Konami Gaming, Inc. Applied Mathematician Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Konami Gaming, Inc. Applied Mathematician Interview Questions

Interviews at Konami Gaming, Inc.

1 Interview Review

1.0

Applied Mathematician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Konami Gaming, Inc..

Interview

I applied to this company when I was down on my luck and had a very hard time finding a job. I noticed that the job kept showing up in my recommended feed for several months. Unfortunately, this was a major red flag to which I was oblivious: why would the job posting stay up for several months? They called me out of the blue one day and told me they were interested in having a phone screen with me. I happily obliged.

The phone screen was particularly easy. They were mainly concerned with *hearing* a certain number of years of programming experience, and your view on the ethics of gambling. They are looking for someone to answer they're on neither end of the spectrum of gambling.

About a few days later, I get a call from the recruiter and she was super excited to let me know that she wanted to invite me to do an on-site interview in the next week. (This is another problem they have: they call unannounced, which creates pressure for you to agree in the moment) I told her I couldn't answer that question right then and there because I wasn't home when she called, and that I needed to call her back when I had my calendar in front of me because I had a full schedule of interviews planned in the coming week. Immediately, her demeanor changed and she got incredibly defensive and upset telling me they're looking for someone who is committed to Konami and Konami only, and she threatened to pull the onsite request right then and there. I profusely apologized and tried to do damage control to save the interview. She reluctantly accepted my apology and allowed me to call back the next day with my availability on when I can come onsite.

When I called the next day after looking at my calendar, I was met repeatedly with no answer. Given the difference in timezones, I decided to call back in an hour (after another phone interview that was scheduled with another company). About 20 minutes into the call, I get a rejection e-mail from Konami Gaming. At this point, I start feeling incredibly scared about what that meant. Why would the recruiter tell me I could call back, and then reject me? I thought it might've been a mistake, so I called back and was again met with voicemail. The recruiter promptly called me back 5 minutes later, and here's where the worst of their unprofessional process happened:

The recruiter woman immediately starts dishing into me about how I could possibly think a rejection would be a mistake. She proceeded to yell at me for a good 5 minutes. She noted that I didn't seem very committed to working at Konami, and that it reflects poorly on her when she invites candidates who aren't *a sure thing* to the onsite. According to her, one should never mention they have other offers or interviews on the table, because HR shouldn't have to compete for me. (At every other company I've interviewed with, they want to know if you're in talks with other companies so that they can accelerate the hiring process before they lose you).

It's incredibly unprofessional that they expect you to literally drop everything just for them in exchange for the CHANCE to interview with them. Really, I shouldn't just hung up on her but given that I was incredibly desperate for work at the time, I thought that *maybe* if I could just talk some sense into her, I could salvage the opportunity to interview and possibly secure the job. Nope. She explained to me that she called other candidates and invited them for the onsite instead and that the rejection was final. Now think about it: why is she allowed to invite multiple people for the onsite for ONE position, and I'm expected to drop everything just for them?

I was utterly devastated by what happened because I was having such a hard time finding a job post-graduation, and I was incredibly salty about it all. But in the end, things worked out for me that I have a job at a FAANG making double what I would've here. I would seriously NOT recommend you deal with this company, as it seems they're trying to prey on candidates who are in a bit of desperation for a job. If it seems like you're going to give HR trouble, they'll drop you in a heartbeat.

Interview Questions

• What are your moral and ethical views on gambling?   Answer Question
  • You may be expected to play some of our games out in the real world. What features do you think would keep you as a player engaged?   Answer Question
  • What is your experience with probability and statistics?   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.