GetYourGuide Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

GetYourGuide Interview Questions

Updated 17 May 2019

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GetYourGuide in July 2016.

Interview

Applied from overseas, had several interviews with tech and non-tech staff, including with the CEO, Johannes. Great experience. Probably the best recruiting experience I've ever had, and all that despite conducting interviews over skype and google hangout. They seem like a great company to work for. Logistically I wasn't able to make the move to Germany happen at the time, but hope to join them in the not-to-distant future. Stephen, the internal recruiter, was extremely helpful, honest, and patient throughout the process (as were all the team members I spoke with). Couldn't have asked for a better interview process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would improve the detail page.   1 Answer

GetYourGuide Response

26 Sep 2016 – Recruitment

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are glad you had a positive interview experience with us. Our recruiting goal is to find the best candidates for our team and we are very grateful that you... More

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GetYourGuide in May 2017.

Interview

Long. Their HQ is in Berlin, so time zone issues were bound to happen!
    3 total interviews - 1st over the phone, 2 over skype.
    First was with the head of my dept I was applying for, they then asked that I put together my own sales deck to be pitched during my next interview - scheduled to be 2 hours. Lastly, culture fit with head of operations and head of hr.

Prepare for:
    Presentation
    Role Playing

My advice to them would be a little more straight forward in asking questions.
    Feedback would also be nice after so many weeks of interviewing.

All in all, very nice staff!

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at GetYourGuide (Orlando, FL (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

First of all, I want to say that I waited several weeks prior to posting a negative review because I wanted to give the company a chance to respond. I sent an email to the Coordination team as well as completed a survey indicating a negative experience.
    From the start of the process, I knew that getting the offer would be a long shot because I had no industry specific experience, but believed that my sales and leadership skills as well as enthusiasm for the product would stand out. I wrote a unique and engaging Cover Letter and was thrilled to receive an invitation for a pre-recorded interview a week later. The questions were fairly standard and the HR gave several helpful hints on how to prepare for this step. It took them 2-3 weeks to get back to me with the next step and again I was very excited to be moved forward in the process. The next step was to interview with HR (culture fir interview) and a hiring manager for whom I was asked to prepare a presentation. The interview took place another 3 weeks due to the hiring manager being out of the office and trying to coordinate everyone's schedule in various time zones. I spent a considerable amount of time on researching the company, the destination (Orlando), the competition, the travel industry, etc.
    Although initially we were experiencing some technical difficulties, the culture fit portion interview went great. The interviewer was engaging and made me feel welcome although the 2nd interviewer's audio kept breaking up and eventually the connection was lost. The next portion would be to interview with two Regional Sales Managers, one of whom would be my direct supervisor. The first interviewer introduced herself, explained her role and shared some of her successes with the company. The 2nd interviewer barely introduced himself which I thought was a bit odd. The interview started out a bit defensively when she challenged me on why I wanted to work for a smaller company and how I handled stress. As we went into my presentation, both interviewers kept interrupting me with questions. I thought that perhaps this was part of the role play, answered questions and continued to stay on course by following my Power Point Slides. A little over half of my presentation, the hiring manager said the following (I am paraphrasing): "I am going to stop you. We are looking for someone for this position who understands the market. OK? Goodbye."
    So......Back to what I said earlier, I knew getting an offer would be a long shot, but is giving me 10 more minutes to finish a presentation too much to ask? I invested time to prepare yet the hiring manager could not possibly invest a fraction of that time to listen. Furthermore, it's amazing how one person can transform the entire interviewing process and by extension the image of the organization from a positive to a negative one.

Interview Questions

• What can we learn from you? This was asked during the prerecorded portion of the interview.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GetYourGuide.

Interview

Be cautious of interviewing with this company. There is a fine line between figuring out if a candidate is qualified for the job and poaching the candidate for information they can use for themselves. I spoke with several people who interviewed for the same job as I did - all highly qualified and who gave up specifics about their market knowledge and the job was not filled.

Interview Questions

• Some business-sensitive inquiries like specific sales numbers and commission rates. Asked a lot about which products in your market were most important and the exact strategy you would use to get them to join with this company.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GetYourGuide in April 2017.

Interview

You're given a two questions to submit in two days. You will be given feedback regarding your submissions.

The HR round is next. This is a phone screen. Talking to the HR was a pleasant experience. The technical interview is taken by team member and a tech lead. This was an average interview in terms of experience.

