McGraw-Hill Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McGraw-Hill Interview Questions

Interviews at McGraw-Hill

2.8

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (New Orleans, LA (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process consisted out of several phone interviews and 2 face to face interviews. During one of the face to face interviews, I had to give a formal presentation using the company's software. Almost everyone will have to complete some of project.

Interview Questions

• They ask me a lot of situational type of questions. How I would handle certain situations and how I have handled them in the past.   Answer Question

Learning Technology Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Washington, DC (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

What a collossal waste of time!!! I was contacted by a recruiter from McGraw-Hill. After the initial phone screen, I was scheduled to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. On the day that was to take place, I got an email saying he had to cancel. I should have taken this as an early indicator as to how things were going to go, but I didn't. A week goes by and the recruiter calls me again and speaks to me like this was the first time we spoke on the phone. I did tell her about our previous appointment that she cancelled on the sales manager's behalf and she apologized and continued on like nothing happened.

I passed the screening, the sales manager's phone screening, the in-person interview, I completed the project they asked me to do on my own time(which I did on my vacation time), I passed the next interview/demonstration portion and moved on to yet another interview with the VP of that region. I was doing very well in the interview with him and twice tried to close him, but he said that he just didn't know me enough to make that decision. Mind you, we talked for an hour and the same questions the hiring manager asked me, he asked as well. I was told that they would get back with me in a week or 2. Really???

This whole process started in the very first part of August and here it is early October and they STILL can't make a valued assessment. Steer clear of these jokers as they will waste your time and I have the emails to prove it. I asked for feedback and they have yet to respond.

Digital Success Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Dubuque, IA (US)).

Interview

What did you not like about your previous position?

I see you invested so much time into an advanced degree in a specific niche, why would you want to work for us?

What concerns us is the amount of time you have invested....

They are looking for an expert in the Social Sciences field who has professorial experience and can provide support in the field for their specific programs tailored to meet the needs of professors in this field. Yet, instead of asking open-ended questions, they set you up to fail. At one point they implied that my advanced degree was a waste. I respectfully disagreed and said that college was simply a means to an end: a successful critical thinker and problem-solver. After doing very well in the 2nd interview, I was told I would be brought in to job shadow to ensure it was a good fit. Two days later was told I was not selected for the position. Very unprofessional and dishonest.

Interview Questions

• You have invested so much tie and resources into your Master's. We don't see many of those. I can tell that you are dedicated to your field. What worries us is why you would want to work for us. In other words, what are you doing here?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

the process took 5 months. So slow. There were so many hurdles and the interview process was difficult. I was not happy at the end of the process. It showed me how things are done. It was scattered and difficult.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Maidenhead, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Set to do a presentation based on research on a territory that you would be covering. This required visiting the clients and getting feedback which was used for data as part of the presentation

Interview Questions

• Reasons why you would fit the role what you can bring to the role?   1 Answer

Coordinator Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2018.

Interview

The first interview was with the in-house recruiter, who set up a face-to-face meeting with the hiring manager during the following week. Three days after, the recruiter called back for a panel interview with the hiring manager and the department head scheduled the succeeding week. It took a little over a week for me to be informed that they eventually hired another person for the job.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitby, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Whitby, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

3 phone interviews; 1 in person; 1 demo/simulation; 1 in person panel. Friendly, but challenging. They seem to be hiring more from the SaaS/PaaS sector, as thier solution is increasingly digitally focused in NA.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Model/STAR method: "Tell us about a time when..."   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Chicago, IL (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a four-step process that began with a recruiter phone interview and ended with my driving to another state for the final in-person interview. Along the way, I closed each interview and was given positive feedback, leading me to believe I was going to receive an offer. I was asked to complete a writing project by traveling to different college campuses. No parking or travel expenses were reimbursed. After my final interview (during which the interviewer indicated I would be moving forward,) I heard from the recruiter that I had not received the position. I attempted to follow up with the recruiter and hiring manager and received no feedback, after weeks of conversation.

Interview Questions

• Name 10 traits possessed by a successful salesperson   3 Answers

Learning Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whitby, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Whitby, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

started with a telephone screener, if you passed that you next have a telephone interview with the hiring manager, in my case there were two locations hiring so both managers were on the call. I was then given an assignment to create a presentation based on specific customer situations. had to be recorded and submitted. then was brought in for a panel interview with the director, hiring manager, person i would be replacing, marketing and HR. lasted just over and a hour.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a fast paced environment with multiple priorities.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Don't waste your time with MHE. They care about your credentials and college degrees. Culture is low on their priority list.

Let me preface the review by saying everyone I met with, including the recruiter, was kind. The process, however, is questionable.

At the time of my interview, MHE had recently purchased a Danish startup who wrote an "eLearning" platform in a proprietary, functional language. The codebase of this platform was unworkable so MHE was in the process of a global rewrite to PHP. So in short, the job I was applying for was for a PHP developer.

First was a phone screen with the hiring manager. It was mostly behavioral except for 1 question. He asked "in what case would a hash table have zero collisions?" After hacking at an answer for 2 minutes I said "the table would have to be infinitely large"; that was the answer he was looking for so he invites me in for an on-site interview.

The first round of the on-site was a technical interview with the hiring manager. It was 45 minutes and it was the kind you read about on Medium blog posts. I was asked to write a function to compute the nth Fibonacci number. Easy, right? I wrote the recursive solution. Then, to show off, I wrote another, more efficient solution which uses an array to store previously computed values (i.e. memoization). I thought this would satisfy him but then he asked me to write another, more space-efficient solution which only uses 3 variables. I had never seen that solution before. I tried to work it out for for 10 minutes but then interviewer came over and wrote the solution for me. At this point I thought he would end the interview and walk me to the door.

I was wrong. He then asked me to express the function algebraically. I just stared at him blankly. I've never done this before, not even in college, and that's what I told him. He then wrote out a couple of Greek symbols and a fraction or 2.

Yeah.

The rest of the interview was behavioral. I met with 4 other people for at least 30 minutes a piece. Everyone liked me so I thought my charm would make up for my technical blunder.

Once again I was wrong. A week later I receive a rejection email with the reason that my "CS skills were a bit light, but everyone liked your attiude." I was kept at the office for hours when they knew they weren't making me an offer after 45 minutes. Everyone's time was wasted.

The recruiter told me that just after I left the office another candidate was brought in was given an offer on the spot.

6 months later I hear that everyone who interviewed me had quit or been fired and the person MHE hired over me was canned for poor performance. I'm not making this up.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to print the nth Fibonacci number.   Answer Question
    • Write a formula to describe a function which computes the nth Fibonacci number.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.