HotelTonight Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor.co.in

HotelTonight Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Interviews at HotelTonight

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, phone call with hiring manager, in person interview with a couple different panelists and each with a different theme and different hotel related case questions.

Interview Questions

• Case related hotel questions, if you were x and had this data what would you do?   Answer Question

19 Mar 2019 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to interview with us and happy to hear that you had a positive experience. Appreciate the feedback!

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

The interview process started very strong and I met with several people during multiple rounds of phone and onsite interviews. The process was lengthy and although I met with key stakeholders, etc. I was led to believe that things we very favorable. Once I completed the process, I was told that they would be meeting with other candidates for the role in the next couple of days and they would get back to me on next steps. I appreciated the quick turnaround to get back to me, it was just unfortunate that they decided to move in another direction and needed to pivot and recalibrate their direction. Note to company, make those types of decisions before engaging a candidate through several rounds of interviews during your initial calibration. I was completely transparent throughout the interview process and would have assumed they would have done their due diligence as well.

I have worked in my field for some time and I really thought the company saw the value I could bring to not only the team, but the organization, but glad that their disorganized true colors showed when they had. I am sure that they will find a better fit for the role and wish them luck, but realized pretty quickly that this is not a culture that is right for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenging stakeholder you have had and how did you partner with them?   Answer Question

4 Feb 2019 – Senior Talent Partner

Thank you for taking the time to interview with HotelTonight. Every role that we add to the hiring plan is carefully evaluated for its direct impact on the company’s KPIs. However, sometimes our plans must shift if priorities change. I'm sorry that this negatively impacted your experience with us and your feedback is taken seriously. I'll make sure to pass this along to to the team.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Assumed discrimination, by HotelTonight towards me, is my reasoning for writing this review. I cannot say for sure that discrimination happened, but I theres enough circumstantial evidence to support this theory. During my interview I was told, by the Director of the department, that I was too analytical for the role. At the time I considered this good feedback. However, their Recruiter reached out after the interview to say that I did not get the role because I was not analytical enough. She literally contradicted the Director. They encourage candidates to give feedback about the interview process. I emailed back asking why the Recruiter contradicted the Director. They did not respond to my inquiry. When a company refuses to explain their reasoning behind a candidate rejection they have to provide a legal, valid reason for doing so. Because they refused to answer my question, and contradicted themselves, I can only assume that there was something about me that they did not like, but they were not able to divulge the real reason because it's either an unethical, or possibly, illegal reasoning. Hoteltonight does not judge candidates based on their background and successes, but on reasons that they refuse to discuss for some reason.

Interview Questions

• How do you get clients to load rooms on to the platform? What strategies would you employ to make your clients successful?   Answer Question

8 Mar 2019 – Sr. Director of People

Thank you for sharing this feedback and we are truly sorry you had a negative experience. In this case the hiring manager misspoke and we can fully understand why this was frustrating for you. Again, we sincerely apologize.

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Process was pretty standard; initial phone screen, tech call, live coding challenge, and an onsite interview.

What set HotelTonight apart from others was their candidate experience. Their job posting was verbose and expanded on the first 1, 3, 6, 12 months on the job. Also, the recruiter laid out expectations for the interview process and the level of communication, both of which were fully met.

I was bummed to hear there wasn't an offer to join the team, but I'm glad I got to experience interviewing with HotelTonight; they for sure set a standard.

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Introductory phone call.
    Non-technical phone screen with Senior Engineer.
    Code test via Coderpad and Zoom.
    Onsite (ref: interview questions).
    Whole process took 3 weeks or so.

Everyone was super accommodating, polite, professional and a pleasure to talk to. Neat office as well.

Before the onsite I was given an itinerary of who I would be talking to (including LinkedIn links) and some topics for studying purposes but nothing super specific.

