Hotstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 29 Jul 2018

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru).

Interview

Very poor experience. I was called onsite but didn't actually speak with anyone face-to-face, until the end of the day. All the interviews were on Skype! Both interviews had questions which did not focus on the basics but on stuff that only a handful of people in the world implement, and still don't get it right.

In one interview, my solution was not accepted at all even though it covered all edge cases. No edge cases were provided by the interviewer. Looks like he was expecting a certain solution and did not think it fit to evaluate other solutions. I went home and checked - what I provided and coded was the textbook solution to the question.

In another interview, the interviewer lied about his credentials (re: open source contributions) and boasted knowledge of a number theory algorithm which does not even exist! Like seriously? Overall, seemed like a incredibly toxic work culture. This interview ensured I will stay away from Hotstar leadership for the rest of my career. They are as bad as they come.

Interview Questions

• Under NDA to not reveal interview questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in March 2018.

Interview

They will make you wait and waste your time only to tell you at the end of an entire day that you are not a good fit. Prospective interviewees should ask what they want and their expectations clearly before attending interview so that they don’t waste your tome too. Suggest to stay away.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar (Mumbai) in January 2018.

Interview

I was interviewed at hotstar office. The process included a hackerearth test with some basic questions related to web tech followed by a technical interview. The interviewer seemed to be less experienced in front end and expected the answers which he thought were correct to him. Even the questions he asked had nothing to do with the product development activity. It seemed as if the questions of the interview were prepared from google.

Interview Questions

• Mostly the questions were related to http methods, settimeout etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by recruitment agency. The whole process took around 1 week to complete. Interviewers were nice and friendly but HR involvement was nowhere in the entire process. Interviews were rescheduled twice and even at the venue, during and after the interviews, there was no HR participation. Hotstar is a relatively new team and they are planning to expand.

Interview Questions

• One coding round : 1 hr, 2 subjective, 2 coding and 5 objective questions: Inorder > Preorder, expected output, inheritance, number of comparisons in sequential search. Subjective questions to write test cases for hotstar video player and search functionality. Coding questions 1. to read all movie names from the hotstar website and sort them, 2. Count matching times within a given range : like there are 4 in range 10:25:00 - 10:27:00 : they are 10:25:10, 10:25:25, 10:26:10, 10:26:26.
      Other questions included all combinations of characters in a string, puzzle : wrongly labelled boxes, basic unix commands, deep dive into selenium and DOM, jmeter, large scale performance testing, maven, ui testing without selenium etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar in January 2018.

Interview

First round will be pair programming your screen will be shared through Skype call and second round will be hackerearth round which contains around 10 MCQs and 2 mandatory programming tests and 3rd round will be another Skype call here they will test your basics and system design knowledge.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in November 2017.

Interview

Firstly, on-site HackerEarth coding round containing one programming question.
    Then two technical rounds, and
    Hiring manager round, and
    VP round.

Then it seems they have a debrief and finally HR round.

Technical rounds were over Skype and with reasonable difficulty level. The VP round was really interesting in terms of level of discussion I had and this actually convinced me to think positively despite so many negative reviews and low Glassdoor (currently 2.9 ) rating.

Hiring manager round was completely bogus. It was over call and I got the feeling that he is the one who wants to micro manage things, and can't think outside box. He asked questions related to how I would apply machine learning to automatically fix test failures. I tried answering with generic knowledge I had (un/supervised learning technique, neural network, weighted averages, feedback loop, etc) and he was unaware about these. (lol, asking questions when you don't even understand the subject).

I waited for 4 days for feedback then I reached out to the HR. I did not get offer as I won't be a good fit for the team. I politely requested to please give feedback to candidates (irrespective of decision ) to showcase professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures, Algorithms, Different framework's implementation, Java concepts etc   Answer Question

Senior Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hotstar (Mumbai) in April 2014.

Interview

Two to three rounds of interview with general questions about yourself. Previous job role and judging is mostly on your communication skills. Testing is based on your skills, intellectual ability, work pressure and flexible work timings.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru).

Interview

Worst interview experience I ever had in my 5+ years of experience. It was a skype call, the interviewer showed up 20 mins late, asked a couple of stupid theoretical questions and ended the interview just like that. Hardly took 15 mins when the allotted time was 1 hour.
    Even I take interviews. Atleast spend 10 mins to get to know the person and discuss their past work. They might not know answers to your very specific theory questions but they might have shipped apps far better than what you guys are working on. I feel sorry for the company who depends on such arrogant people to find talent.
    Advice to HR: please do mock interviews.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in March 2017.

Interview

My interviewer happened in Apr'17 and I recollect that the process was very thorough. They tested me on my ios understanding, data structures and algorithms - which is unique for a start up. They are not hiring just bodies like many other start ups but hiring people who can seriously add value and take ownership of big projects

Interview Questions

• What are different design pattern to create objects and how you going to design them   Answer Question
    • What is an "Id" in Objective-c, and how it able to support in message driven application (This was series of question starting from what is an ID and how it work and how it recognize and answer different method call)   Answer Question

Negotiation

The HR understands your POV and is aware of industry standards. They don't have equity.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar in October 2016.

Interview

Interview consisted of multiple Rounds. The process is fairly long and needs to be well prepared before attending.

Following rounds were conducted -
    1. Skype Screening
    2. Coding and HackerEarth Test - consists of Objective, Subjective and Programming questions to be solved in an hour
    3. 2 Technical F2F rounds
    4. Bar Raiser
    5. HR Negotiations

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a framework to test few features over hotstar Web and Mobile App. This needs to be scalable and use proper design principles   Answer Question
    • 2. Generate Load to test spikes and thunders like from 5K to 5000K in 30Sec Ramp up? Lots of performance test principles were while solving the problem   Answer Question
    • 3. Basic Android, Xcode and UNIX commands to install build, deployment and handling cloud applications like AWS/ Azure?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.