McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

it was long, it took about 6 months. I had 3 interviews in total of 1 hour each. Some people get 5+ interviews. In the past they used to do a initial test with GMAT-like questions, that is no longer the case in the San Jose office.

Interview Questions

• they asked me to talk about previous experiences and had a case study   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

It was a long process. I first spoke with the recruiter, then a phone interview with a team member, and then three case/PEI interviews. Overall, it was a good experience to go through.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)).

Interview

I was contacted by McKinsey's HR after being selected via campus portal.

The initial HR representative I spoke with scheduled a 1:1 phone interview with another recruiter - this recruiter failed to call during the scheduled time. She reached out and asked to reschedule after about 40 minutes after the call was supposed to take place. I responded and asked what times/dates would be good for her - she never responded. I reached out again, no response. I then reached out to the initial HR representative I spoke with, and after a day, she put me back in touch with the same second HR representative. That HR representative then emailed me and asked what dates/times I'd be available to interview, I responded, then I heard nothing back. I sent a follow up - no response.

This was disappointing and bit unprofessional. If you're pursuing a career in research, I would advise you to look somewhere else.

McKinsey & Company Response

11 Jul 2018 – Recruiting Expert

Thanks for your feedback - we'll share the details with our research recruiting team in Waltham.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Four step process
    1. Initial phone screen with HR recruiter. 30 minutes long. I was asked to explain why I was interested in this position and my prior professional experience.
    2. Two 45 minute phone interviews with a member of the team and the hiring manager. Again, explain background and why interested in the position.
    3. Two one-hour in-person interviews. One hour was with the hiring manager and the second hour was with a member of the team. First 15 mins were mostly fit questions and why I was interested in the position. Final 45 mins were spent on case studies. PREPARE for the case interviews! I practiced about 20 case study interviews prior to my real interview.
    4. Final round was a 30 minute phone interview with the Senior Partner of the practice. This part of the interview was very relaxed and felt more like a "rubber-stamp". The Senior Partner really wanted to know specifically why I was interested in the position and where I wanted my career to progress into.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you dealt with a difficult colleague. How did you work with the person and what steps did you take to improve the relationship?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone introduction, followed by first round interviews, which consisted of 3 sections of behavioral type questions and a case study.
    Final round interviews had the same format with senior McKinsey personnel, who had the expectation that you would get better through each round.
    There is an emphasis on how successful you are at the case study. Be sure to be organized and thorough, taking care to explain any thought process aloud.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Tell me about a time you failed?
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a team member?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Applied online without expecting any answer back. After all, it's McKinsey! Got an invitation to a resume screening a month later and then called in to take the PST at McKinsey office in NY. PST is difficult, especially if you haven't done any math in awhile (like me). Somehow I passed, got invited to first round of interviews. 3 interviews one hour each. Interviewers are extremely nice and helps you to be relaxed. They'll ask you about your interests, but don't get TOO relaxed. Expect random case study questions based on your interests. Case study is not just with one person, but expect to do a case study for all 3. Didn't make it to the final round, but still a great experience! Extremely respectable firm and you can tell that people here are extremely intelligent and will motivate and challenge you.

Interview Questions

• Determine the bell curve for the music records industry in the next 8 years   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Questions

• what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions

• An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Got one phone interview from the team leader. It took one month after I applied it online. The person asked about some programing skills and also asked about experience on the resume.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

The first round of interview consisted of two parts: one 15-minute excel test and one 15-minute interview with two senior research analysts from their waltham office. Overall, the interview process was very pleasant. Interviewers were nice and they were really interested in knowing more the candidate instead of merely asking questions they have prepared in advance

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a piece of constructive advice you have received   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiable

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.