Okta Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Okta Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Okta

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

The process is the usual for tech companies, but I will try to elaborate.

1) Initial call with recruiter (sourcer) to elaborate more on the role and see if it's a fit.

Okta's recruiters, till the very end, had the best of intentions and
were very friendly and easy to speak with.

2) Technical phone screen with another software engineer.

This was a straight-forward algorithmic problem with one of their current engineers. They gave some time at the end to for me to ask questions. We had a good conversation about the company and what their experience had been, so I was more interested in the company after this round. Good feelings so far about Okta at this point.

3) Onsite (virtual)

I had a combination of further technical screens based on my resume experience with potential teammates and meetings with the team's leadership. This was not a deal-breaker, but, definitely for this onsite, be prepared to stay "on" for several hours straight. The onsite process did not allow for many breaks, and meetings tended to overlap, which added up at the end of the day.

The interviews were pretty nondescript and impersonal, which made it more difficult to get to know the team. Personally, I like to connect with individuals who could possibly become my co-workers.

Latter part of the day, however, I had an interviewer that subtly belittled my past job experience and skillset, even while I was coding. This was the deal-breaker.

Tl;dr for the reader: Remember you are interviewing the company/team too. I have previous wonderful co-workers who went on to work for Okta, so I don't want to attribute the above behavior to the company, but I do believe this was very unprofessional behavior on the interviewer's part.

Wishing the best for those who are interviewing.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Okta

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Okta (Seattle, WA (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

Simple interview process. They need to standardize process. As of now it’s very adhoc. I couldn’t get much information about role. Strongly recommend for freshers not much exciting opportunity for experienced folks.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta (San Jose, CA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

HR interview: First call for recruiter, general questions that does not make sense
    Hiring Manager interview: the manager that is hiring
    3 peoples in one meeting interview: bunch of developers in one meeting through zoom

Interview Questions

• SOLID design patterns: Describe the SOLID pattern   1 Answer
    • describe OAUTH2.0: What are the APIs used.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta in October 2019.

Interview

After completing the online coding test, the technical interview was arranged with Zoom. The interview is about a direct data structure problem. After that is just "do you have any questions". The interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Design a data structure such that it can achieve O(1) on the following operations: insert a key, fetch a key, delete a key and fetch a random key.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Okta in May 2019.

Interview

I applied through referral. The process took 2+ weeks. Recruiter setup a call to walk me through the position and team and then followed by telephonic interview with one of their staff engineer. The interview was average but I really had hard time hearing the interviewer voice. I had to ask him to repeat the question multiple times. I lost half of interest when the interviewer side is filled with lot of noise and low. I wish it was different experience.

Interview Questions

• It was simple design and coding question. And the questions built upon it.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Okta in March 2019.

Interview

Recruiter sent coding challenge, I completed it a few days later. I sent followup emails to the recruiters for 2 weeks after with no response. Several more weeks later, a recruiter sends a request for interview.

Interviewer initially said "you can make the code as messy as it needs to be to work, I can understand it". They kept interrupting me as I was speaking to tell me how something I'm saying/doing to understand the problem is unnecessary. After solving the problem, they complained at how "if-elsey" the answer was. The interviewer then went and edited my code themself, to add extra return statements and extra "else" clauses. They told me I should've saved a boolean for clauses that were checked twice. They complained about how messy the code was, reneging on what they initially said.

Interview Questions

• Given an existing function that takes a regex string and a word string and returns whether the word string matches the regex in the regex string (i.e. fn("a.c", "abc") will return true), add the regex asterisk operator (*) functionality.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Okta.

Interview

I applied online through one of the job board.( Linkedin I think). Then I was emailed about couple of days later regarding the online coding challenge First a code challenge which is pretty easy. Then the hr get back to me after 2-3 weeks for a phone interview. The phone interview consists of mostly basic algorithm questions. I heard back the next day for a 3 hour video conference, which consist of 4 meetings with engineers.

Interview Questions

• Whether a password is valid with several conditions: at a vowels, not triple consecutive vowels or consonants, and no double consecutive letters except for "ee" and "oo"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Okta in September 2017.

Interview

The initial coding challenge, followed by one phone interview and then a 3-hour interview with 3 different interviewers. They ghosted me after the interview despite my repeated emails to both my recruiters.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

The process started with a brief conversation with a recruiter, followed by a technical phone screen in Collabedit. After that I went on-site to the San Francisco office for a day of interviews.

It is a very cool company and everyone is super nice, smart and extremely hard-working. I'm not sure if I'm going to accept the offer yet, but I'm heavily leaning towards it. The offer was great.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Okta? What do you know about how the cloud works?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Okta (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online and had phone interview with their chief architect. The conversation dives deep into identity management and my background. It went well so I was brought to onsite. The onsite interview process was a nightmare !!!

1. The hiring team turned out to be a totally different team from the phone interview and they have no idea about my background, nor they care.
    2. The interviewers didn't come prepared at all. They just start looking at my resume while I was talking to them.
    3. You think Okta is identity management company? Sorry, they didn't even care anything about authentication, authorization, or web security. Two questions were asked: twoSum and thread contention, using C... seriously, treat me like a new grad?
    4. The HR person stopped the interview and let me go after two rounds. I drove 2 hours to attend the onsite interview, don't I deserve some respect?
    5. No parking fee or gas fee was reimbursed, even after I mentioned to them.

Terrible experience... glad I have offers from other companies :)

Interview Questions

• very basic coding questions, twoSum and convert integer to string, using C...   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.