McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Consultant Interview

Interview

first round is virtual with two associate/engagement manager, second round is fact to fact with partner or associate partner, both are behavioral and case combined, each round takes about two hours

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Interview

The first round interview has two interviewers and each of them will give a personal experience interview and case interview. The length of each interviewer is 50 minutes and PEI takes around 20 minutes and case interview takes another 30 minutes. I took the interview on Friday and got the decision on next Tuesday by phone.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The recruiter was very helpful in laying out the details of the interviews and scheduling the dates. The process was overall very straight forward with case interviews with personal questions with each interviewer

Consultant Interview

Interview

it was hard and the interviewer was very cold and unfriendly, casing was fine but they wanted more specific but overarching anwsers very confusing over all, it was hard and the interviewer was very cold and unfriendly, casing was fine but they wanted more specific but overarching anwsers very confusing over all

Consultant Interview

Interview

Arduous process (PhD candidate). Incredibly consuming, but McKinsey invests a lot of time and effort in preparing you to interview. The interview day was exciting but overwhelming -- I spoke with two current consultants (one PhD hire and one MBA hire).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had an interpersonal conflict in a professional setting and how you dealt with said conflict.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

All the stuff about "getting to know you" and "seeing how you think and solve problems" is all absolute nonsense. There are 100,000 people applying for the exact same job, "McKinsey Consultant". Every step of the process is designed to eliminate you. You better hope everything you say in the case interview matches their cheat sheet...word for word! One small deviation, you're out. Part your hair the wrong way, you're out. Your interviewer is just in a bad mood, you're out. All your books and hundreds of hours of case practice will be for nothing and you will have thrown away months (or more) of your life.

The problem McKinsey has is that they have the absolute worst hiring process imaginable. But since they are drawing from a pool of the best applicants in the world (your competition btw), they still inevitably end up with some smart people at the end and then declare "aha, see it works!" But even senior people I've talked to in the firm say it's more luck than anything... you're just as well off buying a lottery ticket.

Also, if you don't get an offer (which statistically speaking is a near certainty), the "feedback" you'll get is absolute garbage. Whether it's an HR person or the person you interviewed with, they aren't going to give you any actual feedback. They are going to tell you whatever boilerplate crap answer that allows them to "check the box" and get off of the phone.

But if you're like the 100s of thousands that have come before, you probably already stopped reading this. You're certain that you've prepared more, and all the videos and that consultant you talked to at the recruiting event convinced you that you are special and have a "good shot". And all that may be true. But if the wind blows the wrong way on your interview day, guess what...you won't get the offer. And you'll have spent months developing a very specific skill (case interviews) that is absolutely useless in the real world.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

After a resume review, I completed a case interview screening. I was recommended for round one interviews, but my recruiter canceled the interview and stopped responding to all emails. I was already ~1.5 months into the process. This was extremely unprofessional and reflects poorly on the company.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you consider in this problem?   1 Answer

McKinsey & Company Response

21 Sep 2018 – Recruiting Expert

We're sorry to hear about this lack of communication from our team - it does not reflect our values nor our usual processes. If there are others you connected with at McKinsey who might be able to help you get closure on what happened in the process, please get in touch with them to ask for more information.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Interviewed in first round after campus recruiting. Two in-person case-style interviews, 45mins each. 30 min case, 15 min personal experience. Received feedback within a week. One interviewer was very disorganized and dismissive, the other was appropriate. Less personal than other firms, seemed like interviews were a dreaded task for them, recruiter was disinterested. Overall I had a better interview experience at other firms, glad I didn't move past first round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me some things about yourself that are not on your resume.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
    mmmk

Interview Questions

• How many pigs do you need in China?   7 Answers
    • How many tea kettles do you need in Canada?   3 Answers

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter I was referred to online. We discussed the job qualifications and my interest. The recruiter decided to have me meet at the New York office for a coffee chat and potential interview. Coffee chat went well and then met with senior consultants for a round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is my interest in metals & mining consulting?
      What is my opinion on projection of nickel prices for first quarter 2018?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.