Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated 3 Aug 2015

2.8

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Negotiation

Nonexistent

Community Health Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Basic standard questions about past international experiences, educational background, interpersonal skills, and scenarios you would encounter at your site. Very much a conversation and the recruiter does a great job easing you into the convo.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with conflicts that may arise in your organization i.e. witnessing corruption or theft within the staff?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

Very Standard interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions

• Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Peace Corps Medical Officer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Transparent and well organized. Reference from DOS very useful- I worked as locum tenens doctor at the US Embassy. Had several visits at the clinic I worked from DOS, area PCMO from Senegal, PC NP from local post. The whole process was compressed in 3 days but spread out over a period of more than 6 months.

Interview Questions

• About past medical procedures.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Brief, salary had fixed rates, benefits on the other hand where flexible.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

After submitting a resume through my school, I was contacted by email for a phone/skype interview. We spoke on the phone for approximately 30 minutes, maybe a bit longer. Great interviewers, very friendly, also asked quality questions.

Interview Questions

• What sort of research experience you have, both quant and qual?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Tampa, FL (US)).

Interview

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question