Intel Corporation Senior Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Intel Corporation Senior Process Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Intel Corporation

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

First, got one phone interview for an engineering position with group No. 1. This one was very basic and informal, and most of the time was spent chatting about the company itself, my previous experience, and the details of the job.

Second interview was on-site with group No. 2. After the phone interview they had apparently passed my resume on to a different group, but it wasn't exactly clear. The interview lasted for a full day and consisted of nine back-to-back interviews in the cafeteria, with a break for lunch off-site. I had to be escorted everywhere, even to get a coffee or to go to the bathroom, and saw virtually nothing of the company except the cafeteria and a conference room. They couldn't even tell me what I would be working on, beyond the most general or basic of terms. At the end of the day I was expected to give an hour long presentation on my PhD research. Exhausting.

Most questions were technical, like "can you describe how XYZ works," but there were also a few questions like "if you had a problem with a co-worker, what would you do?"

Portland is great, the pay would be good, but I was not impressed with the job itself. These people are expected to put in 60 to 80 hours a week, possibly more if needed, plus be on-call 24/7. And, since it's a huge company that makes very precise, reliable devices, the engineering jobs require extreme specialization.

The process engineering job interview focused heavily on real-world problem solving skills. They wanted someone who had lived in the lab, who had owned a tool, and had solved complicated experimental problems on it. Theoretical or academic knowledge was not a priority.

Interview Questions

• "Describe your most difficult problem in the lab, and how you solved it."   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

My advising professor received an email from a former student saying he was looking for recent/soon-to-be graduates in Mechanical Engineering. I sent him my resume and the next day had an hour phone interview, consisting of the details of my engineering experiences and what I wanted to do in my career. The next week I had an informal interview in Santa Clara, mostly consisting of more questions about my engineering experiences, and a thorough tour of the facilities related to the position and a lot of detail about the specifics of the job (the hiring manager was very concerned both that I was a good fit for the job and that the job was a good fit for me). The next week I came in for a formal interview, consisting of a 30 minute presentation of my engineering experiences to the group and a series of one-on-one interviews with each member of the group. The questions weren’t too difficult, with the exception of a few technical questions (by the younger members) and one interviewer who had some sort of sheet of standard (mostly behavioral) interview questions for a process engineer.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected: what are the 2 golden rules of an op amp (I’m a mechanical engineer)?   2 Answers

The job sounded amazing, but I got another offer for another (also amazing) job which had a much better location with regard to family and affordable housing.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

Started with submission of resume, got a phone call and on site interview was scheduled. Nice accommodation and rental car, one on one with managers to understand job requirements. Managers try to be as realistic as possible and inform you of all the challenges of the job.

Interview Questions

• The interview are very simple and straightforward. Mostly they would like to know what you did in grad school and what were your major contributions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

do not negotiate

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Chandler, AZ (US)) in June 2012.

Interview

A friend of mine forwarded my resume to the group leader. After a couple of days, I received an email asking for phone interview availability. The phone interview was only about 40 mins, basically he provided the information of the position and asked me my PhD work. At the end, he asked me for three references, but did not specify whether I'll be invited for an onsite interview. After about a month, I received a formal invitation.
    The onsite interview started at 10AM. It contains 7 one-on-one interviews and a 45mins presentation, and they took you out for a 30min lunch at noon. The 1:1 interviews mixed with technical and behavior questions. Everyone was nice but all the questions they asked were pertinent both to the position and your field. So I was pretty exhausted at the end of the day. You also can tell these engineers are really professional. Unfortunately, I did not receive the offer. However, the overall experience was very pleasant and precious. My advice is to refresh your statistics and undergraduate subjects 'cause most of the questions are not difficult but you may just forget the proper terms to answer them precisely.

Interview Questions

• The numbers you measured, do they show any statistical significance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

After applying to several positions online and getting turned down, I finally got a phone interview from a group leader. During the phone interview I was asked to describe my research as if doing so to someone outside of my field. I was given 10 minutes to do so. Thereafter, the interviewer asked questions about some of my publications that he seemed to have already read before hand. He then proceeded to ask some tough random questions related to my optics background.

Right at the end of the phone interview, I was offered an onsite interview which I scheduled for the week after. The onsite was in Hillsboro, Oregon and comprised of a 45 minute presentation followed by questions. That was then followed by 9-10 one on one 30 minute discussions with various group members and other group leaders. I was also interviewed by the area manager who was the boss of the group leaders. All the interviews happened in the cafeteria, which made things less tense.

