IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 9 Dec 2018

2.8

498 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IBM in March 2013.

Interview

*Please note that due to the size of the company this process may vary.

The interview came in three distinct phases. All were conducted over the phone. I was referred to the company by an employee so they seemed to be confident to not need an in person interview before making the decision.

Phase 1 was speaking with someone from the skills management department. She was a neutral party unaffialited with the department I would be interviewing with. She gave a breif overview of the company and what the position would be. After confirming I was still interested I continued to phase 2.

Next was a discussion with the hiring manager. This was not technical at all; mostly a meet and greet for both parties. I was asked mostly about my background and what I why I wished to work for the company. The manager shared some details about how the department operates and what I would be doing if I were to accept the offer.

Phase 3 was the technical interview. I had expected a number of whiteboard style questions but there was a distinct lack of them. I had already sent in some code samples of a game that I had created previously. The most technical questions related to the reason why I had made certain design choices when designing the code for the game. After that, the questions become more about myself and why I was passionate about technology and to see if I really enjoyed working in this field. Once I believe the interviewer was satisfied with my ability the interview became less about one way questions and more about free flowing conversation to see if I would mesh well with the team. Shortly after this interview the hiring manager called to let me know that they would be extending an offer to me soon.

The experience was a very positive one.

Interview Questions

• What was most unexpected was the lack of typical whiteboard style programming questions in favor of other topics.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The neogotian phase was very pleasant. However, the division of HR being in India and my department being in the US caused the process to move quite slowly. After getting put in touch with the proper people to speak with in the US the process was much smoother. After receiving the initial offer I did my homework and came up with a very solid counter offer. The counter was accepted without issue.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, MA (US)

Application

I interviewed at IBM (Littleton, MA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

In the phone interview, I was asked to introduced myself focusing on my developing experience and skills instead of being asked questions. Then I went to the second round interview, and talked with a technician in an office. I was asked how to design a website.

Interview Questions

• There would be a IQ test. Get well prepared for that or you might regret!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

phone interview, onsite interview, people are nice there. and lunch interview is good. did some programming tests and asked about technical questions, what i did in the past. some situation questions, what do u plan to do in the future.

Interview Questions

• what do you think your former employee will talk about you?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to the career fair for IBM. A few weeks later, I was contacted by a manager that they were interested in doing a phone interview. I did the phone screen and then was followed up with another technical phone interview a week later. Both went well so later on I then took the IPAT test and submitted more details on my application. I later then received an offer. I asked for an extension to decide after some interviews with other companies. For now, I will say that I "declined" the offer, but it is still on the table and who knows if I will accept it in the coming month.

Interview Questions

• Why does the printf statement take so long to print from the Arduino in one of my projects?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM (Burlington, VT (US)).

Interview

Meet with about 5 managers and teams, it's a day long. They do more speaking than you have too. Be honest and tell them your interests. The managers go over what they do and sometimes they describe the entire organization. The questions they generally have are not too difficult, but you should be on top of things just in case. This didn't happen to me, but someone had to write a small circuit example for an engineering job.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiations.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

No Technical Questions. Mostly common scenario questions. Initially had a phone call from recruiter. Then invited for hiring event. You get to talk to more than one division. You will then be invited for on-site. Offer arrives in 3 weeks or less.

Offer came late

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)

Interview

I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Questions

• General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Questions

• I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   3 Answers

As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.