McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews: one on-campus (2 interviews) and one at the office (4 interviews). Each interview included a fit portion and a case study. Each interview was about 45 minutes long. The first round was EM/Associate level people interviewing and the 2nd round was AP/Partner level interviewing. After the first round, received a call saying I was moving on to the next round and they provided feedback as well. A couple hours after the 2nd round, got a call that I was going to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about leadership, team work, how you overcome challenges. Case study including quantitative and qualitative thinking.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

The entire process took 3 months after applying online. I came to know about an interview after 1.5 months. All interviews were covered in 1.5 months. I'm an experienced hire.

First round: Phone Screen - Straightforward case - 30 mins
    Second round: Onsite - 3 interviews - 15 min PEI, 30 - 45 mins case: 2 video conference, 1 in-person
    Final round: Onsite - 3 interviews - 2 interviews had 15 min PEI, 30 - 45 mins case, 1 interview was a conversation on different business problems and how to solve those. 2 video conference, 1 in-person

After every round, feedback was provided to improve my performance. First round interview was scheduled any day that you want in the evenings. Second and Final rounds were scheduled on Fridays. Second round decision was delivered on Monday. Final round decision was communicated 2 hours after the interview.

Preparation tips:
    a. Practice cases with a person either online or in-person. Initially quantity of cases is important, later quality and delivery of case is important
    b. Work on feedback received after each practice session
    c. Know your story in and out. You'll be grilled on one story in your PEI. Have multiple stories.
    d. Practice speaking concisely and clearly. Also practice listening and taking clear notes with the interviewer.
    e. Be friendly and relaxed on the interview day. Being nervous might make things worse. Take a good sleep before the interview.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

standard 2 rounds including a GMAT like written aptitude test. you clear aptitude to get to first on-campus interview. 2 separate interviewers interview you for 45 minutes each. If you clear first round you get to second round where 3 separate interviewers interview you for 45 minutes each. Usually second round is in one of the McKinsey offices. Each interview will have a case component and a behavioral component.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you used your leadership skills, what was the situation, what was your role and how did you impact the situation through your leadership?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

The APD interview process was long. Started with the PST + 2 coaching sessions, then 2 weeks later was second round with 2 interviews. Each interview was 15 min experience + 30 min case interview. Made it to final round (another 2 weeks later), which was 3 experience + case interviews with Partners. Throughout the process McK people were very kind and seemed excited and enthusiastic about my potential to join the firm. Seemed that it went well and was disappointed not to get an offer. Do not care for how they run the experience portion of the interview; it is all based on one past story they ask super detailed questions about.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a time you had to work through a disagreement within a team.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

For context: I interviewed during second year of b-school through on-grounds recruiting. I had one on-campus round that included two interviews with associates. I was invited to the final round at the office, which included three interviews with partners and associate partners.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you had to convince someone of your point of view.
      Q: Tell me how you've been entrepreneurial and developed something new.
      Q: Tell me about how you've overcome conflict.
      Q: How was your last engagement on a a team -- what were the characteristics you displayed?
      Each interview also included a case.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

I went through the experienced hire program as a non-MBA candidate with 5 years of working experience. There were three rounds involved- one PST and two interviews. The interview process was great. I really liked the mentorship spirit at the firm even though I didn't end up getting the offer. My problem was with Case Interviews which I had little prior experience.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, each rounds composed of at least two interviews. Case interviews. First round usually held on campus at schools (business schools, grad schools). Second round at hub cities. For me it was new york city and Toronto. Cases are mostly based on partner's previous work experience. THey will continuously push for an answer by asking "why do you think that's the case?" There is probably no right or wrong answer but they will try to test your logic and composure.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2012.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews. First a problem solving test and a group case. Second two interviews with associates or EMs. Third an all day on site interview with 6 interviews and dinner the night before.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

I was a 2015 APD candidate (meaning I'm finishing up a non-MBA advanced degree) in the Midwest US. I submitted my resume during the mid-summer recruiting season, then participated in three interview rounds. They flew us to Chicago for the first two rounds, then the final round interview was held at the specific office location that was considering hiring me. I was lucky to interview at my first-choice office location and was offered the job.
    First round was the hour-long PST and two group cases. My preparation was to take a few practice tests to get used to the time constraints and familiarize myself with case interviews by reading one of the standard case-prep books out there.
    Second round was two hour-long personal experience+case interviews, one-on-one with consultants. I spent the most time preparing for this round - did ~10 practice cases with peers and existing consultants, plus many more "case start' practices on my own. I also wrote out my top three personal stories and practiced aloud with others.
    Third round was three hour-long personal experience+case interviews, one-on-one with directors and partners. Prep for the third round was the same as the second but with focus on improving my weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to talk through your resume at the beginning of each session - I was asked to do this in 4 of the 5 one-on-one interviews.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

I had 6 interviews over two rounds. The first round had two interviews - one done by an EM and the other done by an office manager. The second round had 4 interviews with an EM, an AP, and two partners.

Interview Questions

• Case based interviews that asked you to structure and solve a specific business problem. You also had experience based questions.... (e.g. tell me about a time when you.....)   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.