Microsoft Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One phone interview first, go through resume and one case study. Four rounds onsite, very basic prob and stats questions, but tons of case study. And case study focus on Microsoft's product. It looks like I'm applying for product manager instead of data scientist.

Interview Questions

• Go through resume and many case study.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

The position was phd data science position at Microsoft. I applied online got a phone call at the end of December about the datasets I have worked with and some behavioral questions. A week later I invited to have an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• There were 4 interview back to back, questions about my project, some data frame questions, some linked list questions   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

I got the recruitment information from one professor's email. I applied online and got back in one week. Scheduled a 30 min phone interview in 2 weeks. Then I waited for 3 weeks and got decline email from the recruiter. If it goes well, you would be contacted in around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the obstacles in your acedamic experience?   1 Answer
    • How would you explain deep learning to a 9 year old?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1 hour phone screen with general DS/ML questions followed with full day on site loop. 5 1 hour interviews in total. I didn't really know what to expect going in and got a pretty wide range of questions. Topics involved data structures & algos, experimentation, dealing with dirty data, & lots of statistics/machine learning questions. Overall everyone was really friendly sharp & smart. I also had a few curveball questions thrown my way where the interviewer was trying to see if they could catch me off guard.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between type 1 and type 2 error.   1 Answer
    • Can you explain what regularization is. What's the difference between L1/L2 regularization   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

30 min phone interview + onsite 45min *4. Get a phone interview through website (calculate simple math questions, I think acceptance is based on correctness and efficiency, this part is not hard), the phone interview asked about behavior questions. Onsite interview do not involve technical questions.

Interview Questions

• what you have learnt in a failure   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Online application with current employee referral didn't work and some how got the second chance for the phone screening with recruiter, but recruiter didn't ask me the relevant questions. For example, they should have asked how would you interpret this data instead of how to calculate a+b.

Interview Questions

• Very hard stats questions and theory which is not relevant   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online and referred by friend. It's a 30 mins interview. They called in on 3 mins later than the expected time, and finished in 25 mins. No response after that, So I believe I failed.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

HR is always missing. I directly contacted with Engineers. Engineers are super friendly. I have a tech phone interview. Then Onsite. My case is very strange. I met 7 persons in one day even though I am a new grad. It's really tough.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Sunnyvale, CA (US)).

Interview

I was invited for onsite interview for data scientist position at Sunnyvale office
    The first thing I noticed was unfriendly office managers, and lack of diversity in the team and office and no women in onsite interviewers! The interviewers were not able to ask questions related to my specialty and aligned with the position which was computer vision based but rather in their area of expertise mainly nlp and which was not what I applied for or I had in my resume, A couple of interviewers were texting alot with their phones during the interview and barely looking at me when I was explaining! I found One of them very disrespectful leaving me during lunch interview to talk to one of his friends the last interviewer arrived 15 min late in the meeting room They repeated the same questions over and over mainly on statistics and probabilities and writing formula of regression in three of the interviews very disappointing experience and unprofessional! I felt immediately after the interview that would not like to join such team ...

Interview Questions

• Write logloss and regression formula repeated in three interviews
      What is the probability of two consecutive heads when tossing a coin,
      Nlp questions and embedding which was outside of my resume   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

engineer team is going to hire data scientist, so the whole process is more engineer focus. The overall process is good, but never get a follow up after the interview.

Interview Questions

• sorting array question/find the 5th largest element in an array/conditional probability   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.