Google Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Google

3,347 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
1) Dynamic Programming
2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
3) Probability related programs
4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
Dynamic programming,
Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Technical Phone interview: They asked me a programming problem to solve which requires knowledge of algorithms and data structures. It was like any standard phone screening interview at one of the big tech companies.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Did an initial coding challenge consisting of 2 questions. Then did 2 back-to-back phone interviews each consisting of doing a coding challenge with a Google employee. It was overall pretty good, everyone I interacted with was respectful and nice.

Interview Questions

• I cannot talk about the coding questions due to an agreement I made.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in February 2020.

Interview

The first interview is a phone screen. For the first few minutes, we discussed an item on my resume. After that came the code portion, done on Google Docs. Finally, my interviewer asked if I had any questions.

I did not proceed to the on-site portion.

Interview Questions

• How did you go about accomplishing <special project>?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Coding Assessment. If that is passed, then continue to 2 technical 45-minute phone interviews with two different Google Software Engineers. If pass those interviews, then receive an invitation to an on-site interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

They had reached out to me in order to schedule a first online programming test. This was fairly easy and had leetcode easy style questions. Passing this led to two technical phone calls. These were a lot tougher and under NDA. The interviewers seemed interested in me and my resume, but ultimately I did not get the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

it was an online test, a phone interview, and an onsite. Process is lengthy, but reasonable. Its a good idea to study as the questions were difficult. Make sure to understand what the interviewers are asking.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied to the Software Engineer, Software Engineer - Infrastructure, and Software Engineer - Machine Learning positions. Had a decent resume including a referral and was rejected from all three positions within 3 days

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2020.

Interview

Phone screen with two different engineers an hour each. They both asked two questions. The first interviewer asked one programming question and then added onto different versions of the question. The second interviewer asked about testing and what type of tests would I write to check standard inputs in a given function. The second question was with the traversing of a LinkedList.

Interview Questions

• 1. A basic data structures question with hashmaps/hashtables
      2. Traversing LinkedList   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Sunnyvale, CA (US)).

Interview

Tech Screen, Phone Screen, onsite. It was smooth and easy. You have to write code in google docs during the phone screen. The onsite is easy, they work with you to get the best flights, and give you a rental car.

Interview Questions

• Create Linked list from a inorder tree traversal   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.