MemSQL Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

MemSQL Interview Questions

Interviews at MemSQL

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Worst experience ever. All the interviewer told me that they were satisfied with the answer and in the end , reject. And you have no clue on what went wrong.
    Totally shocked. Dont waste time here.

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MemSQL.

Interview

Take home project, multiple phone interviews before the on-site, one day of multiple on-site interviews plus some remote interviews, and a phone interview after the on-site. They're personable and timely throughout the process. The take home project is reasonable and gives you the opportunity to excel within the recommended amount of time (which itself is a reasonable ask - none of that "should only take you 2-3 hours when it's really a weekend hackathon project" nonsense). The phone interviews are mostly behavioral but not STAR based. The on-sites are mostly problem-solving based.

Database design, DS&A, debugging, dev ops skills, and SQL all come in handy at different points but the interview process really seems to be testing for problem solving and culture more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• Several variations of "Here's a situation meant to be unfamiliar to you, let's work through it together to see how you tackle different types of problems".   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MemSQL (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

I was contacted with a request for a phone screen a few months after I initially applied online. The format of the interview was thoroughly detailed -- diving into a C codebase and making changes -- so I was able to brush up on my C and prepare accordingly. I learned I passed very shortly after the interview concluded and scheduled two further phone interviews.

The format of the next two interviews was industry standard technical LeetCode/HackerRank questions (med-hard). In one of the interviews, I solved the problem given in 30 min and was told to seek the optimal space complexity solution, which was tricky. The interviewer had a laissez-faire attitude and wasn't interactive, which caused some stress. Lacking direction, I may have talked in circles.

The second interviewer was significantly more interactive and conversational; instead of a single large problem, we walked through a series of a problem with escalating complexity of functionality.

I did not pass the second set of phone interviews and make it to the onsite. They did not provide any feedback. I found it strange that they implemented a "diving into a real codebase" interview to test practical software engineering ability and then fell back on the abstract "reverse K-long segments of a linked list"- type questions. Other companies like Stripe focus more consistently on what they are looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MemSQL (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

They begin by sending you a take-home exam and give you 72 hours to complete it, but advise that it should only take two hours. The exam was recreating a landing page and flow from a Figma file.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MemSQL (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Applied online. Received a code challenge from a recruiter at memSQL. The code challenge was to build a front end UI in vanilla JS/HTML/CSS (No third party libraries allowed) based on wireframes they sent on Figma. Gave me 72 hours to complete. I received a rejection email 2 days after submitting. No reasons why the submission was not accepted. Just wish they had the courtesy to point out what they didn't like after someone puts in time and effort to build something for them.

Interview Questions

• They sent a Figma wireframe for a simple UI they wanted built in vanilla JS and HTML/CSS. No third party libraries allowed.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MemSQL.

Interview

One phone call with recruiter (general logistics information), one phone call with project lead (discussing general skills and experience), two technical interviews (not too difficult - mainly RDBMS based and algorithms)

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MemSQL in May 2019.

Interview

I was first contacted by the recruiter, who was very friendly, and then moved on to the phone screen with the hiring manager. One of the first questions he asked me was why I wanted to join MemSQL and whether or not I applied directly or the recruiter found me first. After finding out that it was the recruiter who reached out to me first, he paused and, I could tell from his tone, he totally lost interest in talking to me further. It was a very uncomfortable call.

Post Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MemSQL (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Three rounds of phone call interviews, a take-home assessment, and then an on-site visit with the team. One with a recruiter, one with a team manager, and another with another manager.

Talent Acquisition Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MemSQL (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

My interview process with MemSQL was a great experience. It was, by far, the best candidate experience I've ever had as a job seeker.

The process itself is pretty standard (consisting of about 3 or 4 interviews), but the people conducting the interviews make the experience extremely enjoyable. The whole experience felt like a two-way street. The People Ops team genuinely wants you to make the right decision for you, and they don't pressure you into taking a job that isn't right for you. They understand that it's in nobody's best interest to hire someone who won't be happy in the MemSQL environment. This all being said, this sort of dynamic made it really easy for me to ask questions and express any concerns I had (which were few).

The onsite interview sealed the deal for me - I knew I found the right place for me. I was warmly greeted and given a tour of their absolutely beautiful office. They went above and beyond in little touches that made me feel at home, including a cute little goody bag of goodies to get me through the onsite (which lasted around 4 hours).

All in all, MemSQL cares a lot about candidate experience and it really shows. The candidate experience is great, as is the employee experience. Absolutely zero complaints here, couldn't be happier!

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you're looking for in the next company you work with.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MemSQL (New York, NY (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

they are very nice and easy going and they are very flexible , and they put their people first .

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.