Philip Morris USA Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Philip Morris USA

3.5

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Richmond, VA (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, only last a few minutes.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Richmond, VA (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

Generalist, Hiring Manager and then Vice President

Interview Questions

• How do you plan to get up to speed sooner rather than later?   1 Answer

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Richmond, VA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Three Panel process of asking one technical machining questions. Also, before the interview one had to pass a 4 hour Machinist Test. Then there were a group of candidates selected to Brainstorm production and machine problems while being observed by 3 interviewers and they judged each of us.

Interview Questions

• Brainstorming Sessions, Fishbone Diagrams   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Richmond, VA (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

Three interview rounds. First a one-on-one interview. Almost entirely behavioral interview questions. If you pass round one, you are invited to a group dinner the following evening. At the dinner are 3-4 Philip Morris employees and the other 5-6 job applicants. They want to see how you present yourself in a social environment. They will act informal in order to get the applicants to let their guard down.

The next day is interview round two. Similar to the first interview but you are faced with a panel of employees and they ask more difficult questions to see how you react under pressure. Be prepared to use detailed relevant work/extracurricular anecdotes to support your answers.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you encountered during X job/extracurricular and how did you cope with it?   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation in which you worked with a team to solve a problem that you could not have accomplished by yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Pleasanton, CA (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

Began with a resume drop at a college career fair. Moved on to panel interview at a local hotel with a variety of individuals ranging from a campus recruiter, to sales mangers, to upper management. Second round was a day in the field with a corporate Unit Manager consisting of routine sales calls and merchandising. Next was lunch with the other prospective interns at an expensive local restaurant. Last, the interns were flown to Los Angeles and put up in an expensive beach front hotel for a presentation about the company and the internship experience. Overall impression is that the individuals at the company are not incredibly inspiring or intelligent, but the company itself offers unparalleled benefits and treatment.

Interview Questions

• If you were a copy machine sales person, and knew that a new product was coming out in a few days, yet your manager has told you that the company has important sales numbers to meet on the old product, how would you handle a situation in which a very trusted and loyal customer wishes to place a large order of copiers with you, just before news of the product release has gone public?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations are really possible. The benefits and pay are unbeatable, so you have little leverage as a college student to ask for more.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Schaumburg, IL (US)) in May 2010.

Interview

A vigorous and intense interview process, which makes sense for the type of personality that is required for this type of role. There was 3 in-person interviews, and a field-day ride with process with the potential District Manager. One of the interviews was a group interview with senior management, and included a case study on a sales call scenario with an unhappy customer. I found the interview process to be challenging, but worthwhile. I knew what I was getting into.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you will handle situations with unhappy/unsatisfied customers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a relocation package and a sign-on bonus.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Corpus Christi, TX (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

First interview was with an external recruiter.
    Second interview was a panel interview. There were 3 Unit Managers and 1 Regional Manager present.
    Third Interview was a ride along with future boss, and colleague. Hands on experience of what the daily role would include.

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. The job posting indicated a pay of $40-$45k, however due to my experience, they offered $56K. Since they came in so much higher than posted rate, I didn't negotiate.

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in September 2009.

Interview

Very Positive. Had phone screen with recruiter, then phone screen with hiring manager, followed by panel, then day in the field, then offer and background/drug test. Excellent company to get your foot in the door for business to business sales. Lots of training and skills practice. Manager was great, reps stay around for a long time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time when you had a difficult customer and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer

Territory Sales Manager Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedminster, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA (Bedminster, NJ (US)) in February 2009.

Interview

I showed my interest in Philip Morris at a college Career Day. You sign up and hand them your resume to let them know you are interested. If they like your resume they will call you for an interview. At a Career Day it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to sign in to show your interest, because they are looking for people that are willing to talk with other people and show leadership abilities. If you get a call for an interview, it is a 3 step process.

Interview #1 - There are 2 people that evaluate you. They ask you what you know about the company. Make sure you do you research and tell them everything - they will be VERY impressed. You can get this information from the company website philipmorrisusa.com. On the website they also list the values and mission of the company. Make sure you know the values and tie them into the questions that they ask you.

Interview #2 - There are 2-3 head managers of the company that interview you. They ask a behavioral interview (Example: What would you do in this situation?). They do this to see what type of person you are and how you deal with different situations. Then at the end of the interview there is a piece of paper with 4 questions on it. They will pick one of the four questions at random and ask you what you would do in the this situation they have given you. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION! Just be honest and be confident in your answer. They don't want to hear a wishy-washy answer. They want someone that shows confidence and leadership that will be proud of the decision they make.

Interview #3 - This is basically a trial run, but it is still an interview. They send you out on a day in the field with a Territory Sales Manager, and his/her boss so you get a feel of what you will actually be doing on the job. Make sure you help out the managers when they are doing things in the stores. Be very observant and ask lots of questions. Talk to them and show them you are picking up on things that they are doing, and that you will be able to handle the internship. This is the final step and they will let you know if they like you and want to make you an offer.

Two Final Hints:

1) Be confident and stress the fact that you think outside the box and that you are a leader. Explain how you can use your leadership skills to add value to the company.

2) Make sure it is not a moral issue for you to be selling cigarettes. They will ask you in almost EVERY interview if you have a problem with selling cigarettes. If you have an issue with selling tobacco products then this job is not for you. They will also ask you if you smoke cigarettes. You CAN - I repeat - YOU CAN say you DO NOT smoke cigarettes. I said that I did not smoke and I still got the job. As a matter of fact, almost everyone I know from the company does not smoke cigarettes. Do not feel like you have a lesser chance of getting the job if you are a non-smoker.

The people I have met from Philip Morris USA are very easy to deal with if you are a people person. If that is the case you will have no problem fitting in with the company. Good luck with your interview!

Interview Questions

• Do you smoke cigarettes, yes or no? If no, explain what your opinion is on people choose to use tobacco products.   1 Answer
    • Your company is not doing well financially and your boss has ordered you to bring money into the company by any means necessary. You have been dealing with a client for years and they have full trust in you. They are looking to buy a manufacturing machine that will bring in a lot of money for your company. The problem is, you know that the machine they are looking to buy from your company will be obsolete within a few months. However, your company is making a newer and better version of this machine that is coming out in 6 months. This will be a better choice for your client in the long run because if they get the other machine, they will be unable to use it when it goes obsolete in a few months. Your boss ordered you to get money by any means necessary, but you don't want to lose trust in your client. What do you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You cannot negotiate the offer. All interns get paid a standard amount, but you can not argue with the salary they are paying you. For the summer of 2009 the interns will be making approximately $20 per hour.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Philip Morris USA in December 2015.

Interview

Similar to all described as before. Made it to the "final" interview with panelists. Questions were easy star method. Trust me on two things: 1. Do NOT even THINK about applying unless you are willing to move immediately, there are no if's and or buts about that topic. 2. I did feel some ageism. Older workers (Meaning over 35) already have roots in their communities, why to work for this company they throw people all over the place, it is a mystery.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.