McKinsey & Company Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Find jobs for Junior Research Analyst

McKinsey & Company Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and the initial call went as expected: she described the role, asked me about my background, and answered questions I had about the company and the open rec. She also informed me of McKinsey's case interview style and how I could prepare for it since I have never had that type of interview before. Preparation methods included practice cases and helpful tips on McKinsey's website, a 60 minute non-evaluative case coaching session, a 30 minute evaluated coaching session, and 2 hour WebEx session. Beyond these, I also had one 60 minute call with the hiring manager, a 60 minute video interview with another researcher (30 minutes for a case and 30 for minutes for standard interview questions) within the team, and a 60 minute standard interview (also video) with an individual who was not in the team.

The recruiter was great - knowledgable about the position and highly responsive in her communication. However, my experience with some of the other individuals was more negative.

Of the six total calls I had, two were almost 10 minutes late to the call and did not acknowledge or apologize for it. I also had two interviews run long on time. I happen to be a very punctual person and do not have a high tolerance for lateness, particularly during an interview. Beyond this, it was also difficult to schedule interviews. I have a full time job and did not want to endanger that by skirting my responsibilities and skipping important meetings I had already set up. You would think that, since it was a recruiter who reached out to me, and not vice versa, they would be respectful of that. However, the interview scheduler made it very clear that their schedules were more important and were not flexible...even after they had to reschedule one of my interviews. Additionally, the scheduler accidentally mixed me up with another candidate and emailed me that I had another interview that had started 12 minutes ago, which nearly gave me a heart attack until I took a closer look at the name on the meeting invitation.

During my 60 minute video interviews, I was interrupted a number of times because I wasn't providing the response that the interviewers were looking for. This is not why I rated it a negative experience - each company has its own technique - it's just a fact that I think others may find useful. At one point, the researcher within the team who was interviewing me essentially belittled the fact that all I did to overcome a challenge was "work really hard to meet the deadline". Again, this is not why I rated the process negatively. I think it would be helpful for potential candidates to know what type of personalities they should prepare for when interviewing with the company. If somewhat abrasive interviewers were the only issue, then I would simply consider it a challenging process. However, the fact that interviewers were aloof about the fact that they were late, in conjunction with the painstaking process of scheduling with an inflexible team, made this a negative interview experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Name the biggest obstacle you've ever had in your career, and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

After a phone interview with HR, a numerical reasoning test, and a verbal reasoning test, I went if for an interview. I had two interviewers, the first was a team member and the second was the hiring manager. The team member asked me basic behavioral questions along with questions about my background in research, nothing out of the ordinary. The hiring manager administered the case study. The case was nothing beyond what the company has told you to prepare for and is on the website, I did not find it particularly difficult. The interview process and content itself was not the reason for my negative review, though. Before my first interview started, I had the overwhelming feeling that the interviewer did not like me for whatever reason. It was apparent in his tone with me, his body language, and the questions he asked me. I felt incredibly uncomfortable. I have been through multiple consulting research interviews with other companies and have never felt this way before, regardless of the outcome of the interview. Further, the feedback I received from HR solidified this feeling, the feedback made from this interviewer made no sense, he said doubted my knowledge about a particular subject, but asked no questions about this knowledge during the interview. The feedback from the other interviewer was well received and I completely understood it. Besides the fact that this left me with a bad taste in my mouth, I was appreciative that HR did call me personally to tell me the outcome of my interviews. Not many companies do that these days, it was a nice personal touch.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to do calculations during the case study   1 Answer

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in November 2010.

Interview

Resume submission online + 1 written test + 2 rounds of one-on-one case interviews + 1 group discussion + 1 behavioral interview with manager + 1 behavioral/case interview with Partner

Interview Questions

• Read a 100-paged case in 30 min and presented as a team   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

Interview

Consisted of 2 rounds of interviews. First one included PST test, followed by 3 one-on-one interviews. Research Analyst, Expert and Senior Manager. 30 minutes behavioural, 30 minutes cases.

Called me back for a second round, Pretty much the same process... Screwed up the final case with senior manager.

Overal process is long and demanding. Little or no break in between interviews (5-6 hours), Friendly people.

Interview Questions

• A case about regulation of PV panels, what recommendations you would make towards the future.   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

Interview

After you get through the background check you are being invited for the tests. For me it was the hardest part in the hiring process as they are very binary and tricky. Reading through exemplary tests on McKinsey site can help you a lot.
    After that you are being invited on at least 2 rounds of interviews during which you speak with senior members of the firm. Each interview consists of 2 parts - 1st is speaking about your personal experience. They want you to recall events from the past during which you were stressed, extremely focused and so on. 2nd part is solving a case. Usually you are missing some data and need to either ask for it or assume and ask if the assumption is correct. Preparation to the interview is also available on McKinsey websites. You should definitely look into it as well as it depicts the real process really accurately.
    After each round of interviews you are immediately informed whether you passed or not and get invited for the next round of interviews.

My 2 advices would be:
    1) For test - read question really thoroughly.
    2) For interviews - LISTEN. Do not blab about how awesome you are when you are asked a direct question.

Interview Questions

• Recall an event from your past when you had to exhibit outstanding leadership.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana) in January 2010.

Interview

Multiple Interview rounds and very thorough process. Consisted of a group discussion, assessment on skills (English, Basic math and Logical Reasoning), followed by 3 rounds of face to face interviews and a video conference and telephone call with international people.

Negotiation

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2011.

Interview

Through a personal contact within the firm, my CV and cover letter were sent to a relevant person inside of the organization (a current practice leader and former office manager where I was applying to work at)

After the review of my application, I was called for interviews that would follow the classic McK structure minus one round, since I was interviewing for an intern position:
    2 rounds, the FIRST consisting of a "problem solving test" and 3 one-to-one with would be colleagues (typical 15min chatter testing leadership, drive and responsibility + 30-40 min business case).
    the SECOND via videoconf consisting of 2 one-to-ones with more senior people

Interview Questions

• Nothing in particular. Just know you CV inside out and be cool headed. MAke it is a two way interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negociation from my part, accepted the offer as I received it.

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Singapore (Singapore)) in June 2012.

Interview

There will be a problem solving test for initial screening, and followed by a few rounds of interviews.

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in May 2011.

Interview

1st round: written test (problem solving test);
    2nd round: interviewed by local team leader;
    3rd round: interviewed by PD manager & R&I manager;
    4th round: interviewed by global research manager;
    5th round: interviewed by local Partner.

Interview Questions

• Written test and case study are the most difficult session   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2015.

Interview

Very professional on written test offer. prepare a perfect CV is crucial as a first round. It was taken 2 weeks to get a response, then got a phone call to double-check if you still are interested in this position. If so, received a conformational mail for a written test.

Interview Questions

• About analytical and math questions related to different types of companies.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.