McKinsey & Company Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Data Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.2

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

Case interviews at McKinsey are really easy. The thing that weeds people out is if they give the most obvious answer to the question. Don't overthink it.

pick good examples for the personal experience interview. people often mess this up

Interview Questions

• Personal experience questions - tell me about a time when
    Case Interview   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter after applying on the McKinsey website. The first round was phone interview and it was quite general--why consulting, why McKinsey etc. The second round was a knowledge interview where they asked questions specific to the industry (Skype). The third round was a case interview on site, that had both case and fit portions. The cases were slightly different from business cases as they gave you a dataset and asked you to figure out how you would go about solving the business problem

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation when someone disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Talk about your background, ask a few non-tech questions. Mainly focus on your resume, more interest in previous working experience. Some question about "what you will do" in working as personality test.

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

i had 3 phone calls before onsite. Two tech screens and one behavioral interview. The Technique interview is just SQL questions, which is kind of touch. Even if I cant give them exactly the right query, they are still okay if I just talked about my approach.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between primary key and unique key   3 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

It's a 1st round interview. The basic structure of the interview follows behavior question + business case. The business case is more interviewer-led structure. Also, because the job requires professional statistics and programming knowledge, the business case involves more statistics modeling knowledge, which is different from business case interview for management consulting. The overall process is quite fun.

Interview Questions

• what's the most challenging work for you? and how do you solve it   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online through McKinsey website. The process took 1 day. I was invited to Waltham for an on-site interview which included meeting with 3 senior people. The interviews had pretty standard structures, including behavioral questions and case questions. Since I applied for the data analyst job, the case interviews are more like modelling orientated which is different from the standard case interview. McKinsey people are super smart and nice. All the travelling costs are reimbursable.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I had a technical interview for the position of Data Analysis.
    Overall, I felt the interview process was quite unprofessional.
    First, I logged in on their portal 5 mins before my slot time and I could hear the interview of another candidate.
    Second, the audio quality was poor and sometimes I could barely hear the voice.
    Third, the interviewer had to stop a couple of time and went away from the microphone, pretty sure somebody else was making her laugh.

Interview Questions

• General questions about machine learning techniques and how to solve a hypothetical case study.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana).

Interview

Was contacted by McKinsey recruiter from gurgaon office . Initial 15 min of call with recruiter followed by 1 hour of technical questions. Then another round with hiring manager and technical lead which included both behavioural and technical questions. Then final round with consultant in London.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2017.

Interview

Personal interview: Normal hr questions and they tested skills on ms excel
    Telephonic interview with regional head in which she asked a guesstimate question.
    1 hour Video conferencing with an expert based in Singapore office.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the experience you had conflict with your teammate.   Answer Question
    • How many buses run on Gurgaon road in one day?   1 Answer
    • How many Indian CEOs are there in Fortune 500 companies outside India?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wrocław (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Wrocław (Poland)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for marketing analytics. The whole interview process took about 2.5 month and additional 3 month to prepare work permit and visa documents.

The company contacted me after 3-4 weeks after the application.
    The series of interview took about 1 month ( the process could be longer, because I always choose the earliest interview slot). I received a preliminary feedback (that the company planed to make a job offer) in a week after the final interview. After 3 weeks I received the actual detailed and signed job offer, which I accepted.

The whole interview process consisted of 4 interview + 1 test.

1 stage: "screening" interview - interview with the recruiter. This stage is a presentation. The recruiter asked me about my education and training. but he focused on my actual experience. Specifically, skills that I used and projects that I did for each employer. Recruiter what to know my specialization, scope and depth of my skills, degree of my experience with computer software and way of communication with clients/boss.

After the interview I had a couple of days to make an SHL test (not PST). The company was pleased with my scores.

2 interview. "Technical interview" - with an actual, experienced analyst. The interview focused on specific "technical" skills of data analysis. I was asked about an example of an analytical project and my approach to it. Second, I was asked about experience with SQL (I was asked about differences between specific queries - left joint and right joint). Then I was asked a lot about regression analysis (heteroskedasticity, tests to check the quality of the regression, analysis of the residues, etc). Finally, I was asked how I would approach a problem and was to estimate an answer: If we have 50 people, how many people are expected to have the same birthday (probability that 2 people have the same birthday). I did a lot of mistakes during the interview and didn't know a lot, but I always had some approach to the task and had at least, some knowledge of each question.

3 interview - classic case interview. The interview with a manager, who manages the development of regional offices around the world. First, I had to present myself. Then, I was asked about an example of a challenging situation from my experience and how I approached it. Then was a case. Case about changes in the product portfolio to increase revenue.1 question - create an "issue tree"/structure of the problem.
    2. I was give a list with statistics about 2 companies working in 3 segments. I had 3 minutes to analyse "this market" and give my conclusions. I estimated all the ratios, but the interviewer wanted exact calculations (my technique was too slow). 3 question - I was given numbers about an idea(innovation) of the company and I had to estimate its viability. No more questions, I was given feedback about better ways to communicate data and present ideas.

4 interview. More similar to the technical interview than to a case interview. With a manager, responsible for the development of analysts. I was give 3 sets of data and was asked to calculate standard deviations. I was asked how I would use that information/what was that information important. Then I was asked to compare these values and my approach to comparison. The interviewer expected that I would come up with an idea of "normalizing" date (turning all values to a standardized scale - e.g. in %), but I fail. However, I was often using similar process in my work, so I could explain the process when I was asked directly. At the end I able to ask questions. Actually, the content of my questions was a part of the interview: my questions told an interviewer a lot about me.

Interview Questions

• Ways to estimate quality of a regression, why should we normalize data   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.