Microsoft Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)).

Interview

Be prepared for a full day of interviews, anywhere from 5-8 hours if you get through it all. Lots of behavioral and hypothetical questions.

Negotiation

I had industry experience, and although the initial offer was pretty solid, I countered for some additional base salary, which was accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted a resume online very early, did not hear back for six months. I was contacted for a phone interview for a similar position from what I indicated. Within a week I heard that I was invited for an on-site interview, which lasted half a day. The night before we attended a semi-formal dinner to meet other candidates and current employees. They got us excited about the position calmed our nerves.

The next day we split into two groups--morning and afternoon interviews. I felt very at ease with the interviewers and did not feel like I was being judged. They looked for customer service experience, how you handle stress, your expectation, your interest in the position, and how strong you are at your strengths.

Many companies try to dig into your knowledge and find your weaknesses--this was not one of those interviews. I was asked some technical questions, but many more behavioral. Many questions were asked about how I felt about certain aspects of the position, or experiences I had that prepared me for it. I'm sure my technical skills helped me, but communication was by far the most important component of the interview. There were no brain teasers.

These are very nice people who are looking for great coworkers. I left feeling excited about Microsoft and the work I'd hopefully be doing. Everybody left in a good mood.

The recruiter said they'd make a decision within a week. Many people heard back after two or three, though.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer didn't want to work with you because you're a woman?   3 Answers
    • class A(){
      int a = 2
      B.changeVal(a);

class B(){
      int changeVal(int a){
      a = 4;
      return a;
      }

What is the value of 'a' after we call changeVal?
      What mistake did I make in writing the code?   2 Answers
    • Why Microsoft?   1 Answer
    • Tell me something about yourself that you can't put on your resume   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since there is a rush to inform other candidates and offers are competitive, there is little room for negotiation.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fargo, ND (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Fargo, ND (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. I conducted a phone interview about a week later, I thought I did pretty bad, but I got an email saying they wanted to fly me out to Fargo, ND for a final interview.

I was flown out, and Microsoft paid for everything, rental, flight, hotel, food, etc... First night they picked up all of us (about 30) and took us for dinner, there was an open bar. The next day the group was split between morning and evening interviews. I had 4 Interviews, each between 30-45 mins. All were behavioral type interviews. The interviewers were really nice. Some people had technical interviews as well. Ranging from SQL to Programming. We were fed lunch and snacks.

I was called the next day and told that I wasn't being given an offer.

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interviewed on my campus first for a TAM/AC position. Went apparently well enough to fly down to Charlotte for an all-day interview process! Four Interviews, all about you personally and what you can contribute to Microsoft. I didn't get that position actually but they saw fit for me to be a Support Engineer. I then did three phone interviews and the next day was offered the position. It was my dream job so naturally I accepted!

Interview Questions

• If you had to design an efficient house, how would you do it?   1 Answer

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

A few weeks after applying online, I received an email about scheduling a call. It lasted around 30-40 minutes, which was straight forward where we spoke more about the job, as well as my own history. A week later, I received an invitation for an on site interview that I was flown in for about 2-3 weeks later. The dinner the night before really helped me relaxed and I ended up hitting it off with a lot of other candidates who received offers as well, that I'm still close to.

The morning of the interview were 4 back to back 45 minute interviewers. I would say that this was average difficulty. The obvious answer is to do your homework as much as possible about the company and other Support Engineering roles, and be sure to understand the troubleshooting process.

Afterwards we were given lunch, and the other half of candidates came in for the afternoon session, and we were taken back to the hotel. Within 9 hours, I received an email saying that MIcrosoft would love to have me... and 9 hours is considered late in their books! That was a huge plus to me, by the time I had gotten off my return flight, I already had my results.

Interview Questions

• Mostly scenario based questions. The most difficult question was about how I would deal with a case if I had no one around to help me, and I was pushed to answer the question with the number of resources decreasing   Answer Question

Negotiation

According to the HR rep, there was no negotiation for the new graduate positions

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There were four rounds of interviews. There were hundreds of candidates that were scheduled for the interviews. It was all planned perfectly by Microsoft. There were different interviews for every candidate who came in the same time slot. The four rounds of interviews had different areas:
    1. technical
    2. analytical
    3. resume
    4.hr
    All rounds were 1:1. Everyone in the panel and the building was dressed casually.

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2015.

Interview

Fairly easy phone screen interview. Asked me about my passion for technology, why Microsoft, and some pretty common behavioral questions. Had a brainteaser at the end.

Unfortunately, I apparently had a requiter that never contacted me and there was a huge miscommunication in what role I had actually applied for that made it seem like I was very unprepared/not organized.

Really wish the mysterious requiter would have emailed me so I would have known that the position I was interviewing for was different than the one I applied for online.

Or that it would have specified somewhere in the email to set up the phone screen.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

The experience was nice, they served breakfast and lunch, overall awesome experience. You meet up in a lobby with things to do such as an XBone and a giant touch sreen TV with fruit ninja, and some music. You hang out until the interviewees come to get you.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online in late September, mid October had a phone interview and then got an email a couple weeks later for a final interview. All in all took about a month and a half, very transparent with the whole process and answering questions

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous experiences and about how products worked, nothing really technical or confusing   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

I received an email about setting up a phone interview for the Support Engineer and Premier Field Engineer positions. The recruiter had received my resume from my school. I had the phone interview, which lasted about 30 minutes. It was behavioral, and some questions about the work I've done and what's on my resume. A few weeks later I was notified that I had made it to final rounds. I was told that about 1,500 applications had been received for this position. About 50 people made it to final rounds, and then about half of them would receive offers. They flew me out to Charlotte, NC for final rounds. There was a pre-night dinner with all the other candidates and all the interviewers, and the next day I had four 45 minute interviews with some of the interviewers I had met the night before. The interviewers are all in the position (or have been in the position) that we were interviewing for. The next business day I got a call and was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral - you really can't prepare for the interviews. They just want to get a sense of how you think and how you approach a problem. Interviewers are very friendly and want you to do well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable offer. Its a good one though.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.