What stood out for me was not only were the discussions fun, intelligent and genuinely intriguing to answer but it also wasn't just "sit down and let me watch you code HackerRank-like questions for a few hours". I was able to learn about the company, processes and have a good back and forth with each person I talked to, including the CTO and a brief handshake/discussion with the CEO.

I didn't get an offer (was legit bummed... but life uh, finds a way) but was given some feedback and it was good to hear that it was close.

Definitely will be applying again in the future.

Interview Questions

• Good and bad practices in Rails. System architecture. Discussion of past projects on a product and technical level.   Answer Question

27 Mar 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Your review just made our day! Thanks for the great feedback and for being excited about HotelTonight. The team puts a lot of effort into making sure the interview experience is both fun and educational for the candidate, so we're really glad to hear you could feel that effort. Even though it didn't work out this time, we really do hope it does in the future. Thanks again!

Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

I will preface this with saying that I had been referred into HT directly to the highest levels in the org. However I am not sure if the recruiter contacted my blindly or via these referrals. I will also preface this with the fact that I have about 20 years experience, 7+ years of ruby on rails experience and also have been architect/platform roles etc.

I got the typical recruiter email asking for a phone screen. I had the phone screen the set up for the Friday. The lady who I spoke with was very nice. She started by explaining the current projects they are working on. She then went on to tell me that they hired 100 people in the last year. This was a bit of a red herring to me as the company has a few hundred employees. not thousands. Then she told me they were in the position to hire 5-6 'key hires' to fill important positions. Platform being one. I usually equate 'key hires' with 'higher compensation' so the interview was going fine. The first question 'have you ever heard of the technology ruby on rails'. This was a bit alarming since it has been my core tool for 7+ years and key on my resume. Following we spoke about process and jobs I had done. At the end of the conversation she asked about comp and my expectations. She told me the range and it was actually low considering the stage in the company and also for trying to lure 'key hires'. It was about 30-40 less than any other company had teased me with. The following Monday I got a generic email saying something like 'your career objectives are not in line with this position'. It seemed like as a whole the org scaled employees horizontally as opposed to vertically which is fine. I would have liked a more honest email like 'Your salary requirements are too high for this position'. Maybe that is a no-no in HR land but would have been nice to just say that concrete reason.

Overall very professional and prompt etc. The lower salary would not have made me accept an onsite in any case.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever used ruby on rails.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

This is my best interview experience ever. Recruiter reached out on linkedin, I responded and submitted my resume, the interview process was: recruiter phone screen, hiring manager phone interview, onsite interview & phone interview with CMO.

The interview process was very well organized, recruiter (Kim D) was very helpful, kept me well informed about what to expect regarding to timeline, and gave me tips and information on how the interview process worked. Everyone I met was very nice and pleasant. I received an offer 3-4 weeks after the initial interview, competitive compensation and benefits, I took the offer. Overall a great interview experience!

Interview Questions

• Experience related questions   1 Answer

9 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Well, this just made our day! Thanks so much for the great feedback, and I'm so happy to hear you had a great experience with Kim and the rest of the team. If you think of anything we can do to improve, let me know. And welcome to HotelTonight!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

-Interviewed at the end of July-early August. Received an offer mid-August.
    -Initial phone interview with recruiter, written assignment, call with regional manager, on-site interview

Overall, it wasn't that difficult of a process. I was finishing up college on the east coast, and the team was super considerate of my schedule and working with me throughout the process. The HotelTonight recruiters were a great resource and helped prepare me for each round, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Research and know as much as you can about HotelTonight's product.

Application

Interview

I found the position through LinkedIn on their company page and applied online. The questions in their form to submit felt relevant and crucial to understanding if I was a serious candidate and passionate about the role. It was by far the easiest application I have ever submitted in my life - and a great representation of their work as a tech company.

Shortly after I submitted my online application (within 2 days), a coordinator from their HR department (Sam C.) contacted me to set up an initial phone call to chat with her about the role and my experience. It was very casual and meant to genuinely get to know about why I was applying and my experience. She was my contact / resource throughout the entire process which was great to have a point of reference to get to know and be familiar with - something I haven't seen as strong in other companies before.

