LinkedIn Senior Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

LinkedIn Senior Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at LinkedIn

2.8

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

You need to understand that a data scientist role in companies like LinkedIn or Facebook has nothing to do with data science in a way you imagine it. You will not be building models, you won't be training models, you won't be updating models. Most likely, you won't be even doing A/B tests. All you need to know is SQL and how to do self joins. In the industry, once a company sees that you're a data scientist at LI or FB (not a researcher), it immediately understands that you don't possess any required skills to be a "real" data scientist. If you want to be a data monkey with a good pay but without a single chance to move to a real DS role, go for it.

Interview Questions

• Walk through the resume; what is one feature you want to have added; how will you assess the success of this feature
    Tech part: exactly the same SQL questions like in Facebook's interviews (left join, self join) but then was asked to rewrite everything in Python   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for LinkedIn

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

Applied through a referral. Shortly after, a recruiter responded to set up the first round of the interview process, which was a technical screen.

This was done in SQL and Python through a shared text editor (that is, both the interviewer and interviewee can see what each person is typing). The questions were quite easy and very straight forward. Made a few minor slip ups here and there (something that can easily be caught in a real-life situation when you'd be able to see outputs or error messages). Here's where I believe the assessment was unfair. There was no specification on which variant of SQL this interview would be conducted in. I coded up my SQL commands in PostgreSQL, but there are slight variations in some of the functions/syntax across different SQL languages. Despite that what I coded was 100% correct in PostgreSQL, because it didn't work with Presto, the interviewer deemed it incorrect.

The interviewer was also clearly copying the query I wrote into the editor to verify, so that's why she must have thought I was wrong. So despite writing a completely working query for each of the questions, because it did not conform with one specific variant of SQL, I did not make it to the next round. The number of changes needed to even get it to a working state were so minor too. At least 95% of the query was exactly as she expected it to be.

Honestly I was very surprised I didn't move forward... It seems she expected everything to run 100% correctly with no typos or errors despite me not being able to run the code to see the output. Absolutely unfair interview process.

Interview Questions

• Basic SQL manipulation with joins and group bys.
      Python pandas manipulation   1 Answer

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter, followed by a technical phone screening. The questions were SQL and R data manipulation problems, both pretty easy. I have terrible test-taking anxiety (always have) and explained that calmly and clearly. Still finished the problems in time allotted and maintained a positive, enthusiastic, non-defensive attitude. Saying that because I didn’t pass the screening by 0.1 point. The feedback was “you seemed really nervous”, said with clear judgment and disgust. They mentioned small syntax errors, but I corrected those and that happens in normal development, even by the most senior at my company. I currently work as a Data Scientist and have an MA in statistics so there is no way i’m not technically capable to advance in the interview process. I believe I was discriminated against based on my mental health (anxiety). I will never interview at LinkedIn or consider employment there again.

Interview Questions

• SQL and R data manipulatjon questions. Easily answered using tidyverse functions and SQL case statements, subquerying, COUNT DISTINCT, and filtering in WHERE clause.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

2 phone interviews(coding+problem solving skill)+on-site. Coding test is just SQL and Python, very interactive experience. For Problem solving interview, be sure you study the material the recruiter sent, very helpful instruction. On-site is 5 hours including lunch, almost everyone asks about AB testing, seems to be a heavy part of their daily job and interviewing criteria. One this made me a bit surprising and disappointing is the onsite tech/coding session. The lady asked me the exact same question as my phone tech interview, so I basically just repeat my answers again, and she told me that she is not familiar with python. I explained my code to her but she didnt quite understand, I can feel she is really not familiar with the syntax. And then she made a conclusion that my code doesnt work, and asked me to stop explaining. It is possible that I did not do a good job explaining my thought process/method, but there is no way I passed the technical phone screening but failed this one with the same set of answers. Other than this, the whole onsite experience is pleasant and I do feel the passion people working at Linkedin to make this product better its goal.

Interview Questions

• personal experience, AB testing, why do you want to work for Linkedin, some business acumen testing   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I had 2 technical phone interview and one on-site at their HQ. LinkedIn is a big company but the recruiting process is very disorganized. They have the worst recruiters I have ever worked with. Multiple rescheduling and they easily don't give you a call at the scheduled time. They need a big overhaul in their recruiting team.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)).

Interview

The Interview process is very challenging but the interviewers are really nice. The onsite interview is a whole day interview composed of 6 modules. Almost all modules are composed of product sense questions.

Interview Questions

• Solve a product problem by designing a multivariate ab test.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at LinkedIn (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite (7 rounds). Had a first phone screen with a manager. Questions revolved around SQL, probability and statistics. The recruiter was non-responsive and I had to write multiple emails and even call to move the process forward. I was initially considered for a different team and then was interviewed for a different team which felt that my technical background wasn't a good fit. I am sad that I wasted 5 hours in interviewing with such a company. I used to be a premium member, but I was so pissed off that I have cancelled my membership. It probably doesn't matter to the company but LinkedIn, you just lost another paid subscriber.

Interview Questions

• Questions mostly ranged around product metrics and analytics cases.   1 Answer

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

I had 3 phone interviews:
    1- with the hiring manager, talked about my works/research.
    2- with a team member, Technical, on open-ended questions and product sense analysis
    3- with the hiring manager, Technical, open-ended questions and coding

Two weeks after my third interview, they contacted me telling me that the position has been filled!! They forwarded my application to their engineering section.

Interview Questions

• The buy/sell stock days to gain the maximum benefit.   1 Answer

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

This is a review ONLY for the data science team. Other teams in LinkedIn seemed great!

Two phone screens + Onsite Interview
    Coding + Metrics + A/B testing + Product Insight

Overall, interview was very easy. Lowball offer.

'Bait and Switch' interview - offered me a position that I won't of even applied for and pretended like I applied for it all along. Shocked that LinkedIn, as a recruiting company, would allow such an deceptive, unethically practice.

Hiring manger are unprofessional. He lied to me multiple times during the interview (fyi all that information is available on glassdoor, LinkedIn website), demanded to speak with me at random times and displayed clear ethnic favoritism. Basically, I would completely avoid unless you share the same ethnicity as the hiring manager or are in desperate need of a job. No one really seemed to know much about product analytics. It was a pretty disappointing experience. Overall, just a complete waste of time and the interview process is long (takes months).

One of the employees even shared with me during the interview that this hiring manager rarely ever approves any vacation during the first year. Overall, that sums up how I felt about the team: EXPLOITATIVE AND UNETHICAL!

Interview Questions

• Simple stats/A/B testing. One more complex coding question.   1 Answer

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LinkedIn.

Interview

The internal recruiter who identified and contacted me was excellent in all respects: very professional, helpful, diligent, and genuinely trying to identify the best talent for the company. I was given enough information about what to expect from the interview process, how to prepare for it, about the team and its goals as well as the company's recent highlights. And then came the phone screen...

The interviewer was very satisfied with my coding skills and told me during the call itself that I finished it faster than other candidates. He then asked me a few questions related to data science and algorithms. For just one of them, I told him that I looked into the mathematics of it about three years back, and so do not have the mathematical details of it on the top of my head, and then gave him an overview of the concepts involved. That was it. I was rejected, for saying that one partially negative thing about myself.

In the recent times, many companies are trying hard to improve their interview processes, as was evident in how the internal recruiter handled it. The interviewers are in need of more training still.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.