McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

2,360 Interview Reviews

3.8

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

I received a pre-screening interview from a experienced hire recruiter. This is the first step in the MK process if you are not applying to the company via a school program. The recruiter contacts you to schedule a phone "conversation". Really, they are looking for whether you (1) Are a good fit for the firm (2) Have a good reason for why you want to go into management consulting and finally (3) Have a great reason for why MK. The conversation lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to about 1 hour and most of the conversation centers around your experiences. Specific questions include: (1) describing a time you were a leader (2) describe a time you had to overcome your teams objections on your plan, and where you successful?

The recruiter also takes you through the interview process and describes the case interviews that will come up if you get chosen to advance to the next round. Say the recruiter really likes you, he'll move you to the next round but the ultimate decision of whether you get to the next round rests on the office you're applying to. They take a look at your resume vs. their needs and decide whether they want you this year. The recruiter also gives you an "example" of a case interview which is basically an estimation question to gauge whether you a familiar with the case interview process. He says that your answer does not hurt in anyway - I'm not sure if that's true or not but I think it always looks better that you know what your talking about and have been practicing either way.

So, this is the basic phone interview from MK.

Interview Questions

• A case interview estimation question: How would you determine the weight of a jumbo jet.   3 Answers

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

The whole process went basically as described on the company's website. First round - assessment test. Pass that, and second round of 1:1 interviews with associate consultants going over cases and experience/behavioral interviews. Third round is the same as second, but with partners. Very thorough and professional. Alas, I didn't receive an offer after the third round.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding experience are intense. They seem to be looking for very specific skill set of leadership, problem solving, critical thinking and creativity.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied to the Insight Program; got the phone interview invitation; rejected but got 1st round interview; rejected after 1st round interview.

Interview Questions

• The problem solving test (PST) isn't very difficult. But don't be caught off guard in the case workshop session.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

The 1st round for Advanced degree holders begin with a one-hour written test (practice tests can be found in McKinsey site) and proceed with two hours of break out sessions where a small group practices cases with consultants. The key of passing the written test is really about managing your time effectively. I first tried questions that do not seem to require heavy math or thinking and then went back to the missing questions. Though I wans't so sure of the result, somehow I passed the interview and got an invitation for the 2nd round.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

PST test for one hour, then two group breakouts.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

2nd round interview at Silicon Valley office. The office looks like a typical Cali- 2 storey building, less impressive than its Los Angeles office. The interview is composed of two 50mins interviews with two associates (all with PhD background, ~2years of experience). All interviewers are well trained so they tend to explain everything before you go deep into the behavior part and case solving part.

Interview Questions

• They are very very structured in the way they bring up behavior questions - they want all the details.
      One interviewer is pretty cool. You can't read anything from his poker face.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

APD candidate. Applied for Insight Engineering program via resume drop and 30 minute phone interview, which includes a case. Being selected to attend Insight gives an automatic interview for full time position.

Interview Questions

• A phone company is looking to expand profitability by introducing either a low-end or a high-end handset. What should they do?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jersey City, NJ (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

I am an APD and initially applied to the Insight program. Was not selected for the Insight, but they invited me for the first-round interview in the fall.
    First round at McKinsey is a 1-hour problem-solving test (PST), with 26 multiple choice questions testing quantitative or qualitative understanding of a business case (usually there are 3 cases in one test). The main difficulty is the time limit. I found useful to read questions first, and then skim the discussion before for relevant information - saves a lot of time. McKinsey website has 3 practice tests, and a few more can be found on the internet - practice them beforehand and you'll likely do well (I was getting 21 out of 26 on my practice tests). PST is followed by 2 one-hour breakout sessions -we were divided into groups of 4 and moderated by a McKinsey Associate. It was a fun exercise, and quite useful. They say it's not evaluative, but opinions differ.
    A couple of days after the 1st round I got an email saying that I passed. One nice thing about McKinsey recruiting is the amount of feedback they give. I was connected with two consultants who gave me feedback on my performance and answered my questions.
    Second round was about a week later, also in NY office, and consisted of 2 1-hour interviews with an Associate and an Engagement Manager. First 5 mins - introduction, then 15 mins of personal experience (tell me about a time you had to lead a team etc.). They ask very detailed questions about each situation. Then ~40 min case - very structured and with a lot of exhibits/ calculations. I thought that I didn't do a perfect job on one of the cases, but later got a call saying that I passed, and more feedback.
    Final round was in NJ office - 3 one-hour interviews with principals scheduled throughout the day. Structure is the same as 2nd round. Cases were actually less math-heavy. All PE questions were the same - most challenging leadership situation. So prepare different stories. I felt that I did not perform consistently well during these interviews, and a few days later they called and said I didn't get an offer. It was still a very useful experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected - regular McKinsey style cases and PE questions   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

I was a APD (Advanced Professional Degree) candidate. The interview consisted of three rounds:

Round 1: You are invited to the McKinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) if you pass the resume screen. The test was difficult but doable if you practice with the sample tests online as well as 3rd-party simulation tests. After the PST we had two non-evaluative sessions of case practice. The decision to move you to the next round is based almost entirely on passing the PST.

Round 2: Face-to-face interview with junior consultants. Two sessions, each covering a Personal Experience and a Case Study.

Round 3: Similar to Round 2. Three sessions with PE + Case, but with more senior people (Partners, Associate Principals).

Overall, I found the interview process intense but enjoyable. The interviewers whom I had encountered were all very respectful and pleasant to talk to. Given the reputation of the Firm, the bar for performance was definitely high. The best advice I can give is to be structured, both with the Personal Experience part and the Case Study part. You will get a lot of support and useful information between the different rounds; heed the information and prepare wisely. In addition, enjoy the process. Have the mindset of going to a nice seminar where people argue about ideas. That mindset certainly helped me relax and appear confident.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you consider in addressing this client's issues?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You get a letter with the terms of offer and then you can sign it to accept the offer. Little room for negotiation.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Interview process (case studies and behavioral interview) is well-documented and you get prepped for it. My advice, take some time to do some real "soul-searching" around what excites and motivates you - then be honest about it.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you didn't work come to work here?   1 Answer