Interview Questions

• HR questions: Motivations for joining the company.
      Technical Questions: SQL problems and DataWarehouse questions   Answer Question

GetYourGuide Response

18 Jul 2017

Thank you for your review. We are glad you had a pleasant experience with us and really appreciate your feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GetYourGuide (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It was the longest, most puzzling, most disconcerting interview process I have been a part of in 10 years. I don't generally write reviews, but this awful experience made me feel I had to for anyone considering this company.

I applied online through their careers page.

One month later, I received an email citing "we are still in the process of reviewing applications" and "in the meantime, please fire any questions our way and we’ll be happy to answer them." I replied with a question, and received no response. If they weren't planning to respond, it wasn't a good idea to offer to take questions.

Two months after my initial application, I receive a second email citing the reason for the delay as "we wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page with the requirements for the role." It made me wonder why they even posted the opening in the first place if they weren't sure internally what the requirements for the role were.

Into the third month, I was finally scheduled for a 30 min call. I went over the usual questions about my past experience, interest in the role, etc. About halfway through the call, the interviewer asked me what I thought the role was about. I had the job description in front of me, so I stayed as close as possible to what was listed there. The interviewer's tone then turned dismissive, and said that was not what the role is about, then proceeded to describe a responsibility that was not listed anywhere in the job description. After that, the interviewer no longer seemed interested in continuing the call, and turned it over to me for any final questions. I politely asked what the timeline for making a decision on this role might be, and the reply was that there was no set time and it could take up even a year to select a candidate for the role. It was disconcerting to hear that the selection process could take longer than the already extended 3 months until the first touchpoint with a live person at their company. I then asked if the interviewer had any other questions or concerns about my experience or what I had shared during our conversation that I could further clarify or address. The interviewer said there were none, and that was the end of the call.

The next day, I received an email citing the reason for my candidacy being declined as "we have decided to continue with candidates who have a better understanding of the role." I was stunned. How was a responsibility that wasn't even included in the job description used as criteria for whether or not I had an understanding of the role? It seemed that after all, they weren't on the same page internally regarding the requirements for this role.

I had gone into the interview process with an open mind, despite the wealth of negative reviews about this company on Glassdoor. Unfortunately, I now have firsthand experience of what so many others have bravely described in their reviews. The way the process was handled (even with a rejection) could have been an opportunity to foster continued interest in the company as a future candidate or even as a consumer of their services. Instead, it left such a bad taste that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they value their time and expertise. If this is the way GetYourGuide treats candidates, I don't dare to imagine how they treat new hires or existing employees.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work here?
      What do you think this role is about?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GetYourGuide (New York, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

There was an initial screener phone call which seemed to go well. I got good feedback on the call from the interviewer. I was told that she would present her notes to the hiring manager. Two days later I received an email which seemed to be a standard template stating that I didn't understand the role, meanwhile I was told that I did my homework and I was told that I didn't have enough business contacts despite being in the tourism business with several years of business experience. I suspect that the hiring manager really didn't consider me with an open mind.

Senior DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GetYourGuide (New York, NY (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interviewer asked painfully novice questions such as "what is the 'du' utility?", "What is the 'df' utility?" "How do you redirect standard out in the shell?" The interviewer seemed very junior(he mentioned he was PHP dev that switched to DevOps) and seemed to have gotten his questions from a certification book. He wasn't interested in having a discussion that would reveal someone's knowledge of the OS he only knew the answers from whatever source he was the questions from. To make matters worse he was often wrong and had to be corrected. He frequently said "your answer is wrong" because it didn't conform to whatever certification guide he was using. To make matters worse he was smarmy on top of all this. I had to correct him twice. He then went on to ask some meaningless trivia like what Unix utility uses the merge sort algorithm?

I was never asked about my background or the big projects I have worked. I wasn't asked to write any code. In fact he asked me nothing at all about myself. The whole interview was cringe-worthy. This person should not have been interviewing candidates. He lacked basic interview skills as well as any real depth of knowledge to conduct such an interview. And as I mentioned he was condescending on top of all this.

Interview Questions

• What does the du utility do? What does the df utility do? How do you redirect standard out?   Answer Question

Guest Service Coordinator Interview

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager shortly after I sent my application in. The first interview was conducted over the phone with the head of office, the second interview was in person with the head of office and the direct supervisor of the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GetYourGuide (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Total 4 interviews. Skype interview request 1 week after sending resume. 1 in-office interview and 2 remaining interviews conducted remotely. Annoying because for the second interview they make you do a business case presentation that must be presented in 3 days in their office. So 15 hours of research and presentation building, for nothing. I’m sure they’re just using people for their ideas and not hiring them. Considering they request that you to submit the presentation via link in advance, meaning you don’t get your work back.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.