McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

Two very well structured interviews with two engagement managers.

Behavioral part first - they dug deep in the details of a specific experience and sought out implications. Structure mattered as much as creativity in thinking about the bigger picture (both personally and for the other people and organizations involved in the professional experience I was discussing).

Case study interviews were very interesting - one PE-type investment project in a hypothetical water utility company in a new city; required both attention to detail ( eg calculating water volumes in cubic meters and translating it in other units to solve problem) and big picture creativity (eg political risk) the other was more market segmentation & revenue growth driven, more quantitative.

Fantastic experience overall, despite making a number of mistakes in the quant side of the case study that lead to not advancing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team and faced a disagreement and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Met with 3 different people, highly structured, walked through two cases with each person. The cases were relatively easy, they were more interested in thought process than actual answers. Shortly after (a day or two) I got a call moving on to the next round. Decided consulting wasn't the best choice for me at this moment, everyone was very pleasant each step of the way.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Very structured process. Overall transparent. Candidate needs to do a fair amount of research and preparation. Case interviews are a matter of practice. The personal fit section of the interviews cannot be improvised.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Case interviews and fit interviews. Generally 2 rounds for the summer associate position with a total of 5 interviews. Each interview will have a case and a fit portion, the fit portion is about 20 minutes and the case is about 25 minutes.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Application, aptitude test, in office interview with several consultants doing case studies and answering personality and work history questions. For the case studies you are given data in the form of a prompt and data and you must then answer questions based on that information. You have a consultant buddy who answers questions about the company and your role and helps you prepare for the interviews.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, one is a fit interview where typical interview questions are asked. The other is a typical management consulting case interview, where you work through a case step by step with the interviewer. It is relatively casual; but preparation with good case frameworks goes a very long way to making this far more comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Provide a story which demonstrates learning from failure   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online and received a rejection email a few weeks later. Then, a McK recruiter reached out to retract the rejection and ask if I could come in for a half day interview (with less than a week of notice). This happened to a handful of other applicants who interviewed on the same day as me - needless to say, we were underwhelmed by the recruitment team.

Because I hadn't taken the GMAT yet, I spent an hour or so taking their proprietary standardized test (they have examples online). Then I did case interviews with two different engagement managers.

Interview Questions

• Case example - imagine you are advising a small nation in a developing country on how to improve education. You can either fund teacher-development programs, or create a tax rebate for all parents who send their children to school. How would you evaluate these options and what would you recommend?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, process was formal and professional, HR wants to make sure they are hiring the best and the brightest.

I would have been what they call an experienced hire, meaning not someone straight out of undergrad or business school. I think the process for experienced hires is a bit more vague, and it seems like most people who land a job here get it through a campus recruiting program.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Interview

Had a friend refer me, did the pre-test and passed, did not make it through the first round of case interviews. I was in the middle of grad school and did not put in the amount of time necessary to practice for the case studies. A couple of my friends who made it to the final round and/or got offers essentially put their graduate studies on hold for a few weeks to solely focus on case prep--to truly be successful, that type of commitment is necessary.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was that difficult or unexpected--it's just important to be really familiar with various cases.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.