Potato Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Potato

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Potato (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Communication was extremely spotty in scheduling the initial contact. Weeks would pass during which I'd forget I had ever spoken to anyone at Potato and then suddenly I'd get another email apologizing for the delay, excusing it with it having been "another crazy week." It didn't seem like they were very interested in talking to me. Once I finally got to the point where I spoke to an actual person on the phone it went pretty quickly but they were still incredibly disorganized.

The technical interview itself was fine and involved a very open ended "how would you design this?" sort of architectural question rather than focusing on how much of any particular framework one has managed to memorize and I enjoyed that aspect of it quite a bit. The folks administering everything were quite junior and unfamiliar with a great many basic practices which I found myself spending a lot of time over-explaining which was odd. I can certainly see wanting to make sure that a candidate can explain things effectively to others but given the fact that I never spoke with any more senior engineers, that pairing choice seemed like a bad call on their manager's part.

Sadly, throughout all of the sessions, little ageist comments were dropped here and there about how it would be hard for anyone with kids to work there, how important the extracurricular social activities were to everyone and how there's an occasional game of "beer pong" in the office that all added up to drive the point home that this company is really just a clubhouse for privileged little boys and not at all the creative mecca they aspire to present themselves as. All of the projects they seem to be genuinely excited about revolve around video games and since I have absolutely no interest in video games I didn't think it made any sense to continue the conversation beyond that point.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Potato (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Process was ok, questions weren't very hard. Was actually surprised the interview was so easy. However I did get a feeling from the company they are somehow disorganised and don't have good coding practices in place. This is based on what their team leaders have told me. I didn't feel like it was a good company to work for. They did mention they have social activities, but they sounded geeky and pretty childish. Had I received an offer it wouldn't have been on my priority list.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Potato (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

For me was bad experience; they told me that will be a Front End position and they ask Back-End questions and Full-stack questions that I think those questions are not for Front-End position.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Potato.

Interview

I had a short phone screen with one team member, which went pretty well. I was scheduled to come in for an onsite but that was canceled in favor for a video call with two other members from another office. Questions were all fairly standard, but I think they were looking for someone they jived with who could talk their ear off about process and practices for 40 minutes. Overall I got the vibe that it wasn't as peachy as the reviews make it out to be. A few days later I got a rejection email with some feedback on why they had passed.

Interview Questions

• - What do you know about Potato?
      - Go over over you background?
      - Technical and situational questions (I cant' remember but they were all pretty standard)   Answer Question

UI-UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Potato (Bristol, England (UK)) in May 2019.

Interview

I had one first Skype interview with a member of the the design team. The call lasted 1 hour and covered my skills and experience, and some insights on the company (what’s the team like, how they work, kind of projects Potato has been involved into). The first interview was quite positive and after a week I was called to schedule a second with another member of the design team and a technical director. Again, questions about my background and a portfolio review. After this, I didn’t hear anything from them until I chase them a couple of time, until, after a couple of weeks, I received a template email saying I didn’t make it to the next step.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Potato (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed by two face to face interviews with two employees. Questions were straightforward and there were no real curveballs. The interviewers sometimes asked the same questions between interviews.

Office Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Potato (Bristol, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online with CV via their website, then a telephone interview with HR, then a face to face interview at their offices on a 2:1 basis, which took an hour. It was a nice experience and relatively informal, some more fun questions were included. Feedback however was very basic and standard boilerplate.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions, what I did, why and would I do things differently.   Answer Question

16 Mar 2017 – Chief of Staff

Hi there. Firstly allow me to thank you for applying for our office assistant role in Bristol.

As you can imagine we get a lot of applications and we aren't always able to get back to candidates with as much detail as we might prefer. However, if you'd be kind enough to get in touch with the the hiring team we'll do our very best to get you some more actionable feedback to guide future job applications. The best of luck with your job hunt!

Junior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Potato (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The whole process was unprofessional and slow.
    It took a lot of emails going back & forth to organize the phone and F2F interviews

Phone interview was quick screen.

F2F was the worst I have attended.
    The interviewer was rude and came across that she didn't want to be there ( probably forced into it) I also felt that I was judged based on my age and race!

She kept looking at the watch stating it's Friday afternoon we all have places to be!!!!
    It lasted 10 mins. Unprofessional!!

Interview Questions

Potato Response

26 Jun 2017 – Head of People

I'm sorry that you've felt it necessary to do a second review after the first was removed by glassdoor for breaking the guidelines, in being both inaccurate and unsubstantiated and therefore libellous.
    I'd love to resolve this misunderstanding but won't respond in full again as you will have read my previous reply and it has not calmed the water despite this being such a one-off and uniquely disappointing review.
    My previous response stands and I would love to talk to you properly about your experience with a view to gaining some agreement and perhaps identify a more positive way forward.
    Please do call us on 020 7193 8840 and ask for the Head of People.
    Many thanks.

Senior Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Potato (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process was long, impersonal and fairly cold. I didn't feel like the employees interviewing "sold" the company. The role play scenarios gave the sense that these scenarios were indicative of their clients and how developers interacted with project managers within the organisation. Processes and clients were also not spoken about in a particularly good light.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a client who has a project with pre-existing designs which aren't technically feasible or user-friendly but they don't want to pay for a re-design?   Answer Question

31 Aug 2016 – Chief of Staff

Hi there. Many thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear to that some of the interview experience left you disappointed. We generally think of ourselves as pretty warm, relaxed and friendly - surprised and sorry to hear that you felt otherwise. We’ll be looking at areas we can improve on here.

Regarding the role play scenarios - we’re reviewing how we’re talking about these to make sure no-one thinks they’re representative of how things work here. We can appreciate that if you thought they were real, you might have had a negative view of the opportunity, but we can assure you that this is not the case - these were very much worst-case scenarios designed to help the interviewers make an assessment!

If you’d like to speak about any of this further or have any further feedback, we’d be happy to chat, just email us.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Potato (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Back in February, I sent Potato my CV and a portfolio of open source projects I'd developed. I heard nothing and assumed I'd been rejected, when six weeks later I received an email inviting me for a face-to-face.

The meeting seemed to go well. Both my interviewers seemed switched on people who cared about what they did, and their excitement was contagious. But they threw me a curve call when they told me I'd be starting as a contractor. This was not what I'd been expecting - at all.

I was quickly pencilled in for another interview and spent my weekend considering whether to proceed, and doing a lot of research into how contracting would work: despite never doing it before, I was willing to give it a shot for the sake of an exciting opportunity at Potato.

At the next meeting, though, another curve ball: apparently, a permanent position _was_ on the table, I just had to express my desire for one. (I thought I'd done this at several opportunities already). Still, despite being thrown, the interview seemed to go well, and I was told I'd hear something "within the next day, two days tops".

...And then nothing. I contacted Potato three times, asking for an update, and received three promises that I'd be phoned back "within the next 48 hours", and all to no avail. This presumably means that I didn't get the job.

Overall, my impression was of a very talented team working in a very poorly organized company. My experience was haphazard and muddled, and I couldn't help conclude that this probably belied some dysfunctional working practices.

Interview Questions

Potato Response

10 Jun 2016 – Head of People

Hi. Firstly, I'm genuinely sorry that you had such a frustrating experience. Over the past six months we have been putting an enormous amount of effort into improving our hiring process and to find out that you heard nothing back at all despite spending a significant amount of time with us is incredibly disappointing. I'd love the opportunity to discuss your frustrations in more detail in order to prevent anyone else from having a similar experience with Potato. If you're willing to chat, I'd really appreciate it if you could reach out to me directly at stevie at [our url]. Thanks and again, I apologise.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.