Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 5 Mar 2019

3.3

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume directly to the hiring manager. After one round of phone interview with hiring manager, I got invited to the onsite interview. In the beginning of the day, HR gave me a list of only three interviewers, all principal engineers. It was very friendly, mostly about my previous industry and PhD work and then some domain specific questions to test my knowledge in different corners in this field. After three rounds, if they don't like you, they may let you go immediately. For me, I have extra four more rounds. One is with a younger engineer who asked more about programming questions followed by another very senior person who asked pretty advanced questions in the field. And then one round with hiring manger who is very technical and asked questions from high level to low level in the field. The last round was a long long time interview with manager's manager. He basically introduced their projects and talk generally to me in different areas. It lasted two and half hours. I finished at 7:00PM.

Negotiation

HR called after interview and tried to figure out how much I want. I said I want standard senior software development engineer package or slightly better. They gave me an offer that I am satisfied with. I accepted without negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

It was brutal; 10 hours of detailed programming questions, alternating with going to the whiteboard. Lots of C++ code chock full of errors, some obvious; others subtle

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no need to negotiate; offer was very competitive

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

I had an interview with 6 different people for 2 different position after 2 phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• What's the test process that ensures that your code is good to go?   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)).

Interview

On site from internal referral

Interview Questions

• A lot of behavioral questions. Technical and coding questions are focused on CS fundamentals.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

It takes 2 weeks, the hiring process is standard, nothing out of ordinary. They flew me up there from bay area in sf ,ca. The questions mainly are technical question, which is pretty simple. Most of managers dont remember some of the stuff themselves. But be prepare with some of ur projects and technical terms and process.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

First contacted by a Microsoft recruiter to vetify that I qualify for the advertized job. I git contacted by email by the recruiter a week later to set up a technical interview. Tge interview was online where you need to solve real time a question the interviewer asked

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview loop with 5-6 people. Several design and implementation questions.Design questions revolve around features and problem solving. Implementation questions revolve around data structures. You will be asked the same type of questions over and over again.

Interview Questions

• Finding an edit distance between two strings   1 Answer

Negotiation

Just remember to play hardball. Microsoft is not a technical leader in any space right now. So, you can make them feel unwanted for you to get a great deal.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Telephonic round -
    Call by hiring manager - basic background check - questions on project

Interview day -
    first HR round, next 3 tech rounds, and then lunch interview.
    If there are any interviews post lunch - that means you've cleared the first rounds.

You're lucky if the hiring manager meets you.

After the interview -
    This process is pathetic - they might even care to return back to the candidate - but if after one week you dont hear from recruiter - consider yourself rejected.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is difficult - it all depends on the performance in tech rounds   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had an informational and informal interview, so it wasn't the usual MS interview loop. I was asked linked list question, BST questions, and code quality questions. This was a situation where I was checking out a position internally.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Interview

Interview is typically on Data structures and algorithms. It would generally consist of 5 rounds and 2 rounds comprise designs. Questions will be mostly on linked lists , trees and some questions will be on scalability

Interview Questions

• Find a shortest path in a maze from top left to bottom right   1 Answer