Microsoft Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Microsoft Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There were four rounds of interviews. There were hundreds of candidates that were scheduled for the interviews. It was all planned perfectly by Microsoft. There were different interviews for every candidate who came in the same time slot. The four rounds of interviews had different areas:
1. technical
2. analytical
3. resume
4.hr
All rounds were 1:1. Everyone in the panel and the building was dressed casually.

Interview Questions

• Describe job experiences and challenges   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

I have found this job on one of the job portal. Applied there and got a call from the vendor company the next day. The process was very smooth, took about 4-5 days. This is a Contract position.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my profile, previous project experience and questions based on my resume.
      mostly on troubleshooting.
      Eg: What If any of your web server goes down, or any site is unavailable what will you do.
      What kind of automation did you do.
      What monitoring tools did you use.
      When did you find most difficult situation in your previous job and what did you do.
      And some general ITIL process Questions.   1 Answer

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2015.

Interview

Fairly easy phone screen interview. Asked me about my passion for technology, why Microsoft, and some pretty common behavioral questions. Had a brainteaser at the end.

Unfortunately, I apparently had a requiter that never contacted me and there was a huge miscommunication in what role I had actually applied for that made it seem like I was very unprepared/not organized.

Really wish the mysterious requiter would have emailed me so I would have known that the position I was interviewing for was different than the one I applied for online.

Or that it would have specified somewhere in the email to set up the phone screen.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

I received an email about setting up a phone interview for the Support Engineer and Premier Field Engineer positions. The recruiter had received my resume from my school. I had the phone interview, which lasted about 30 minutes. It was behavioral, and some questions about the work I've done and what's on my resume. A few weeks later I was notified that I had made it to final rounds. I was told that about 1,500 applications had been received for this position. About 50 people made it to final rounds, and then about half of them would receive offers. They flew me out to Charlotte, NC for final rounds. There was a pre-night dinner with all the other candidates and all the interviewers, and the next day I had four 45 minute interviews with some of the interviewers I had met the night before. The interviewers are all in the position (or have been in the position) that we were interviewing for. The next business day I got a call and was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral - you really can't prepare for the interviews. They just want to get a sense of how you think and how you approach a problem. Interviewers are very friendly and want you to do well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable offer. Its a good one though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Relatively laid back and conversational for a high-profile company like Microsoft. They will fly you out to one of 4 locations (Redmond, Charlotte, Dallas, or Fargo) for a pre-event dinner the night before at a nice steakhouse. The food was great, but unfortunately you spend most of your time getting to know the other candidates and Microsoft employees so there isn't too much time to enjoy the buffet style food. This was very helpful and eased my nerves as everyone at Microsoft was friendly and easy to speak with. Left dinner around 9, went back to hotel to glance over my resume one last time and get a full night sleep before needing to be at the office for 4 hours of interviews at 7:30 the next morning.

You are interviewing for the Support Engineer OR Premier Field Engineer role, and it is my understanding that Microsoft will determine which role you would be a better fit for and extend you an offer for that role. From my understanding, the main difference is that Support Engineers need more technical depth while PFE's need more technical breadth and spend the majority of their working hours traveling and visiting customers on site.

As for the interview - Microsoft is genuinely interested in finding out if you will be a good fit for the company, so relax and be yourself. The 3 month MACH training program all PFE and SE new hires go through is apparently pretty tech-intensive and very thorough, so the interview seemed to be less technical and more behavioral as Microsoft believes it can teach any intelligent, driven individual how to succeed in the role.

Interview Questions

• In reflecting upon your college career, name one way you failed, one way you succeeded, and one thing you did differently than others.   Answer Question
    • "Give me an example of some work you have done in *insert coding language here?" - only relevant if you have specifically listed that language on your resume. They won't ask you about a skill/language you don't claim to know.   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online in late September, mid October had a phone interview and then got an email a couple weeks later for a final interview. All in all took about a month and a half, very transparent with the whole process and answering questions

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous experiences and about how products worked, nothing really technical or confusing   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

One behavioral phone interview and was then flown out to Dallas for an on-site interview. Most questions were behavioral there as well. I would estimate there were about 20 of us in the morning, and then there were another group for the afternoon. Each candidate had four separate interviews. Note that this was for a university graduate position.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irving, TX (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

It was warm welcoming interview. The interviewers really go way out to make sure that the interviewers feel comfortable with the interviewing process. They allow to ask all the questions in the world to understand the culture at Microsoft, the job position, and question you want to ask.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very relaxed, all behavioral questions. I reached out to a recruiter from Microsoft.com and was set up with a screening interview. After that, I was flown out to interview in Charlotte, North Carolina. They arranged a paid-dinner in downtown Charlotte and we had interviews the next day. The final interviews just asked about customer support scenarios, why you want to work for Microsoft and behavioral situations. It's essentially a help-desk role, although they will tell you different.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter without applying. He asked me to schedule a phone interview. the phone interview went smooth and lasted for about 30 minutes. Next, they flew me to Charlotte, NC. where I had 4 back to back interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about anything mentioned in my resume and tested me on every skill. I had to code and write queries I had to trouble shoot. the HR part was the part where I think I messed up though.   Answer Question