McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

Very detailed, multi-stage application with various steps including psychometric testing, case studies etc and intensive days with multiple meetings per day. Initial phone interview to screen candidates, followed by 1:1 personal interview with case studies, followed by meeting principals / partners and then subsequent job offer.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through x case study example and explain your appraoch   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Very fair, extensive with 3 rounds: phone screen w/ case, in-person 1st round, final round. Phone screen with case was fairly standard except it was a little difficult over the phone. The in-person interview involved a virtual interview followed by an in-person interview. Both interviewers were professional, although the more junior interviewer was very difficult to understand given his thick accent and he had difficulty understanding me.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in August 2011.

Interview

Consisted of an HR interview with a recruiter which went very well. The recruiter asked basic questions about me and my professional background. The next round was a phone interview with a consultant. It was a case study. The questions was relatively simple. Unfortunately my quantitative speed was not up to snuff.

Interview Questions

• The question was about an Australian beer company that had seen a loss in profits over a five year period. I was called in to help solve their profitability issue.   1 Answer

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2007.

Interview

Multiple rounds of case-based interviews. Each round was comprised of 2-5 one-on-one interviews with current McKinsey consultants, and each interview consisted of both fit/culture and business case questions.

With only a few exceptions, the case questions were based on actual client projects the consultants worked on. The cases ranged from telecom CRM strategy to ERP implementation valuation; all were tough in that the interviewers asked penetrating questions.

Interview Questions

• If a newspaper wrote an article about your leadership style, what would the headline be?   1 Answer
    • Business case: a client company installed an ERP system 3 years ago, spending a cumulative $100M to do so. The CEO asks you, was this a financially sound investment?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First, I did an online test (mostly math problems), then I was selected for an interview day. We did a test and a case study - it was about a museum that wanted to generate additional revenues. Then I had an interview with a senior manager from CEE. He did not ask me technical questions. Just behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background? About your home country.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Initial CV screen followed by offer to do problem-solving test. Passed PST and then offered interview consisting of 2 x hour long interviews with two separate consultants. Each interview had a personal experience question and case study.

Interview Questions

• Personal experience questions asked about leadership and dealing with conflict resolution.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens (Greece)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Athens (Greece)) in April 2014.

Interview

It was difficult but very useful i remember some parts of the test and it was very useful into my future career coordination, tiwas difficult according to my skills then

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview

First screen interview was great! Very cordial recruiter and very professional. The second round "case study" interview was bizarre. I was spot on with my quantitative analysis and other aspects of the case study. However, the interviewer played the "break him down" down game with me. As a former attorney I was not easily thrown off by the interviewer's attempts to get under my skin. And the more calm I remained, the more abrasive the interviewer became. Needless to say, despite my accuracy and professional demeanor, it was a no go according to her. Can't say I am terribly disappointed.

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Interview

Day 0: Attend campus recruiting session. Submit application to APD program (Advance Professional Degree- ie everything above a bachelors but not MBA).
    Day 7(ish): Show up to local McKinsey office and take written test. 40-some questions in 40 minutes. All are case-based, lots of reading, no one ever finishes the whole thing. Then do three "practice" cases in teams of four with different consultants.
    Day 8-9: Hear back and schedule 2nd round. Get contacted by "buddy" who answers question on process and lifestyle.
    Day 12: Get contacted by partner in Cleveland office, get asked to consider putting Cleveland as top pick (hint, hint: it'll make you more likely to get an offer).
    Day 13: Put San Francisco as top offer. Attend case workshop on campus.
    Day 18(or so): 2nd round interview in local office. 3-4 case interviews 1-on-1 with different consultants/associates. Great conversation, interesting people.
    Day 18-19: Hear back and schedule 3rd round in San Francisco.
    Day 30?: Fly to SF, have dinner with non-interviewing consultants (most new and APD) in private room at restaurant. Everyone's friendly, helpful and encouraging.
    Day 31(?): 3 1-on-1 with associates and a partner. Flub third interview, make math interview in 2nd one, nail 1st one. Lunch with other candidates (half are really cool and nice, half are giant tools).
    Day 32: Fly home, get a bad call.

Overall I was impressed with the professionalism and courtesy shown to me at every stage. Frankly, as my first real interview I had no expectations of advancing and was happy to get a free trip to San Francisco, talk to some smart people, and learn a lot about business. Throw in the invaluable interview-mentoring (that helped me nail my interviews at a competing firm) and I see no downside to at least applying.

A few things stood out, especially after interviewing elsewhere. First, the almost OCD attention to detail. In an actual case, there's getting things right and there's getting things precise. McK has a reputation for automatically knocking candidates that make a quant error oof any magnitude. In my case, maybe it was enough (I multiplied by 2/3 instead of 3/2); but ultimately other firms are more concerned about seeing the nature of the problem and coming up with creative solutions. I clearly was good at math in all my other interviews, but that one mistake cost me. When the interviewer called to relay the bad news, he told me the vote was 2-to-1 for but that the math error cost me the spot, then he said it was a ridiculous reason to not hire me.

Second, the endless march of bureaucracy in hiring. I mean look at that schedule. An in-office test, practice sessions, three rounds of interviews. It takes a ton of time and puts some strain on you while waiting/prepping. McK needs to work on streamlining their process: at my current firm students take the test online, do the first round within a week, and then three days later do an in-office final with a decision by that night. Maybe it's the cache of McK, but for a firm in the business of finding efficiency, the process could use some.

Interview Questions

• What should a mid-tier European coffee firm do with the emergence of low-cost and luxury brands?   2 Answers

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

The interview process was enjoyable. The consultants were friendly, professional, however, I do not think they were particularly looking to hire at the time. The office seemed to be in the midst of several transitions at that time, and so perhaps staff recruitment was not high on the priorities. The consultants and I connected afterward and they are very nice people.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.