Goldman Sachs Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 5 Apr 2019

3.3

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter. First phone screen, the a technical phone round after a week or so. I thought I did well in the interview as i was able to pass all the test case. I had some hiccups though, but the interviewer helped. Rejected after the online code interview.

Interview Questions

• print all the characters that needs to be present to make a sentence an pangram   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by in-house recruiter. After establishing interest, I did a technical phone screen with a hiring manager. It was a pretty typical C++ screen. After that I was brought on-site to interview with two different teams.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to design an alerting framework for a trading system.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

This company gives one of the worst interview experiences.
    1. The recruiter does not respond in timely manner.
    2. Company does not give overview of interview process to candidates before the process begins
    3. If you ask for information like LinkedIn profile of the interviewer so that you can prepare for interview, recruiter does not even bother responding to your email
    4. If you get rejected, you will not get feedback in timely manner, neither you will find out details.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to check whether given tree is binary search tree   Answer Question
    • In a linked list, find nth element from the end   Answer Question
    • System design question to design alert processing system   Answer Question
    • Implement cache where each element in cache have its own expiry time.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX (US)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Irving, TX (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

I was approached my a third party recruiting company would forwarded my resume to GS. I was told there would be a coderpad interview followed by multiple rounds onsite. The process took about a week or so to get to coderpad round.

Interview Questions

• Coderpad interview: Given an array of non negative integers, find the smallest sub array that at least equals a value x that is also passed to the function.   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: given an array scores[][] = {“jerry”,”65”},{“bob”,”91”}, {“jerry”,”23”}, {“Eric”,”83”}}

Find the student with highest average score   5 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2017.

Interview

first Online Accessment, there are two code questions (some may have three) in one hour(I remember), if pass the OA, then is Video Interview in few weeks, which needs you to record a video tape, to answer the question in the screen. The questions are not hard, the online questions are about easy level, more about string handling and dynamic programming.

Interview Questions

• given a string, find all Unique substrings with k length, then sort. ex: caaab,k = 2,return aa, ab, ca   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in March 2010.

Interview

The resume is on core java and java threads. Then he switched to my resume and started asking about my contribution in each of the projects I listed in detail.
    It lasted for 40 mins. Then he said If I am shortlisted I will be called for a f2f interview.
    its been 2 weeks but haven't received any confirmation yet.

Interview Questions

• How to prevent livelocks in java threading   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview consists of two main parts. The first is a skills assessment test. It was pretty straight forward, but not a lot of time to complete everything. The second part consists of interviews with three different people.

The questions asked at the interview primarily revolve around your experience and they finish with one or two problem type questions. Every single problem question revolved around algorithms with arrays, and not STL arrays. Just generic language independent algorithms to solve a problem.

I was disappointed with the interview process. The people there seem stressed out and are very focused. They also didn't know what position I was interviewing for or anything about it, so they couldn't answer any of my questions about it. Since they use a proprietary language, I was also told C++ wouldn't be useful either. When leaving the interview, expect to feel like you've been kicked out the door, very informal.

Interview Questions

• How do you find 2 missing elements in an array of consecutive integers that are not sorted who's size is N-2.   7 Answers
    • How do you calculate weighted averages?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed first via the phone and was asked pretty basic questions about Java Garbage collections and junit testing. After that had 4 1:1 30 minutes interviews and was asked questions which were more scenario based and also on optimization, performance management and general system architecture.
    But did not get an offer after 2 weeks wait time.

Interview Questions

• What is the concurrent mark-sweep alogirthm for garbage collection?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

I had seven or eight phone interviews - all technical - with different Engineers and managers. Then I had interviews one day of 1:1 interviews in their offices in SLC.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, there is little/no room for negotiation, their offer will be strongly based on your last compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Contacted for a phone interview. Was asked about java and my understanding of multithreading and concurrency. Was also asked 2 problem solving questions. This was the first interview. I was able to do well enough for a second. This interview was similar to the first but lasted longer. Asked about Java and problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• Given an nxn matrix of numbers in ascending order in both dimensions how would you go about finding if the number y is in the matrix.   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.