McGraw-Hill Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McGraw-Hill Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at McGraw-Hill

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Don't waste your time with MHE. They care about your credentials and college degrees. Culture is low on their priority list.

Let me preface the review by saying everyone I met with, including the recruiter, was kind. The process, however, is questionable.

At the time of my interview, MHE had recently purchased a Danish startup who wrote an "eLearning" platform in a proprietary, functional language. The codebase of this platform was unworkable so MHE was in the process of a global rewrite to PHP. So in short, the job I was applying for was for a PHP developer.

First was a phone screen with the hiring manager. It was mostly behavioral except for 1 question. He asked "in what case would a hash table have zero collisions?" After hacking at an answer for 2 minutes I said "the table would have to be infinitely large"; that was the answer he was looking for so he invites me in for an on-site interview.

The first round of the on-site was a technical interview with the hiring manager. It was 45 minutes and it was the kind you read about on Medium blog posts. I was asked to write a function to compute the nth Fibonacci number. Easy, right? I wrote the recursive solution. Then, to show off, I wrote another, more efficient solution which uses an array to store previously computed values (i.e. memoization). I thought this would satisfy him but then he asked me to write another, more space-efficient solution which only uses 3 variables. I had never seen that solution before. I tried to work it out for for 10 minutes but then interviewer came over and wrote the solution for me. At this point I thought he would end the interview and walk me to the door.

I was wrong. He then asked me to express the function algebraically. I just stared at him blankly. I've never done this before, not even in college, and that's what I told him. He then wrote out a couple of Greek symbols and a fraction or 2.

Yeah.

The rest of the interview was behavioral. I met with 4 other people for at least 30 minutes a piece. Everyone liked me so I thought my charm would make up for my technical blunder.

Once again I was wrong. A week later I receive a rejection email with the reason that my "CS skills were a bit light, but everyone liked your attiude." I was kept at the office for hours when they knew they weren't making me an offer after 45 minutes. Everyone's time was wasted.

The recruiter told me that just after I left the office another candidate was brought in was given an offer on the spot.

6 months later I hear that everyone who interviewed me had quit or been fired and the person MHE hired over me was canned for poor performance. I'm not making this up.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to print the nth Fibonacci number.   Answer Question
  • Write a formula to describe a function which computes the nth Fibonacci number.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McGraw-Hill

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at McGraw-Hill in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process was a complete chaos. Contacted by recruiter, then insisted on scheduling an on-site interview on a specific day. Pushed back several times and explain no availability on that day, but was innundated by emails, calls, voice mails etc. Once on-site interview was scheduled finally on my available time, they asked to schedule a phone interview. Basic Java questions on phone interview. No coding questions during on-site interview, no write some code on board nothing, all behavioral interviewing. Talked on conf call to a senior tech mgmt during on-site interview which complained about problems with higher sr. mgmt?? Got calls from recruiting after interview to move fwd, and thought we are entering offer negotiations. Wrong! I was scheduled to talk to HR after all the process who again asked me behavioral questions and desired salary, and I had to repeat myself again. I was asked to apply to position online after all this, and just got email to fill out background again! Serious disconnect between departments, and major flaws in hiring process points to an disorganized work culture.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screening. In person with team. Be sure to prepare yourself like u prepare before going to "Are you smarter than a 5th grader". Questions are very hypothetical. You will never use them in your day to day work . Requirement and interview does not correlate. All the best.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.