Ps - It is worth mentioning that the phone interview was my second with Intel. The first one had happened a week earlier with a different group leader, but somehow I got turned down for an onsite later that week. Intel recruiters tend to follow up on people like who get turned down, which is how I think I obtained the second interview (with a different group leader) a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• what was the numerical aperture of such and such lens in your experiment? Tell me about the Michelson-morley experiment?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as the offer was very impressive all the way down to the retirement package.

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

The hiring process started with a recommendation to the hiring manager who then setup a phone interview. The phone interview basically went over questions like: why do you want to work for Intel? In this phase it is important to understand the culture at Intel PTD (Portland Tech Dev) which might be different from the general Intel culture. This is the group that churns out new chips every two years. The work is intense so if you like an intense work environment be sure to give examples of why you have enjoyed this in your PhD.

This was followed by an invitation to come to Hillsboro for an onsite. The interview consisted of a presentation on your dissertation work followed by 1:1 with managers. Be prepared to interview for 6-7 hours! If you go in ready for a long day you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell us the most challenging technical part in your PhD. How did you overcome that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation since this was my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

I received a phone call from an Intel D1D employee who had found my resume in the Intel resume database. We played phone tag for several days during my vacation and agreed via voicemail to talk in more detail the day I returned home. I received a call from him on that day and was told the conversation would last about 45 minutes and that the caller had a series of questions he was required to ask me. I had not been informed beforehand that this was going to be a formal interview, so I had done no preparation. I was under the impression from our exchanged phone messages that we would just be talking about the details of the job to find out if I was interested in applying, since they had sought me out. During the conversation, I was asked numerous questions about my Ph.D. research. At the end of the interview, I was told that if they were interested in bringing me up to Oregon for an onsite interview, I would receive a call from an admin within the next two weeks. If I didn't receive a call, they weren't interested. If I had known the nature of the call ahead of time, I would have reviewed my dissertation and been more prepared for the interviewer's questions.

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR (US)) in December 2010.

Interview

I posted my resume in the career fair at my university. Next day I was informed that of the 200 odd resumes that they had received, only mine had been forwarded to the company. I received a call next week from a group leader at Intel regarding setting up a phone interview, which I did for the very next day. The phone interview was a breeze.. I kept talking and talking for the whole one hour and finally they interrupted me as the time is over. They asked me to come over to Hillsboro for an onsite interview 2 weeks later.

The onsite interview was a bit long and boring. Presentation attended by around 20 people, group leader 1-1 interview and interviews with many other people. There was a technical session too- in which they asked random questions which seemed totally unrelated. At that time I thought I was a goner, but then I realized that they were just putting me under pressure and seeing how I perform.

I have to mention here this is a "no-research' job. For someone who also has very good post-doc fellowship offers, which I am pretty sure would have translated into faculty positions in 3-4 years offers, it was a dilemma whether to move to the industry where there is no research. But, considering my family position, I decided my dream of becoming a professor is not as important as keeping my family happy and well fed. I decided to be sucked in my the green bills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was as expected. I tried negotiating, but they did not. I did not go further as this was my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

I got an email from Intel employee asking to set-up a phone interview. I was interviewed over the phone twice. The other guy on the phone gave me some hint about what kind of questions they can ask. They asked me to come over for an on-sight interview. First on site interview was a panel technical interview. They did not question those questions which they had asked me to prepare. I couldn't really do well since I was well prepared for device technology and physics. but they asked me all sort of questions related to tools. It seemed that they were looking for someone with more tool maintenance knowledge. After that a presentation of an hour. Then food and their information session. Then tour of the facility. Then another personality HR type interview. At last another 30 minute 1:1 technical interview. All of my technical interviews were based on tools and their maintenance which was not exactly what they told me before. :(

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in May 2007.

Interview

Intel has a standard questions booklet they select questions from to test your individual apptitude and personality. They will also ask you to give several examples of situaitons you've been in that were confrontational, difficult, challenging, etc. It is helpful to have such examples prepared beforehand. I was also asked a very difficult technical question that involved semiconductor processing, but few of the other candidates reported questions as complicated as mine.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of an example of where you had to deal with a supervisor or superior was resistant to accept your opinion or any changes you suggested?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.