Cover image for Bay Area Community Resources

Add an Interview

Interview Question

School Based Mental Health Counselor Interview

Bay Area Community Resources

Interviewer asked how a Counselor should and would work with a family who doesn't respond to communication and doesn't show much interest in working with the School Counselor. Interviewer also asked how a Counselor should handle a case of suspected child abuse.

Interview Answers

2 Answers

After reaching out through phone contacts, emails, and mailed letters, I will make a home visit in attempt to visit with the family. I will discuss with the family any problems and together come up with a solution. I worked 17 years in CPS and our agency received calls of suspected abuse from schools. I will first discuss the concerns with my superior and follow their guidelines before contacting CPS.

Anonymous on

I would try to reach out to the parents in whatever way possible to make a connection with them in the hopes they would be more willing to work with me. I would also work more closely with the student to figure out why his/her parents are not interested in working with a counselor as well as what the extent of the abuse is. Every case is different, so it is hard to say what I would do if the student does not admit to being abused but I still strongly suspect it is happening.

Anonymous on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.