Ocado Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Ocado Technology Interview Questions

Interviews at Ocado Technology

3.1

Senior Management Role Interview

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter with some standard basic question.
    She advised she'll schedule an face to face interview ... 3 weeks later I received the standard email template with no explanation.

Interview Questions

Ocado Technology Response

11 Aug 2020 – Senior PR and Communications Manager

Sorry to hear you've had this experience. We work hard at our remote onboarding process, so we'll take this feedback back to the teams and see what we can do to improve

Tech Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Washington, DC (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Pretty casual, straightforward .
    Called in on a fine morning, very laid back process
    Couple of people on the Interview panel
    Had a skill test before the interview, spent another 30 minutes talking to them.
    Overall, a very pleasant experience

Interview Questions

Ocado Technology Response

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology.

Interview

Two step process, First interview by a contractor with no HR person present. Description of the company was not comprehensive, and the team description was poor as they were still building the team. Basic competency questions for a BA.

Interview Questions

• What makes a Good requirement?
      Describe the difference between agile and waterfall...etc etc   Answer Question

Cyber Security Analyst Interview

Interview

It was nice, relaxed with 2 senior colleagues from the security department. I applied online and the process took 2 weeks.

Overall, I describe it very interactive and helpful.

Interview Questions

• They asked about Password Policy in companies.   1 Answer

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ocado Technology.

Interview

The interview process with Ocado was the most humiliating and degrading experience I have come across.

My interview time was moved twice in priority of other candidates (personally, I think it was extremely unprofessional to have been told this). The second time it was moved I was not even notified. I had sat in the online meeting for 15 minutes frantically calling the Ocado recruitment team 3 times and it wasn't until I emailed them when no one picked up that I received a call back explaining they had forgotten to tell me of the time change as another candidate had been scheduled in at my time.

When I was in the interview, a technical assessment was sprung on me unexpectedly - at this point I had been unemployed for 3-4 months and I had made clear my skills were basic. In the end I decided to end the interview as my skills were not up to scratch and I didn't want to waste anyone's time. Had I been informed, I would have had time to brush up on my skills.
    The interviewer was extremely polite and understanding despite the embarrassing situation.

The following day, I sent an email outlining my feedback and improvements that could be made to prevent others from going through this same experience, something I thought was very important considering the current situation where so many people are unemployed and just trying their best to get their life back to normality. I strongly suggested to give others the opportunity to showcase their best skills and experience by giving all candidates the necessary information in a timely manner.

Unsurprisingly given my experience with the Ocado recruitment team, my email was never acknowledged nor responded to and an official apology was never provided.

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocado Technology in September 2020.

Interview

Interviewer was enthusiastic and pleasant to interview with. I found the coding exercise easy, but got ahead of myself and overcomplicated my approach, ending up with a messy solution that could have been done in a simpler, faster way and with less need for the interviewer to jump in order to correct mistakes.

Although I was unsuccessful, I found the experience great and was even provided quite detailed feedback on the reasons I was rejected, upon request. This, made the rejection feel more like an learning experience than a point blank failure and motivated me to try again for Ocado in the future.

Hands down one of the best experiences I've had.

Interview Questions

• We discussed Java related concepts, including the JVM, Garbage Collection and then proceeded into a shared screen coding exercise.   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (London, England (UK)) in September 2020.

Interview

I applied online and received an e-mail from HR 3/4 weeks later asking to schedule an online interview with the hiring manager.

Had the interview with the manager, everything seemed ok and he advised during the interview that HR would be in touch shortly to schedule 2 further interviews.

3 weeks of radio silence later, during which I tried to get updates from HR and did not get any reply whatsoever; I got an e-mail saying they were really happy with the first interview and proposing 2 timeslots to choose from, for the next one.

The day before the chosen time slot, they sent an automated e-mail saying that they weren't happy anymore and that they re-reviewed the application and decided I wasn't the right person for the job.

Interview Questions

• What is BS8888 and a few other GD&T questions.
      What fabrication processes have you used?
      What material types and grades have you worked with?
      Standard interview questions, like why did you apply, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (Barcelona (Spain)) in August 2020.

Interview

Several steps divided into 2 days:

Day 1:
    - Phone screening with a Senior Dev (1 hour): mainly the questions were about java (some of them, tough questions). Then, a quick and easy online test ("Distribute Candies")

Day 2:
    - Soft Skills (1 hour): I don't remember the questions but typical questions, nothing weird
    - Pair Programming (1.5 hours): given a set of points (coordinates) find the ones that are inside a rectangle (defined by its coordinates). Force brute first and if you want to improve it, look for "quadtree" solutions ;-)
    - Behavioural (1 hour): similar to the soft skills but more focussed on your past experiences. You have to provide examples of what you did in the past in a given situation
    - Whiteboard (1 hour): design a shorten url service

Interview Questions

• Java questions (multithread, collections, immutability...)   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocado Technology (London, England (UK)) in June 2020.

Interview

Three stages: presentation, technical interview and peer interview
    Wasn't a great experience. Their interview process did not translate well virtually and they hadn't seem to have spent much time making the process smoother.
    In the presentation interview, the most senior interviewer spent the entire time looking out the window with theirs arms folded.
    In the technical interview I was asked to explain the architecture of a system I had worked on. They explained that usually they do it in a meeting room and if I had a whiteboard lying around then i could use that. One of the interviewers was clearly looking at his slack or email through most of it. And would ask myself or the other interviewer to repeat questions for them as they kept getting lost.
    The feedback email you get is some of the worst laid out feedback I have ever been given and my mind boggles that this is feedback coming from people who are at a managerial level.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you have worked with a difficult person   Answer Question
    • Describe the architecture of a system you have worked on   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Technology.

Interview

Overall it was the worst interview process I’ve been through in my professional life, and also the strangest one.
    Twice I was interviewed for a position that didn’t exist. These people don’t seem to be able to keep track of what’s happening with their hiring. On both occasions I was took very soon after that the role didn’t exist anymore without giving any explanation and complete disregard to my time.
    The interview itself is weird. There’s a technical part which is very CV focused, and you have to give a presentation about yourself to this large panel of people, half of which seem unengaged and sleepy from the start. The questions are textbook taken from an interview tutorial rather than targeted for the candidate profile. The interviewers (I can’t even count how many I’ve seen) could benefit from some training in giving interviews.
    The worse bit is the “feedback” they give is imaginary. I was given one with didn’t correspond to the questions I was asked, suggesting maybe my application was mixed up with someone else’s.
    In all, a poor experience and a total waste of time reminiscent of the experience you get shopping on the online supermarket.

Interview Questions

Ocado Technology Response

11 Aug 2020 – Senior PR and Communications Manager

We are sorry to hear you felt this was a negative experience. We will definitely take this on board to see how we can make this process better

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.