McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

it was long, it took about 6 months. I had 3 interviews in total of 1 hour each. Some people get 5+ interviews. In the past they used to do a initial test with GMAT-like questions, that is no longer the case in the San Jose office.

Interview Questions

• they asked me to talk about previous experiences and had a case study   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

It was a long process. I first spoke with the recruiter, then a phone interview with a team member, and then three case/PEI interviews. Overall, it was a good experience to go through.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)).

Interview

I was contacted by McKinsey's HR after being selected via campus portal.

The initial HR representative I spoke with scheduled a 1:1 phone interview with another recruiter - this recruiter failed to call during the scheduled time. She reached out and asked to reschedule after about 40 minutes after the call was supposed to take place. I responded and asked what times/dates would be good for her - she never responded. I reached out again, no response. I then reached out to the initial HR representative I spoke with, and after a day, she put me back in touch with the same second HR representative. That HR representative then emailed me and asked what dates/times I'd be available to interview, I responded, then I heard nothing back. I sent a follow up - no response.

This was disappointing and bit unprofessional. If you're pursuing a career in research, I would advise you to look somewhere else.

McKinsey & Company Response

11 Jul 2018 – Recruiting Expert

Thanks for your feedback - we'll share the details with our research recruiting team in Waltham.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Four step process
    1. Initial phone screen with HR recruiter. 30 minutes long. I was asked to explain why I was interested in this position and my prior professional experience.
    2. Two 45 minute phone interviews with a member of the team and the hiring manager. Again, explain background and why interested in the position.
    3. Two one-hour in-person interviews. One hour was with the hiring manager and the second hour was with a member of the team. First 15 mins were mostly fit questions and why I was interested in the position. Final 45 mins were spent on case studies. PREPARE for the case interviews! I practiced about 20 case study interviews prior to my real interview.
    4. Final round was a 30 minute phone interview with the Senior Partner of the practice. This part of the interview was very relaxed and felt more like a "rubber-stamp". The Senior Partner really wanted to know specifically why I was interested in the position and where I wanted my career to progress into.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you dealt with a difficult colleague. How did you work with the person and what steps did you take to improve the relationship?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

After applying online,got an call from McKinsey HR for telephonic interview and asked basic personal experience questions of past job. More about what were the exact responsibilities of mine of past jobs.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2016.

Interview

Was called for a phone screen, and was asked basic questions about salary requirements, why I wanted to work for the company, why I wanted to pursue the role.

The next step was an in person interview in the Boston area. It was 3 separate interviews and one informal chat. It was a 3.5 hour process. All the interviews were case interviews and had a quantitative component. Despite not getting an offer, the people were friendly and very accommodating and it was a pleasant experience. When notifying me of their decision, the HR rep was also very forthcoming in interview feedback for me as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online at the McKinsey site for the NAKC generalist research analyst. Received email asking to set up a phone interview with HR. Quick 15 mins reviewing my resume, asking salary requirements; HR made sure that I knew that this is NOT a consulting role and asking me to go to my nearest McKinsey office to take the McKinsey PST. PST is tough but you are given a study guide and there are 3 practice tests on the McKinsey site to help you prepare.

After passing the PST you are invited to a first round interview that consists of interviewing with 3 researchers of various levels. Very structured process...1. deep dive into your resume 2. specific question asked regarding some experience/leadership/ambiguous situation and you have to walk through STAR method style. Details are KEY!. followed by a short typical strategy consulting case.

After passing round 1, invited to round 2 (final round)....similar to round 1 except with managerial level people.

Process dragged a bit but was kept in the loop so communication was great during the process. You will face roughly 6 cases and 6 resume deep-dives.

Overall a pretty thorough process and seems similar to the consulting side except the bar maybe a bit lower but it is still high.

Negatives: Location very unlike other McK offices. Feels like you are an 'after-thought.

Positives: if you want to move to the consulting side bad enough, you can do it through research if you excel and put in the hours. Free drinks/snacks. Young and diverse office though the feel is definitely different than a McKinsey consulting location (people and atmosphere wise).

Interview Questions

• Know your resume, experiences, how to do arithmetic/math with paper/pencil under pressure. The cases from a strategy point of view are not too tough.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

The first round of interview consisted of two parts: one 15-minute excel test and one 15-minute interview with two senior research analysts from their waltham office. Overall, the interview process was very pleasant. Interviewers were nice and they were really interested in knowing more the candidate instead of merely asking questions they have prepared in advance

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a piece of constructive advice you have received   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone introduction, followed by first round interviews, which consisted of 3 sections of behavioral type questions and a case study.
    Final round interviews had the same format with senior McKinsey personnel, who had the expectation that you would get better through each round.
    There is an emphasis on how successful you are at the case study. Be sure to be organized and thorough, taking care to explain any thought process aloud.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Tell me about a time you failed?
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a team member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA (US)) in August 2011.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone screen after applying online. HR person was great on phone & in person. Asked to come in to take the "test" - case studies - fairly sure I didn't do well on them but was invited back. Met more employees. All lovely. Each gave case studies - difficult but I was on the mark more or less with each one. Third visit - difficult questions/case studies, met several more people in different positions. One interviewer was - I thought - unprofessional or autistic and just lacking the normal ability to pick up on social cues. I think may have been trying to be intimidating (?). May have been told to do this - not sure. Not very familiar with how they conduct interviews. After several visits, many hours of interviews, they let me know that they weren't moving forward - via email - not impressed. Remember - the interview goes both ways - in any economy. You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you.

Interview Questions

• You're on a plane..no access to information source...size a particular market in the x geography.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.