Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Google

12,532 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Security Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewing at Google is interesting; it's very slow, but they act like they're on your side along the whole process. Your recruiter will follow up between interviews (which can be spread out over a long period of time while WFH) and team selection. Although they only offered me one team, I'm confident I could have asked for alternatives if I really didn't feel it.

Interview Questions

• Describe all the mechanisms you would use to find passwords on a powered off device.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

the whole interview process was very smooth, I get to interact with at least 5 different people throughout the process and learned a lot about the company from them. One of the interviewers came late but it didn't affect my experience too much. The questions are pretty standard data structures question. There is also a behavioural/cultural fit interview which I enjoyed a lot.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Google?   1 Answer

Interview

The interviewers were friendly and supportive, and I really enjoyed getting to talk with them about my work experiences and learn more about the company. Searching for a job is filled with ambiguity, but Google also has a very structured and streamlined hiring process, which eased the process on my end.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

One phone interview with recruiter
    One phone interview with software engineer with two coding questions in 45 mins
    5 onsite interviews in one day because of pandemic they were virtual

Interview Questions

• Onsite interview - Recommendation system coding question, LRU Cache with modification which was tough, Recursive matrix search question,
      Phone interview - one question was longest palindrome in string, finding subsets with modification   1 Answer

Ad Marketing Interview

Interview

Smooth and very to the point. They kept it very relaxed but it was about business. I never felt really pressured and never thought I was really being interviewed. Great.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Took a long time to hear back in between interviews and communication was spotty. It was lengthy and very informative. Spoke with multiple people of whom the position reports to. Asked about experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a tome when you had to work with a difficult teammate   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Interview

They had a very lengthy process but give you lots of information to help prepare. During quarantined times everything is done virtually which was not ideal but worked out okay.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

The full process took over a month. The generic interview was nothing surprising, a bunch of design and analysis questions. I had to come back for a non-traditional final round, however, that didn't go well. I didn't get a good sense of what I was being judged on and the one person who held my fate in their hands rubbed me the wrong way from the start.

Interview Questions

• How should Google Maps take photos?
      How much data does GMail use every day?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.