Hotstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 11 Apr 2018

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in March 2018.

Interview

They will make you wait and waste your time only to tell you at the end of an entire day that you are not a good fit. Prospective interviewees should ask what they want and their expectations clearly before attending interview so that they don’t waste your tome too. Suggest to stay away.

Automation QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotstar (Mumbai) in March 2018.

Interview

3 rounds
    1.Technical round(coding)
    2. Technical f2f
    3.Technical f2f
    So first thing they do is call all the candidate and give the same test to the all, whether that person have 1 yr of exp or 7yrs of exp,
    same qtns has to be solve by performence tester as well as automation tester
    and the intervierw who took my interview was not at all intreted to kisten answers as there were long queue of candidate

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru).

Interview

Very poor experience. I was called onsite but didn't actually speak with anyone face-to-face, until the end of the day. All the interviews were on Skype! Both interviews had questions which did not focus on the basics but on stuff that only a handful of people in the world implement, and still don't get it right.

In one interview, my solution was not accepted at all even though it covered all edge cases. No edge cases were provided by the interviewer. Looks like he was expecting a certain solution and did not think it fit to evaluate other solutions. I went home and checked - what I provided and coded was the textbook solution to the question.

In another interview, the interviewer lied about his credentials (re: open source contributions) and boasted knowledge of a number theory algorithm which does not even exist! Like seriously? Overall, seemed like a incredibly toxic work culture. This interview ensured I will stay away from Hotstar leadership for the rest of my career. They are as bad as they come.

Interview Questions

• Under NDA to not reveal interview questions   1 Answer

Vertical Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hotstar (Mumbai) in February 2018.

Interview

3 rounds - 1st with HR, 2nd with VP sales and 3rd with SVP revenue & marketing. All at the star office in mumbai. Casual, conversation interviews, Very clear on requirements.

Interview Questions

• Q. Why hotstar? Was the most important question i guess, which was asked by all 3   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar in January 2018.

Interview

First round will be pair programming your screen will be shared through Skype call and second round will be hackerearth round which contains around 10 MCQs and 2 mandatory programming tests and 3rd round will be another Skype call here they will test your basics and system design knowledge.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hotstar (Mumbai) in January 2018.

Interview

I was interviewed at hotstar office. The process included a hackerearth test with some basic questions related to web tech followed by a technical interview. The interviewer seemed to be less experienced in front end and expected the answers which he thought were correct to him. Even the questions he asked had nothing to do with the product development activity. It seemed as if the questions of the interview were prepared from google.

Interview Questions

• Mostly the questions were related to http methods, settimeout etc.   Answer Question

Head - Digital Marketing (International) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hotstar (Mumbai) in December 2017.

Interview

I had applied on LinkedIn, but received no response for two weeks. Being connected to the CEO on LinkedIn, had spoken to him earlier on potential opportunities, and sent in my CV via email to the POC mentioned by him. HR shuffled my email back and forth between internal teams, and I had to resupply my CV on at least 2 more applications. I had already sent in my CV on the LinkedIn applications. After numerous follow ups via phone and email, they scheduled my first interview after 3 weeks. A calendar invite was not sent to me (and possibly the Hiring Manager) and he missed the agreed committed date. Another slot was agreed on with much difficulty, during which the Hiring Manager expected me to spell out the strategy at an executable level. Despite giving him general guidelines (I am in a restrictive non-compete which will soon cease to apply, hence my application for this role), he was condescending and said that he had many other candidates from other top Dotcom companies also interviewing. This is despite the fact that I am already alum of such a top rung company, in addition to much more relevant and significant work experience. It took me another two weeks of follow up with the recruiters, and after repeated phone calls, I received a generic rejection letter. I consider using interviews to glean competitor information and an executable action plan as borderline unethical, especially if the interviewee is bound by terms of an NDA and non-compete.

Interview Questions

• What are the digital channels you would use to promote Hotstar in the US and Canada?   Answer Question
    • How would you decide the mix?   Answer Question
    • You have to get 100,000 subscribers on the basis of the IPL property. Given that cricket is not as popular, how would you target the audience to get this goal?   Answer Question
    • What is the approach to scaling app the campaigns at scale? What ad networks would you use and why?   Answer Question
    • What are the metrics you would track?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in November 2017.

Interview

Firstly, on-site HackerEarth coding round containing one programming question.
    Then two technical rounds, and
    Hiring manager round, and
    VP round.

Then it seems they have a debrief and finally HR round.

Technical rounds were over Skype and with reasonable difficulty level. The VP round was really interesting in terms of level of discussion I had and this actually convinced me to think positively despite so many negative reviews and low Glassdoor (currently 2.9 ) rating.

Hiring manager round was completely bogus. It was over call and I got the feeling that he is the one who wants to micro manage things, and can't think outside box. He asked questions related to how I would apply machine learning to automatically fix test failures. I tried answering with generic knowledge I had (un/supervised learning technique, neural network, weighted averages, feedback loop, etc) and he was unaware about these. (lol, asking questions when you don't even understand the subject).

I waited for 4 days for feedback then I reached out to the HR. I did not get offer as I won't be a good fit for the team. I politely requested to please give feedback to candidates (irrespective of decision ) to showcase professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures, Algorithms, Different framework's implementation, Java concepts etc   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru).

Interview

Worst interview experience I ever had in my 5+ years of experience. It was a skype call, the interviewer showed up 20 mins late, asked a couple of stupid theoretical questions and ended the interview just like that. Hardly took 15 mins when the allotted time was 1 hour.
    Even I take interviews. Atleast spend 10 mins to get to know the person and discuss their past work. They might not know answers to your very specific theory questions but they might have shipped apps far better than what you guys are working on. I feel sorry for the company who depends on such arrogant people to find talent.
    Advice to HR: please do mock interviews.

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hotstar (Bengaluru) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by recruitment agency. The whole process took around 1 week to complete. Interviewers were nice and friendly but HR involvement was nowhere in the entire process. Interviews were rescheduled twice and even at the venue, during and after the interviews, there was no HR participation. Hotstar is a relatively new team and they are planning to expand.

Interview Questions

• One coding round : 1 hr, 2 subjective, 2 coding and 5 objective questions: Inorder > Preorder, expected output, inheritance, number of comparisons in sequential search. Subjective questions to write test cases for hotstar video player and search functionality. Coding questions 1. to read all movie names from the hotstar website and sort them, 2. Count matching times within a given range : like there are 4 in range 10:25:00 - 10:27:00 : they are 10:25:10, 10:25:25, 10:26:10, 10:26:26.
      Other questions included all combinations of characters in a string, puzzle : wrongly labelled boxes, basic unix commands, deep dive into selenium and DOM, jmeter, large scale performance testing, maven, ui testing without selenium etc.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.