Illumina IAspire Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Illumina IAspire Interview Questions

Interviews at Illumina

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application, which was followed a couple weeks later by a half-hour phonescreen, which was followed a couple weeks later by a four-hour iAspire interview event on the Illumina campus. The event involved group problem solving activities, a formal interview, and a shotgun presentation on one of three provided prompts. Overall, it was a fairly extensive interview process for an internship, but all skills tested were pretty much tasks any candidate should be expected to be able to perform.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a creative solution to a problem?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Illumina

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Applied online in October and received an invitation to digital interviews in November. Very common behavioral questions only. Then got called back in December for a phone interview with a senior engineer one week later. Still preparing for that.

IAspire Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina in November 2018.

Interview

First round is in November. It is online video interview asking about GPA, behavioral questions and some technical questions. Second round is phone interview with hiring manager. Third round is on-site.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

First step (November): Video interview using HireVue. Answering some behavioral questions to a program that records your answers. You have a couple of minutes to prepare each answer before it begins recording you. It's a bit awkward, but they know that.

Second Step (December): 30 minute phone interview. For me, this was with the hiring manager and a senior level employee on the team they selected me for. 10 mins going over my background, 15 mins spent on some technical questions (CS people, it was Data Structures related), and 5 minutes for me to ask questions about the team.

Third Step (Late Jan-Early Feb): Onsite interview. Held at the HQ, this onsite was mostly behavioral based exercises to see how you interact with a group. None of them were truly focused on end results or required technical depth, moreso on how you work as a member of a team. It was extremely fun, which I don't really say often about job interviews. There was a 30 minute technical interview with one of the people I spoke to over the phone, which was extremely casual-- just chatting about any updates I had about projects/classes, and then like 15 minutes spent on a fairly easy technical question. There was also a dinner and campus tour. I was flown out by Illumina, which was extremely nice of them. It was cool to meet other candidates and see San Diego.

Interview Questions

• Talk about tradeoffs in the various data structures you know.   Answer Question

Illumina Response

27 Feb 2017 – HR

Thank you for the feedback and we’re glad you had such a positive experience with our iAspire Intern assessment process! We strive to make improvements each year and create an engaging experience... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)).

Interview

Process begins with a digital interview using HireVue. This aspect is challenging as there is no feedback given for your responses. The next round involves a 30 minute phone call, with questions about previous experience and behavioral questions. Finally, there is an in-person session at Illumina headquarters, which was a half-day event involving all remaining candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about why you are well-suited to this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

First round was an online interview with 6 fairly straightforward, standard interview questions. Next round was a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. This consisted of some technical questions and a brief discussion of experiences on my resume. A couple months later I was flown out for a half-day interview on-site in San Diego. It was an awesome experience - the day actually flew by! We were given a schedule that included an interview with the hiring manager, two group activities, a presentation, a brief tour of the campus, and a networking event with dinner. It was really fun getting to meet some of Illumina's employees and the other iAspire candidates.

Interview Questions

• How do you solve problems?
      Describe one of Illumina's technologies.   Answer Question

Illumina Response

9 Mar 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We’re glad that you had a positive experience at our iAspire intern assessment centers and that you enjoyed getting to know members of... More

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

After passing a self-recorded video screen, I did a phone interview with the hiring manager and was asked about my previous research experience and the reason why I applied for the internship.

Application

Interview

Step 1: Video interview using HireVue. A question flashes, (mainly behavioral, some technical), and you answer while it is recording you. It's a difficult experience talking to a laptop and not being able to redo any of your answers so I would practice beforehand!
    Step 2: 30 minute phone interview. The phone call is more technical than the video interview and should be with your hiring manager.
    Step 3: Illumina Assessment Center - Day long event at Illumina's headquarters. By this time they are often choosing between two candidates. You can't really prepare very much for this event as it involves more on the fly behavioral activities. You break into groups with other interns and participate in 3 different problem-solving activities, another technical interview, and prepare a presentation on one of two provided prompts. While tiring, the assessment day is pretty fun and if you can't keep up you shouldn't be at a fast-paced company like Illumina!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.