Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.3

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Andover, MA (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter - high level + coding assignment to be submitted with application (write a linked list class with tests, show how to get 5th from the last item of a singly linked list in one iteration).
Full day interviews with managers, developers - whiteboard coding - Binary Search Trees, Thread safety, Design Patterns, discussions on web service/general networking protocols, etc.

Interview Questions

• Write an iterative method (on the whiteboard) to provide an in-oder traversal of a binary search tree.   Answer Question
  • Write a method (on the whiteboard) to reverse a singly linked list.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was fixed - Signing bonus was negotiable

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in August 2010.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a third-party recruiter working for Microsoft about a position in the xbox team. Not expecting much I went along with the process and spoke the recruiter and then another one. Finally I was setup with a phone-screen by the hiring manager which was pretty straightforward with a few questions about basic algorithms etc. After which I was asked to fly in to Redmond at Microsoft's expense which seemed like a sin to turn down. Flew upto Seattle from California the day before and was put up in a pretty nice 4-star place in Redmond. Microsoft goes all out in taking care of its candidates, very professional indeed. The whole next day was spent in the Microsoft campus with various 1-on-1 meetings starting with a new Recruiter and then every one else was either an engineer or a Manager. Each interview seemed to focus on a different type of questioning including Algorithms, coding, white-boarding, transactions, process, deployment etc. It was a very well rounded interview process and did not focus on just 1 kind of questioning like other companies. Finished the day feeling pretty confident about my performance and to my surprise got a call from the recruiter the very same night with a verbal offer !

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The main consideration in my case was the move from California to Seattle. After a long but mainly cordial back and forth with the recruiter settled on the number involving relocation. They were inflexible on the base-pay but were open to negotiate on everything else. Microsoft offers a sweet relo package to almost everyone and I was just shuffling numbers within their package. But in the end agreed on a number for the temp-housing and cash payout to cover expenses. We had to also rent out a house in CA as a result so had to account for that too. But in the end given the fact that Washington has no state income tax and the lower cost of living I believe I got a decent bump in my overall compensation compared to what I was making in the Bay Area.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

Interview took the whole day. 5 guys interrogating for 1 hour each. Plus hiring manager at the end.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree of nodes, design naming conventions for each node so if a message comes to the root node, it will get routed to the desired node. Implement routing logic for each node.   Answer Question
    • Given a set of rectangles of fixed heights and widths, write an application that will fit as many of them as possible into a squire of the specified size.   Answer Question

Got better one.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

I was originally interviewed for a team where afterthe full loop of 6 interviews, the hiring manager ran into a headcount problem. She talked to another team in the same org and they contacted me. The hiring manager gave me general overview and invited me to come over to Redmond. I had another full loop of five interviews - the last one with the General Manager who told me he will make me an offer. When I returned to the hotel, the reruiter called me and told me everything was good.

Questions were all about problem solving and writing code on the white board. There were also questions on past work experiences, challenges faced, etc.

Interview Questions

• The questions are meant to be confidential for obvious reasons. In general, they covered topics like BSTs, Graphs, String manipulation, multi-threading synchronization & collections.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered a level lesser than what I expected. I was able to negotiate it with the hiring manager.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

It takes 2 weeks, the hiring process is standard, nothing out of ordinary. They flew me up there from bay area in sf ,ca. The questions mainly are technical question, which is pretty simple. Most of managers dont remember some of the stuff themselves. But be prepare with some of ur projects and technical terms and process.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2009.

Interview

They plan 3 interviews. If they go well, another three may be scheduled. Else, the candidate is rejected.

I got stumped on a coding question to write all possible string combinations that can be generated by pressing a variable number of cell phone keys. My head is still reeling. Th rest of the questions were on experience and were fairly easy. The coding question was the deal breaker.

Interview Questions

• Print all all possible string combinations from entering a variable number of cell phone keys.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2009.

Interview

The interview was mostly centered around designing a system, algorithms and also some puzzles. The interview was not too difficult for me. One of the puzzles was the "aha" type that I could not solve without hints from the interviewer. I would say the interviews were just like typical Microsoft or any other major tech company interviews

Interview Questions

• One of the questions was around designing a system where the data would not fit memory of one system and one had to build a very performant lookup on the data   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

It is a day long process at MS. You typically meet the recruiter, who sends you to take a MS shuttle to the building where the team you are interviewing with resides.

Microsof groups are spread across many buildings in a large area. They have nice shuttles to take employees/visitors from one building to the next.

You typically have multiple people meet you during the day. You are taken from one interviewer's office to the next. There will lot of discussions involving your previous job listed on the resume and also related to your interests. Every interviewer will ask a coding question if you are interviewing for development/test.

Linked lists, queues, binary trees are very common questions.
    One of the questions I was asked was to implement a queue using 2 stacks.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April 2008.

Interview

Very standard interview process for technical software engineering jobs. Started off with resume submission, then a couple phone interviews followed by an on-campus interview loop. The on-campus interview loop mostly consisted of whiteboard interview coding and design questions with lots of smaller followup questions. Overall, not a terribly difficult interview, but they do ask you a lot of challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• There were a couple difficult sorting type questions that required some deep thought. However, the coding wasn't difficult once an algorithm was identified.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bengaluru) in February 2019.

Interview

I was asked at 8:30 for a hiring event. Had the first round from 8:45am, it was about Data Structure and problem solving. I solved the problems and further variants, thought it went excellent. Then had to wait almost an hour before the second interviewer came. He himself said he wasn't prepared and it was a last minute. Then he proceeded to ask a math related coding question. I couldn't remember the property so I needed help, then it turned out the actual algorithm/coding needed was almost trivial. Again I waited an hour without any information and then called up the recruiter and was asked to go for lunch. After lunch, I had a Systems Design round. We started from generic problem to more designs. I thought it went well. The interviewer did say the they didn't have feedback from 2nd round yet, only 1st round. After this, I waited a few rounds and was told the feedback wasn't positive and I am pretty sure it was the feedback from 2nd round and I just had to waste a few hours more due to lack of coordination on the recruiters' part.

I should mention that the interviewees were polite and nice to talk to.