Intuit Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 25 Mar 2019

3.1

73 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA (US)).

Interview

- initial phone call from HR to discuss positions
- was matched up with a manager and had a phone screen that was about 45 minutes long focused on technical questions
- the following week, was flown out for an all day interview that consisted of a combination of technical, business, and social questions.
- there was also a lunch included as well a tour of the facilities

Interview Questions

• There were a series of questions based on a fictional programming language where you're prompted to create methods based on a series of rules/restrictions. Required ad hoc thinking about how to work within contraints of this made up language. Each subsequent question required expanding further with this language. While the solutions seem very clear after the fact, it was definitely a good mental challenge during that hour.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Intuit

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

Initial 45 min interview, asked to write basic data structure like stack impl, using hashmap, write Fibonacci, Interviewer was mostly quite and felt like forced to interview. Then was called onsite, 5 interviews, 2 with senior developers and 2 staff members. Senior developers were not knowledgeable, staff members asked good puzzle only questions which I could not answer. Interview with product manager was waste of time. Also they do not file GC for Sr Software Engineers in EB2. So beware before you go for interview !

Interview Questions

• Asked to write code for polynomial additions (3x2 +5x-9)+(6x2-3x+7).   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was great...few technical rounds followed my HR round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter.
    This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day.
    Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site.
    Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy.
    Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all.
    First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way.
    Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head.
    Third one, same outcome as first question.
    Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out.
    Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from.
    At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses.
    Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions

• All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Reno, NV (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through linkedin and arranged for a technical discussion. The technical round is usually a call with a webex where couple of technical questions and a small program is asked to be coded.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a HTML 5 page to parse JSON data
      2. Couple of basic SQL questions and Data Modelling
      3. Java Programme to find avg sal per employee based on the case given.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Menlo Park, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online. They responded after 2 or 3 weeks. The recruiter was great. He was very friendly but gave me all the information i wanted without stalling. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. They got back to me after 3 or 4 days asking for my availability for face to face rounds. The second round interviews were all pair programming sessions and they asked some other technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Didn't find anything difficult but they did ask some architectural questions which i didn't answer well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't have to negotiate. The package was much better than i expected even when they knew my current salary which was considerably lower.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview starts off with a brief phone interview with HR followed by hiring manager. The ask you to prepare a program before coming in and present it. I was impressed with that part of the interview but that was the extent of it.

The staff they have focus on a lot of details that don't really address whether you're a good engineer or not. They were more interested in the munition of the language than anything else. It was also frustrating that they gave no time for you to ask questions or get a feel for exactly what they were looking for. It seemed to me they were more interested in their own needs than having a mutually beneficial conversation. I really felt this wasn't a fit for them or me after I left and wouldn't have taken an offer if one was given. Pay was too low and job seems like you'd be battling your way through all the time.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine the cyclomatic complexity of a given function?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

There was a phone round screening, which was scheduled for an hour but went about 10 minutes over. Interviewer was professional and not a text book questioner.

I was called in for an on-site for about 5 hours.

Interviewed with the manager over lunch then I was handed over to engineering folks to interview.

I was provided a computer to work on and asked to implement some questions. It is called craft work. Went well and the interviewers confirmed I had the solution.

Next it was QE and Engineers - this was the interview, which was very interesting in terms of questions asked - mock data, unit test, code coverage etc. Very relevant ones. Ensuring bridge between QE and Engg. Then I was interviewed by the Product Manager. All of them confirmed that I had answered them everything that they were looking for.

Now this get comically interesting to me. 4 days later I get a call from HR to inform me that I did well and they liked my attitude and answers, but team has decided not to hire me instead refer me to other teams and I am still active. Most bizzare - say either yes or no. And, for that reason, I have given a thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• Craft presentation - implement todo application.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit in February 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews. The first phone interview was from HR to verify information on your resume, etc. Then it was technical screen interview. It lasted 30 minutes. very basic technical questions.
    Onsite interview was in the following week.
    Two weeks later, I got the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

I was asked typical data structure and algorithm questions. Other questions revolving around objective-c patterns (since I was really being interviewed as an iOS candidate). Was pretty disappointed with the overall interview process since I never even heard from Intuit after the interview. Even if I didn't ace the technical interview questions, it would have been great to get some feedback. I talked with some engineers who came across as very bright, others seemed pretty average. I didn't really get the sense that any of them 'loved' their job and most get pigeon holed into projects that turn engineers into specialists, not generalists.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how to perform a binary tree sort. *They really wanted to make sure I understood recursion.   Answer Question