Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.3

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was really interesting interview process. There were 5 conversations in 1x1 format plus 1 extra, so 6 total. Mostly we talked about my experience and around it. Each interviewer asked certain area of my experience in deep details. So you have to refresh you memory.

Interview Questions

• Reverse string.
    Implement ntoa.
    Get number of ones in a M bit variable.
    Design and implement message passing for multiprocessor system (were given some specific hardware restrictions)
    Design and implement malloc/free for some specific requirements.
    Design embedded RTOS and implement scheduler, task switching and interrupt handler.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2015.

Interview

Unlike other comparable companies, Microsoft seems to do extra work for finding out the right interviewer who can correctly evaluate and investigate your capability. Although I couldn't make it, the interview with Microsoft was one of the most pleasant interviews. The interviewer showed a lot of interest in and asked about my past works.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked all the work that I described in my resume.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Short phone conversation with recruiter/HR, which lead to a Skype-based technical screening/interview. After passing the technical screen, I was flown out to Seattle for on-site interviews. Two one-on-one interviews in the morning, followed by a lunch-based "team-fit" interview, then an afternoon interview with the hiring manager. Each interview was roughly an hour long, with a short break between each.

Interview Questions

• Given a particular (naive) run-length compression algorithm. How can you improve the compression ratio of this algorithm without affecting certain properties (streaming, performance, etc.). Discuss.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Microsoft's hiring is one of more organized of the pack. However, it definitely helps if your case is being pushed by the hiring manager, so if you can, do maintain contact with them.
    Interviews follow the typical structure for the industry:
    1. Initial phone screen with the recruiter.
    2. Phone Tech screen with a member of the engineering team.
    3. Follow up call with recruiter to identify groups you'd be interested in.
    4. On-site face-to-face interviews. Typically 4 (maybe 5 if you are doing a 'split' loop, or you're one of the more borderline cases)

Overall, in onsite interview experience has improved dramatically over the years, for intervewees. Gone is the focus on brain teasers that left people numbed and shivering. Its more practical now.
    Which means - a more mixed bag of apples tends to get in, since its not just about how smart you are. I have mixed feelings about how this evolved.

Interview Questions

• Questions are actually not that hard. There are definitely other tech companies that will massage your brains much more. :) Most of the questions seem to come from the standard set of 150 or so questions that have been doing the rounds for several years. There are several books published with these, so being familiar with those will give you a high probability of success.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Its pretty standard structure. At best, you may get some more stock grants.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Normal phone screening first and then the full interview loop. Completed three rounds which comprises of all algorithms on linked list and binary search tree in the first two interviews and then in the third interview about the design question.

Interview Questions

• Question on linked list and binary search tree.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had an informational and informal interview, so it wasn't the usual MS interview loop. I was asked linked list question, BST questions, and code quality questions. This was a situation where I was checking out a position internally.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Telephonic round -
    Call by hiring manager - basic background check - questions on project

Interview day -
    first HR round, next 3 tech rounds, and then lunch interview.
    If there are any interviews post lunch - that means you've cleared the first rounds.

You're lucky if the hiring manager meets you.

After the interview -
    This process is pathetic - they might even care to return back to the candidate - but if after one week you dont hear from recruiter - consider yourself rejected.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is difficult - it all depends on the performance in tech rounds   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview loop with 5-6 people. Several design and implementation questions.Design questions revolve around features and problem solving. Implementation questions revolve around data structures. You will be asked the same type of questions over and over again.

Interview Questions

• Finding an edit distance between two strings   1 Answer

Negotiation

Just remember to play hardball. Microsoft is not a technical leader in any space right now. So, you can make them feel unwanted for you to get a great deal.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

It was brutal; 10 hours of detailed programming questions, alternating with going to the whiteboard. Lots of C++ code chock full of errors, some obvious; others subtle

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no need to negotiate; offer was very competitive

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

First contacted by a Microsoft recruiter to vetify that I qualify for the advertized job. I git contacted by email by the recruiter a week later to set up a technical interview. Tge interview was online where you need to solve real time a question the interviewer asked