhere for front-end developers. And nobody has complained about it, I was shortlisted for an interview in GM too, but the interviewer said your resume looks like a cloud or DevOps one. I really do not understand if you find it like one, why you called me for an interview. Humiliating a candidate is very common these days but at least don't doubt on their skills.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

Straight forward STAR questions. Tell Me About Yourself. How Did You Hear About This Position? Why Do You Want to Work at This Company? Why Do You Want This Job? Why Should We Hire You? What Can You Bring to the Company? What Are Your Greatest Strengths?

Interview Questions
  • Name a time you dealt with a difficult person.

General Motors (GM)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (GM) in May 2021

Interview

GM's Career site is very user friendly. I recommend looking for jobs on the Career website instead of Workday, since it it a lot easier to navigate. Applying to positions on Workday was a good experience too. Once you submit your first application, you can reuse it for all other applications in the future. There is no option to submit a cover letter so that's even more time saved. If your application is approved, the next step is a GM recruiter reaching out via email to set up a phone screen. It's just a 15-20 min phone call where they go over the hiring process and go over a few things on your resume. Very casual. The recruiter should send you a link for a HireVue next. I completed around 10 phone screens and did not receive a HireVue for only 2 of them (if you don't get one that means you are no longer considered for that position). For HireVue you submit video answers for 3-5 questions. You get 2 tries; 30-60 sec to prep after the question is revealed the first time, but unlimited time before the 2nd try. For me, all the questions were behavioral (reading other reviews, this seems to be the case unless the position involves coding). If you are going to do a bunch of HireVues, buy a decent webcam + mic, have a lamp or light source directly aimed at your face for good lighting. Now you wait, 2-4 weeks before getting an email response. It will either be a rejection or asked to pick a time for final round interview. Final round interview will be with 2 managers, 60-90 minutes. Mostly on Microsoft Teams but for some positions in-person. The good thing is they ask the same behavioral questions as what you see in HireVues, and yes, you can basically gave the same answer again. Just treat them as HireVues with real people, have 2-3 questions for the interviewers, and you'll be good. Wait another 1-2 weeks to find out if you are rejected or an offer is extended. If you accept it's standard HR stuff afterwards. Just know if you're negotiating they won't budge on PTO, so focus on salary. The best case I've heard is someone getting the extra 5 days of PTO right away instead of after 1 year of service. But it's not a big deal anyways because the next PTO bump is at 10 years of service. No drug test unless you work in manufacturing or do vehicle testing. On WorkDay, under "Candidate Home", you can see the status of each of your application. They change before recruiters act so you can kinda tell what's gonna happen. "Review": They are looking at your initial application "Screen": You are getting a phone screen, you are also at this status even after submitting the HireVue. Basically the hiring manager is reviewing your HireVue. "Interview": You are getting a final round interview "In Process": You are going to get an offer You can also get "Not Selected" after all 4 of the stages above. How to Prep for HireVues and Final Round Interviews: Look at the questions I provided, they are all very similar. Prepare 6-7 work/school situations that you can spin depending on the exact behavioral question. The key is to have each situation be able to fit multiple questions by making slight adjustments. FOLLOW the STAR Format and adjust your answer accordingly to fit the question. Try to keep your answers between 1.5-2.5 minutes long. Make sure you have enough good answers, especially for the final round interviews where you can expected at least 5 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your experience and background (this one pops up on every HireVue, basically just go over your resume and highlight your strengths that are related to the position).
  • Tell me a time you had to solve a difficult problem.
  • Tell me a time you have to do something inconvenient.
  • Tell me a time you had conflict/had to deal with a difficult coworker/teammate.
  • Tell me about a time that you had to make a quick decision without full information.
  • Describe a time that you resolved a complex problem with minimal data and guidance?
  • Tell me about a time you were asked to do something you had never done before. How did you react, and what did you learn?
39 people found this interview helpful

General Motors (GM)

Application

I interviewed at General Motors (GM)

Interview

One phone interview, one in person interview, about an hour each, very straightforward and standard STAR format interview. Was at a college career fair with recruiters and was very standard.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,082 Interviews