Since our call went well, she told me while on the phone that she would be sending over a written assignment to complete and send back within the next few days. The questions in the assignment related to managing hotel partnerships and thinking about how to ensure inventory on the app, regardless of what may be going on in the market. It was a good test for me to figure out if I would enjoy the job if I did receive an offer. Upon completion and review of my work, I was moved onto the next round. Keep in mind all communication with HR was immediate, direct and never left me questioning what was to come next.

She then set-up a follow-up call a few days later with an individual on the Supply Team to talk with in a more in-depth fashion about the position and get to know me better. This call was 30 minutes long yet was meant to see if there was a fit (as Market Coordinators are meant to be easy to talk to and social for HT's partner relationships). The individual I spoke with was extremely friendly and was open about the team and what my day-to-day work life would be like.

Something to note about applying is that in the final step of the process they require an in-person visit to the office (at your expense - which isn't an issue for individuals in the area already). I was happy about this being expected to meet everyone in person and figure out if I could see myself there. I had 5 back-to-back interviews of 30-minute increments in their SF office with a variety of individuals from my potential team. After that experience I knew I loved the company and I was glad that I could have that meeting before having to make a decision. The HR coordinator said that they could have set up a Zoom video call with the individuals to be able to determine if we should move onto the next step quicker (if I couldn't fly within the next week) but that an in-person visit is required.

I received an offer within a week of meeting the team in person and had phone calls set-up with the same HR coordinator to discuss salary, start date and benefits of the company. The offer came through Docusign which is very easy to navigate and fill out electronically.

Throughout the entire process I felt that the HR coordinator was a support in the interviews and that she was helping me do my best. Whenever I had questions I was welcomed to ask them. Over the month, I had a few last-minute calls set-up with the HR coordinator to go over any additional areas of concern or prepare for a call.

The process was extremely natural and whenever I felt confident about the interview or talk with someone on their team, it was reciprocated. They do not ask trick questions and truly want to know your story. HT is a fun, young company and therefore it is not a rigid experience applying for the role. By the end of the process when I received my offer I knew 100% that I would be taking the job and that I had adequate knowledge of the company and team.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position?
      Why are you applying to work for HT specifically?
      What are you most excited about for the position?
      What is your favorite movie?
      Where is your favorite place to travel?
      How do you work in teams? Are you competitive?
      Why do you want to work in a client-facing role? Do you have client-facing experience?
      Do you like receiving feedback on your performance?
      What are your best/worst qualities?   Answer Question

21 Sep 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Oh my goodness, your review made my day! And I'm so vey happy to hear that you loved working with Sam (she's fantastic) and found the interview experience to be thorough, thoughtful, and fun. We really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and are thrilled to have you on the team!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HotelTonight (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

Fairly straight forward process. Everyone I met was extremely nice and definitely had a passion for working @ HotelTonight.

1) Phone screen w/ recruiter - We just discussed the role and my background.

2) Skills Assessment - A few questions that were related to tasks you would be performing if hired. Took about 4 hours in total. Got the sense they were more around how you think than the answer in itself.

3) Phone interview - Situational question related to the job.

4) On-site - Interviewed with 4 people in total. Each interviewer seemed to be genuinely interested in getting to know me and the conversations we very casual. My last interviewer was the COO who basically sold me on taking the offer.

All in all, not super difficult. Just come prepared with knowledge of the HotelTonight product. Also, my recruiter was super helpful in preparing for each interview so definitely take advantage of that.

Received an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

HotelTonight Response

25 Jul 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're so happy to hear that you had such a great experience during your interview and decided to join the team! We always try to set our candidates up for success and prepare them before interviews, so it's great to hear that your Recruiter gave you some helpful intel. Welcome to HotelTonight!

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.