Microsoft Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a reviewer, she set up a 1 hour Phone interview with a manager interested in my profile.
The interview went well, few basic stats questions (Central Limit Theorem - How to determine if a distribution is normal).

Invited for the interview loop on-site a couple of days after. Everything went well 6 interviews 2 technical (no coding interview). One of the interviewer was actually very aggressive (he was outside the team); had the impression he was an ex-engineer who studied ML and pretended to know everything, all the other guys were very nice. No terribly difficult questions

Interview Questions

• What would you do to summarize a twitter feed?   1 Answer
  • You're about to get on a plane to Seattle. You want to know if you should bring an umbrella. You call 3 random friends of yours who live there and ask each independently if it's raining. Each of your friends has a 2/3 chance of telling you the truth and a 1/3 chance of messing with you by lying. All 3 friends tell you that "Yes" it is raining. What is the probability that it's actually raining in Seattle?   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2016.

Interview

Applied via university recruiting. Interview was on-campus for half an hour. Interviewer seemed rushed, was not very helpful in answering the questions that I had. Very little feedback on the answers I was given -- just moved on to the next question without acknowledging my responses.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you worked on and how you made a difference.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was well organized by the recruiters and people are quite punctual.
    However, read below for the funny thing. The need to raise the bar of their interview process. Not very difficult.

Interview Questions

• All interviewers asked about my projects. So i had to tell the exact same thing 5 times . It is such a waste of time. I am not sure what are they trying to assess . It seems like the hiring process is like a random coin toss. They didn't ask even a single question apart from my project.

Also, to me it appears Microsoft has so many people who have been with the company for 15+years. May be there are really smart but they didn't appear to be energetic. My only advice would be not all teams are good at microsoft.
      Few teams i interiviewed in past had really smart and energetic people.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

First round was a phone interview, mainly about the resume ,and asked some questions about l1 norm and l2 norm. Second round was a on-site interview. There were 4 back to back algorithm interviews.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2016.

Interview

A phone call interview. we talked about my research and my latest papers. There is still one more interview on site. No technical or coding questions. But, they carefully reviewed my papers and asked challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• They just asked about my PhD research   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)).

Interview

I had two phone screens with data scientists currently at Microsoft. I found the questions of average difficulty but after completing all the questions in both interviews I was not brought in for an onsite. I had the feeling that specific methods for answering the questions was desired.

Interview Questions

• Discuss how to randomly select a sample from a product user population.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

3 interviews and another optional interview
    It was very easy for me. I passed through the 4th interview as well but did not get the offer since I did not have enough experience but they were impressed with my interview performance.

Interview Questions

• They were very basic statistical questions   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interviewer was a software developer and didn't have knowledge of statistics. In fact she didn't know the difference between noise and error. She asked me how to deal with the noise but she meant error.

Interview Questions

• How do you implement autocomplete?   3 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter. One round of phone technical screening, very easy statistical questions and no coding questions...not even SQL or algorithm questions. Onsite interviews after two weeks, most of the time are chatting and introduce you their work and ask you, as a data scientist, what things you help in their projects?

I agree with other reviews and am very doubtful how they can select a qualified candidate based on the easy interview questions?

Interview Questions

• How do you detect if a new observation is outlier? What is bias-variance trade off ?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2017.

Interview

3 interviews plus a lunch interview. Interviewers were nice. They were interested in the mathematical side of modeling, statistics, and experimentation with large-scale data. The interviewers try to figure out how you think and if you would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.